Resharpen A DE Blade

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Uncle Trojan, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

First things first, moderators, if this is in the wrong category, feel free to delete it. Okay, do you have any of those old green package Gillette blades lying around somewhere? Maybe you picked some up as a decoration piece. Maybe you received some as a gift from a family member. Well, I sharpened one. It's not as sharp as a Feather, understandably, however the fact that it is actually possible to sharpen an old 1907 Gillette blade is almost mind blowing to me. Here's what I did:

1. Rubbed it back and forth flat, all around on the stone (don't know the grit).

2. Inserted it into a razor, and stropped it on a leather strop for about a minute or more.

If you find it isn't as sharp as it should, repeat step one and two until it's ready.

I'm no honemeister, or anything like that, however I got it good and sharp enough to shave with. I'm not normally one to reuse DE blades, I just thought the old 1907 Gillettes are so cool, and I've always wanted to shave with one. I might try throwing it in the old Twinplex to see what happens. If anybody has tried it before, let me know what you did, if you haven't done it before and you are ready to get your hands dirty, give it a try!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Very cool. I just purchased three packs. I might give it a try.

3. Uncle Trojan

I hope it works out for you!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I would be worried about cutting my strop. How did you avoid that? Did you hold the blade flat like a straight razor or at an angle?

Very cool!

5. Uncle Trojan

I completely understand that concern, I held the blade flat like a straight razor. Its tricky to get the angle, you have to really keep an eye on it.

Everybody's Favourite Uncle

Ijustmissedthe50s and Keithmax like this.
  6. Uncle Trojan

And I'll add, that palm stropping would work too If you didn't want to use a strop.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Keithmax like this.
  7. Uncle Trojan

If you can zoom in and see, the first photo here is the one I resharpened. The second one is a blade untouched after over 100 years. The first photo has a straight edge, the second photo you can see the crooked angle.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

"Not to be resharpened"
    "No stropping"
    "No honing"

You rebel, you! :p;):happy088:

9. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Valet Auto Stops had a built in mechanism for stropping the single edge carbon steel blade in the razor. Feather now makes these blades in both stainless steel (not stroppable) and carbon steel (stroppable).

20200330_085809_HDR_downsize.jpg

10. Uncle Trojan

I've been looking into an autostrop but since I got my Rolls I've backed off a bit. What would you consider a good price for one?

PLANofMAN, Jorvaljr and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thank you for the pics and explanation. If I get a chance to buy one the old blades I’ll try to hone it out of curiosity.

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Autostrops are a dime a dozen except for the Type A models. You shouldn't pay more than $20 online with shipping factored in, exception being the the Type A models . They aren't that desirable or great enough of shavers that you see anyone in the vintage realm using them on a regular or even semi-regular basis. Also it is caveat emptor with them, for every one good working razor you'll find at least as many with levers that don't stay tight when shaving, bent base plates that affect how well the razor works and broken blade stops which make the earlier ones unusable. Usually the ones that are preferred are the Type B and C models that can use Gem blades with the spine removed along with the Feather blades. Another rule of thumb with Autostrops, the earlier the model the more aggressive the razor.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should slightly amend this, the ones designed after the merger with Gillette aka the VC3 and VC4 models are a bit more robust than the earlier designs. They don't have the same issues being a bit more solidly built and using moveable tabs to hold the blade as stops. They only take Feather blades though or if you can find them Kai best carbon steel single edge blades.

14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

If you are looking for valets i have 2 different types. Pm if you are interested
    D3419FDA-87DF-4E13-922C-57771E845E7F.jpeg AA33896E-2DB9-4A16-A057-4F847B1EDF3F.jpeg 5E00D606-D15C-4469-8B4F-80524E9A85C6.jpeg

15. Uncle Trojan

Tedolph and Jorvaljr like this.
  16. Jorvaljr

Congrats! Hey no worries. I happen to have 2 sitting in a box. I have one that use regularly but i modify a gem blade to use it.

17. Uncle Trojan

Would you mind telling me how I can do that? I'd sure appreciate it.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Here is how I do it with standard single edge blades. This only works with the Valet versions that have this type of head
    1460617F-80B3-4B27-8E5B-3B370B70C8CF.jpeg

The tools i use plus an old valet blade
    IMG_7271.jpg

With pliers grab the very end and work it back and forth.
    IMG_7272.jpg

Eventually you will loosen and be able to separate the blade from the end cap
    IMG_7273.jpg
    IMG_7274.jpg

I usually just cut off these edges because they can be a little too long
    IMG_7276.jpg

Should look like this
    IMG_7277.jpg

Slide it in all the way to the other end
    0E433A06-C84D-4978-BCD8-F6189E523D32.jpeg

And now sir, you can enjoy your shave
    IMG_7279.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  19. Uncle Trojan

Wow. Wonderful presentation I thank you very kindly for putting this together. It seems very simple if I get the hang of it. Here is the razor I ordered. It looks similar to the one you showed me. Will it work on mine? Again, you're a good man for showing me this. [​IMG]

20. Jorvaljr

I dont think it will work. The head on the one has tabs to insert into the blade
    CE6B7545-1EF4-444B-9814-683B2F1052CC.jpeg 1A733F58-FA35-415B-9DE3-502A2175777F.jpeg E13F102D-DD03-4834-B143-A6BC67ECAA20.jpeg 8C68D7C2-1BF6-410D-84CA-93FB542EB35B.jpeg B128DEAC-9B49-4AF9-8CC0-E3EA53BABD21.jpeg