Resharpen A DE Blade

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Uncle Trojan, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

An aloxite DE hone is the only thing I've kept because it works. I use it rarely but it'll do the trick.

3. Uncle Trojan

Never heard of an Aloxite. That's vintage I presume? I might check it out.

Everybody's Favourite Uncle

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is the material the hone is made of aka aluminum oxide. Company that made them was Carborundum. They were meant to be touch up hones for straight razors, used when the blade starts to pull. Lap the blade 5 times while wet and strop, test then repeat if necessary.

5. Uncle Trojan

I might get one. Any stone would be better than that little dinky pocket knife stone I have . Thank you!

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The one you'll want is the no 45 or similar. they will say safety blade hone and be a squarish shape with one side concave.

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

s-l1600.jpg

You put your DE blade on the concave side press in the middle of the blade lightly with 2 fingers rub it a circular fashion about 5 to 6 passes, turn over and repeat then palm strop the blade afterwards. Bottom side of a ceramic coffee cup should do the same.

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol or see if you can cancel your order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  9. Uncle Trojan

Nah. I figure if I can figure out how to resharpen a 100 year old gillette I'm sure I can figure out a way to make a blade fit the razor . I've also been experimenting making my own soap. I love working with my hands and figuring out ways to be more creative. I guess I got that from my father and grandfather. Nothing better than being proud of something you made yourself. Same with cooking. But, this isn't a cooking forum so I should probably pipe down about that .

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The trick to using the aloxite DE hone is *very lightly* pressing it so just the cutting edges contact the hone. Pressing hard enough to flatten out the blade does nothing except remove the printing. Respectfully disagree with using a coffee cup or water glass. Results are iffy because proper angle and pressure can't easily be maintained. This hone is designed specifically to do what it does, and it does do it (I'm thinking carbon blades here -- there's a few reasons it's mostly a waste of time to try to hone stainless).

11. Uncle Trojan

Yes you can see in the photos I took of the honed blade, I pressed too hard on my stone and took the print off. I appreciate your tip because I've turned to carbon blades only, and I don't want the print to come off my vintage gillette blues. Again, thank you for the light pressure tip. I'll try it out next time I hone.

Stay safe

-

Ijustmissedthe50s and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

I used a 3 hole gillette last night. I have a ton of these and after seeing this thread i thought id give it a try. I had to stop mid shave during the first pass due to tugging. I pulled out my hones and attempted to put an edge. It worked ok. I used 2 hones and a twinplex to get an edge i can use. But i had to keep stopping to continue to hone.

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  13. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I wish I could remember. I must have bought it five or six years ago? Maybe I paid $25-30.00 USD for the razor, metal case and strop in good condition. It is a "Model C" and takes Feather blades without modification. Gives a very close double pass shave. The open comb makes a big difference in comfort.

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  14. Uncle Trojan

I got one of those last week that uses the Feather and it shaves really well, I picked up another one in lesser condition just to have an extra strop. That one takes the modified Gem. Never got around to money with it because I've been doing heavy cleaning on my barber tools. Might try it next week.

Tedolph likes this.
  15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The early 1900s Gillette blades were much thicker blades, so it makes perfect sense that they will sharpen up nicely. Compared to modern DE blades, those old Gillette blades were like a block of steel. lol

Uncle Trojan and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Having it be the "worthless" razor in a razor lot with 3 or 4 other razors you actually "wanted." That seems to be how a lot of us end up with Christie's, Ender's, Autostrops, wedge blade razors (like Rolls) and other razors with tenuous (one manufacturer) or non-existant modern production blades.

IAmTheJody and Uncle Trojan like this.
  17. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I am not seeing anything "tenuous" about Feather SE blades. Maybe I am being naive?

18. IAmTheJody

Interesting vintage alternative...
    Dremel Electric Razor Blade Sharpener

Screenshot_20210517-175501~2d.jpg Screenshot_20210517-175542a.jpg
    Screenshot_20210517-175641b.jpg Screenshot_20210517-175709c.jpg

Keithmax, Jorvaljr and Uncle Trojan like this.
  19. Jorvaljr

20. IAmTheJody

No, not mine. Ran across it on eBay while browsing. I'd love to see it in action as well. First I'd ever heard of such an animal, which makes me wonder if they sold many. Also wonder if it's the same famous Dremel brand.