What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

They certainly catch the eye.

esvh, Karl G, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Big old C. Friedr. Ern 15
    Brush: McPhail shift knob
    Suds & Splash: PAA Red Planet
    This was a devil of a combo... the brush is very ergonomic - makes sense since it is a shift knob :), and I love the feel of this razor.
    332A2316-3639-4B41-8753-559576A71A3B.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

esvh, oscar11, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Lovely razor - how wide is that blade? :)

esvh, Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  4. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I've been chroming the dome since October or possibly September, and always with straights. Lately I've been so overloaded at work that when I get home I just eat and sleep, consequently, I'm often pushing two weeks between shaves for the roof, and occasionally a week between shaves for the rest. Last night was about two weeks growth, and the old wedge sliced through like butter. When shaving that much growth off, you just have to keep reminding yourself to go slowly. When I go too fast, the longer hair wants to push the blade edge down and dig in, so I end up with nicks and irritation. My only issue last night was from a blemish I already had been having problems with. Otherwise no nicks and no irritation.

In order to shave your head with a straight, you have to learn how to shave blind, by feel. I learned that years ago by maintaining my back hairline. I would reach my left hand back, find where the hairline was and lay my finger across it as a guide. Using my right hand, I would reach the razor around, touch the spine to my finger, and gently roll it until I felt the edge touch my neck. You start slow, but in no time, you develop a sense for where the blade is, so eventually I only used the finger across the hairline as a simple reference point, and basically just shaved away without having to touch the blade to my finger at all. The transition to whole head was surprisingly easy. The only place where I routinely find it difficult is a narrow band from right behind one ear and around to right behind the other. The contour of my head there and the awkward-ness of how to best hold and angle the blade has often led to either nicks or less than perfect smoothness in the shave. Other than that, I do get pimples on my scalp sometimes that get opened up, but I can pretty well tell how my shave is going in real time just because of how it feels.

Honestly, I would have a harder time shaving my head with a different kind of razor at this point because I'm well used to it, and I can't think of any advantage I could get with a closed blade system like a DE ora dreaded cartridge razor. The space around the blade gets plugged too easily on either with the volume of hair being removed, and the angles to hold those handles seem a lot more awkward to me. Plus, none of them would give nearly as smooth of a finished product.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

esvh, oscar11, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  5. TestDepth

Thank you Karl! A nice 8/8 to back of spine.

esvh, Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, you could chop with that razor. :eek: :happy088:

:smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect:

esvh, oscar11, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Koraat 7/8 with a 1/4 grind
    ID - 2 (1).jpeg

Silverloaf 8/8 smiling near wedge
    ID - 1 (2).jpeg

esvh, Billyfergie, oscar11 and 7 others like this.
  8. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Thanks for the description, still I have some hair on my head. Though it is quite sparsely on top so I use a hair clipper with 6mm distance. Perhaps in a near future I will go your way, not that fun looking like a monk..

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

esvh, oscar11, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  9. Mr. Oldschool

That is exactly what I tell everyone! I was tired of looking like a monk!

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

There has been OT to deal with at work so I’m not shaving as often as I’d like.

Today I used:
    My fave BIG brush
    The mystery soap mug
    $17 - 6/8 John Jay, Dust Store find w/MOP inlays.
    Intrepid Man - a Stirling interpretation of some Creed scent.

[​IMG]

The shave device is recently back from a field trip to the Lone Star State. It was in rough shape when I found it. Probably seldom if ever used, but the pearl tang had me. It still bears the marks of neglectful storage. Very thin grind and light weight. Great shaver.

The good thing about OT is the extra cash to waste on shave goodies I don’t need......like maybe one of those modern Bokers with the Mother of Pearl tang inlays. Hmmm.

Great shave, great day.

esvh, Billyfergie, oscar11 and 10 others like this.
  11. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

$17! great buy

esvh, Karl G, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  12. lottenhem

Sunday shave, J.A. Hellberg, Half hollow. Deadly silent, requires an angle of 15-20 degrees. A little bit to aggressive, cuts off everything....
    [​IMG]

esvh, Billyfergie, oscar11 and 8 others like this.
  13. Mr. Oldschool

You seem to have a different razor nearly every day. Just how many do you have?

I'm starting to suspect that you're the Swedish razor supplier to the world...

14. Mr. Oldschool

That is astounding for a $17 find! Did you take any before pictures?

I've been pulling a lot of OT lately myself, so I feel ya there. Money is good, but too tired to shave most days.

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  15. lottenhem

+50 I think, if you ask my wife it is to many, 20 if she asks me...

esvh, Mr. Oldschool, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

4B6ED36A-6E23-4C70-B6F9-D39A24E388BA.jpeg

esvh, Keithmax, Mr. Oldschool and 6 others like this.
  17. TestDepth

Robert Williams
    Brush: Vie-Long Bullgoose LE 2012 horsehair
    Suds & Splash: PAA Red Planet
    The blade caught the leaves in a cool way... at least I thought so. :)
    57C7D0B2-7B8E-42FD-8109-46F445C7EAF6.jpeg

Here is a better pic of Mr. William’s work. Fun spine work and monkey tail.
    18A8DB9E-035A-41B1-A627-BC87FD7533D7.jpeg

Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

esvh, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  18. deepsea

deepsea Well-Known Member

Thiers Issard 7/8
    102B22AF-D73E-4A7C-BA9F-9E60F7F01F0F.jpeg

esvh, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Continuing to test the new Pierre La Lune, this time with a better razor, a Solingen import that can take the best of edges, a West Side Grinding Company ‘Lucky Strike’. This edge shaved better than the Monkey (no surprise) and smoothness wise felt like a 10k-12k Naniwa, or maybe a 16k Glass Stone. This is backwards a little from the edge that it had on it. The important thing is that both edges so far were not aggressive or ‘bitey’, and they were smooth.

Neither edge was as smooth as the best Jnat edge and I will refinish the Solingen on a Jnat tonight and try again tomorrow for a comparison. My preliminary thoughts after 2 edges that were very good before the La Lune is that it won’t beat the best 1% Jnat or 1% coticule, but may be an ideal maintenance stone for those that aren’t into honing that much. It seems like a barber hone that’s actually fine enough to deliver a comfortable shave. And maybe more strokes will get better edges out of it?

4D701E1F-9BD2-4563-86FC-B878418050F2.jpeg 7A4B33B2-16B0-46FA-BE3C-BD2550854FEC.jpeg

esvh, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Another exceptional shave. The Otto Busch outperformed itself today. And I’m still loving that Old Spice scent :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Castle Forbes 1445 Shaving Cream
    Otto Busch Weltmeister Sonderklasse 265 11/16
    Old Spice After Shave

05F05D20-CF78-4E97-A024-EFFDF3AE3FE1.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

esvh, Billyfergie, Steve56 and 9 others like this.