How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BlueShaver, Oct 4, 2019.

?

How do you make your coffee?

1. Drip (Percolator)

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. French press (cafetiere )

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Capsule (Nespresso-ish)

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Espresso machine

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. AeroPress

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Moka Pot

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. I drink Instant

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  8. Coffee is for cowboys

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

This suggests that there is only slightly more caffeine in a cup of coffee than in a single shot of espresso. A cup of coffee is approximately 4 ounces. A single shot of espresso is 1 ounce. So, if you were to compare a full cup of coffee at 4 ounces with 100 to 150 grams of caffeine to 4 ounces of espresso, then the 4 ounces of espresso should have between 320 to 480 miligrams of caffeine. Am I reading this correctly?

Keithmax likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My typical cup of regular coffee is 6 to 8 oz though and I think that's typical these days of other people. I don't know the last time I had or was served a 4 oz cup of coffee.

battle.munky likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

battle.munky likes this.
  4. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

No matter how you do the math, ounce for ounce the espresso machine, moka pot, etc. extracts far more caffeine than does a drip process.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have a full Yeti 20 oz Rambler of pour over plus half another one every day (at least). I do agree with the ounce for ounce statement though. I don't know if I could have 4 oz of coffee and not be offended whether it be espresso, ristretto, americano, or whatever-o. I'm super over caffeinated in general. 4 oz, regardless of extraction method, is a non-starter.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. As can be attested by my heart rate when drinking espresso. My brother-in-law loves espresso and made me his special, I did a 10 min cardio workout just sitting in my chair.

7. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Sunday morning coffee: Lavazza Organic beans freshly ground. Very nice.
    Sunday_Coffee.jpg

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Interesting backsplash too.

awk-m4 likes this.
  9. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Ok. That's fine. But that doesn't address the point of my post.

Tedolph likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

And there's no such thing as an "espresso bean" as suggested above. Espresso can refer to a grind for an espresso machine or to the process of extraction but people make espresso with all kinds of beans.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

11. Tedolph

Respectfully Sir, most people associate espresso with a dark roast. National rosters, e.g. Starbucks, even have roasts called Espresso Roast and it is usually a very dark roast with a mix of Arabica and Robusto beans, ground finely for an espresso machine. I am not looking for an argument here, just passing along how I believe that these terms are used colloquially.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Again, that's a roast, not a reference to a bean. I'm aware of the colloquial usage, I typically buy Italian Roast beans at Peet's rather than their "Espresso" beans, and they are no less suitable. I probably shouldn't have quoted your post as you weren't the one using the phrase.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  13. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

We make Folgers classic in the old 60s/70s GE percolator. I drink mine black with a dash of salt to take out the bitterness.[​IMG]

Everybody's Favourite Uncle

Keithmax, Enrico and battle.munky like this.
  14. Tedolph

Get rid of the percolator and your coffee will not be bitter!

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  15. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

Really? I always thought it was the coffee! I've got a drip machine in the basement I'll pull out tomorrow and try it out. Thank you!

Everybody's Favourite Uncle

Tedolph likes this.
  16. battle.munky

I loved percolated coffee. We found one online and used it for a few months until I left it plugged in and empty and the heating bit broke...

@Tedolph, is that true? I've had coffee prepared almost every way imaginable and have experienced from pure bliss to a bitter hellscape of regret. I thought it was the beans and/or the roast. Our backup is a drip machine and it has made the most reliably poor coffee I've ever had. The percolator we had made really rich coffee but I don't recall it being bitter.

I've learned a good bit from this thread already. Glad I noticed it again.

Uncle Trojan and Enrico like this.
  17. Tedolph

Well, think about it: the percolator method just keeps boiling the coffee over and over again and running it though the same grounds over and over again. No other method does this. Can that possibly be good?

battle.munky and richgem like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

WINNER!

Tedolph and battle.munky like this.
  19. battle.munky

If they are good beans, sure, I thought anyhow.

20. Tedolph

Coffe, and the water with which coffee is made should never exceed 205 degrees F. The percolation method heats both the water and the coffee to 212 degrees F.

battle.munky likes this.