What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Nice razor!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

esvh, oscar11, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Herder 49, soap was Czech and Speake 88 lathered with a Rooney beehive, and Harris Pink finished up a great shave.

182DDBD3-F3C9-42B4-ACB5-3005D7F95605.jpeg

3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Enjoyable shave this morning with this lovely Lund near wedge :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    Ethos Lisse Collection Lavender Shave Soap
    Lund 11/16
    Ethos Lisse Collection Lavender Skin Food Splash

14A965EC-E3EC-4E33-B25E-8155D06B2C65.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

esvh, Keithmax, lottenhem and 7 others like this.
  4. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

6/8 Thiers Issard
    Viking Shave Cream
    Num 1 Boar Hair Brush

Spent a bit of time touching her up on the 12K and 15K stones then the strop.

It helped bring out a finer edge. Had a two day growth and the Thiers performed beautifully.

thiers.jpg

thiers1.jpg

esvh, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

6/8 Dovo Bismarck, cream, AS, and EdT were Dior Eau Saivage.

This razor is one that’s well ground, and I rescaled it in thin celluloid scales from a trashed Wostenholm. Without the heavy, squarish, ‘surfboard’ scales that all modern razors seem to be scaled in, it handles very much like a M.K. 32 which it resembles. Putting one of these blades in thin scales with a proper wedge makes a remarkable difference - it’s what they should be selling. Weight is 49g, much lighter than the original in wooden scales.

65522736-74F1-45EA-A8CF-2D7D8641396D.jpeg 0B308377-5327-446E-A10F-ADEA86685BCD.jpeg

ischiapp, esvh, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Lovely :love055:

TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Karl!

TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Overtime Windfall

I have bought my share of new modern manufacture straights this year with overtime earnings and it is only May. I gotta stop this stuff.

Being the pearl tang enthusiast, I really wanted one of these Böker 6/8 extra hollow jobs, so I bought it. Paired the shave up with a recently acquired Simpsons Emperor 3 (another OT windfall) and Stirling for Him soap and aftershave from the top of the ranks on The Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks.

Great shave other than the ‘stabby point’ mark on my cheek. As the Mrs and I headed out for our weekly grocery errands, she put her finger on it and gave me that smirky look and eyebrow thing (she is just plain mean at times, but still I love her). This razor has a rather short reach with a shorter blade, so I’m gonna take that point down a bit soon.

This is my first Böker so I decided to take it with a factory edge. I’ve never really understood the big deal on the ‘shave ready’ stuff. I’ve always thought that all shave tools will dull anyhow and the owner should accept the responsibility that it is up to him to deal with the sharpness as he sees fit.

I honed it up using my usual unapproved, unauthorized, and illegal methods that no one should ever try at home.

My initial examination revealed that in spite of the obvious beauty of this piece, it possesses the same manufacturing defects found in hand made shaving gear from century(+) old European razor makers still trying to compete with the Modern Chinese.

Odd that they can precision fit mother of pearl in the tang, but can’t even extra hollow grind metal to a few of thousands of an inch perfectly straight. As a lover or thin grinds, I do find it an acceptable trade though.

I did the sharpie thing on the edge to see where I was hitting first. Very odd that I was hitting on the edge side of the bevel first. I hope nobody is going to try and tell me Böker is using more illegal stuff than I am instead of the authorized gear. Didn’t take much time or need much metal takeoff. Spec’d to be 1.2210 carbon steel at 59HRC, very common and not difficult to work with.

Very happy with the acquisitions, and end results, uh except that stabby point thing.

557954A4-2AD5-4A58-B030-F175423AA61E.jpeg

esvh, taskind, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  9. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Great post

esvh, Karl G, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

That is a beauty Bill! OT well spent. :eatdrink047:

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Beautiful Boker Bill (BBB)!

12. TestDepth

Joe Chandler custom
    Brush: Shavemac Ebonite Synthetic
    Suds: MDC Original
    Splash: Dr Jon’s Flowers in the Dark
    Finish: D.S.& Durga Freetrapper
    A nice earthy lavender finished off with some pine. The razor is probably a little over a decade old now, but love the design elements of the heel and tang. :)
    18A76F72-8325-4EA2-8360-0B44947F53FB.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

esvh, taskind, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Sweet piece.
    Love the style.
    Love the jimping.

esvh, taskind, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

Thanks Bill. One of those I don’t see ever leaving... but none of them seem to ever leave. :)

esvh, taskind, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Send those dogs to my pound Tom! :happy097:

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm quite fond of Boker Razors, they tend to be very well made, and straight as an arrow. Although I like the look of covered tangs, I dont like how they snug up, at the pivot end, and not fond of how light they tend to be. But, they do look nice.

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Mike Martinez 8/8
    ID - 2 (1).jpeg

Snail Forge 7/8 in Wootz steel
    ID - 1 (2).jpeg

esvh, taskind, TestDepth and 6 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

esvh, taskind, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:signs011: …and that Martinez has everything going for it, too :git:

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Just a shabby old Filarmonica 14 Novodur for me, soap and balm were ABC, and a Keyhole 4 did the suds.

D932A674-2684-48A3-9546-282848452FD6.jpeg