Cracked handle repair help needed.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jorvaljr, May 10, 2021.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Hey gents,
    Is anyone here willing to help me fix this bulldog? Or know who can? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    IMG_7382.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  2. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, this is a worst case scenario with no easy solution.
    A: Anneal the handle, pull together the crack, find a thin brass tube which fits inside the tube while the knob can still clear it. Solder it in, sand down the neck piece so it will fit the smaller tube diameter. Handle will work, crack will be visible
    B: Find someone who does laser welding, most likely a jeweller, as the knurling will be filled in and has to be recut.
    C: find a plain piece of fitting brass tube and replace the original. It won't b original, but doesn't look bad.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This is a proven and easy fix.
    First, separate the top and bottom from the handle.
    You get a hollow aluminum dowel that will fit just snug enough, inside the handle, where you can pull the pieces together, it fits tight. Cut the dowel to where it will fit inside and not interfere.
    Now the top part of the handle, where it attaches to the head is a stressed area. So, the head that fits inside the handle will need to be sanded down some, so it doesnt crack again.
    Put a little fast drying epoxy on the outside of the dowel, and where it connects to the head/handle, as well as the crack. Use some gentle clamps to pull the crack together, and wipe off all epoxy that oozes out. Let it set well, and if done correctly, you will have to look closely to see any crack.
    Oh, polish the silver with silver polish, before you do any of this. If you wait until after, some epoxy residue will keep some areas from polishing up.
    Make sure everything functions well, before you add the expoxy, because there is no going back.
    Its really an easy fix.

Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. romsitsa

Problem with the epoxied tube is that there won't be enough space left for the inner tube.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

That might be true, with this model, that is shown. The fixes I have done didnt have the wide twisting rod going through the handle. British Models like this one, might need a very thin piece of tubing, if it can be found, and if it fits.

6. DaltonGang

Can you post a Picture of the size of the inner rod, of your razor?? If possible?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. romsitsa

It has the same dimensions as New improved or New De luxe, the inner tube is roughly 1 mm thinner than the inner diameter of the handle.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

IMG_7400.jpg Here you go. Here is my other one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. DaltonGang

Excellent. I was hoping it wasnt all attached. Now that I've thought it over, here is what I would do.
    1. Remove the handle from the top part of the razor. Easy.
    2. Tape the area around the top part that Does Not Connect With The Handle, so the finish isnt scratched. Painters tape will work.
    Also tape the bottom knurled part of the handle.
    3. Sand the area that connects with the handle. You will need to uniformly remove metal, to remove any stress on the handle.
    4. Take the inner twist rod, and wrap several layers of way paper around it. Not too much. Insert it the detached handle, and see if you can pull the crack shut on it. Try some very gently tape covered clamps. If it shuts, and the rod can be removed, even with very light resistance, good. But the lighter resistance the better, you will need a little gap inside, for the epoxy.
    5. Take clamps off, and apply epoxy to the middle sections, with the rod in. Try to stay away from the ends, especially where it attaches to the top part. You can put some near the bottom end, but try not to let it go all the way there.
    6. Put clamps on, with the inner rod still in place, and wipe, and scrub all epoxy that oozes out. Twist the rod inside a little, so epoxy gets around.
    7. Put epoxy around the top part, where the handle connects. Just a little, so it doesnt ooze into the handle area. Clamp that area down, and wipe off all epoxy well.
    8. Attach the head of the razor, and tighten down, slightly, so everything aligns.
    Be careful to not get epoxy in or near the threads.
    9. Let it all set up, a few days.

Take the rod out, and remove all wax paper. It should be much stronger now.

Jorvaljr and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Btw, it shined up nicely.

Jorvaljr likes this.