Magical Traveling Box Mystery Tour 2021

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Joewa, Mar 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

what make is the white handled brush ?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have no idea ..... at some point I was told it was an Omega, but normally Omegas are hollow and this is quite hefty; so I don't think so.

I think it could be a Persian Jar Vulfix

It's got great heft to it, but I realized that I prefer short brushes a bit more.

:eatdrink013:

cliffb599 likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well the Enoch is a little too efficient for my liking (a Red tip Flare is the maximum of my liking); though I can say that the Karve has found a home with me.

My list of takes (I always feel like a pig)

1) The Karve with three base plates.
    2) A schick (L series I think)
    3) A Gillette Fatboy E4 as a gift for my brother.
    4) & 5) Field books (I'll use at work)
    6) Two beat shaving brushes that had been in the box two rounds.
    7) A bag of razor parts (handles and top plate)
    8) Two packs of injector blades.
    9) Three tucks of DE blades.
    10) A restored brush.
    11) A tin of Zartgefühl Ziegen Bart Shaving Soap
    12) Henri etVictoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars shaving balm
    (casualty)
    13) Godrej shaving cream (cool menthol). (casualty)

I'm waiting to hear back from @MR41 for his address.

:)

Troy M likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If I don’t hear from @MR41 by the 11:59 pm today I’ll be contacting the next person in line. Let me know if you think I should wait longer.

6. stingraysrock

I am okay with waiting a few more days for him to respond.

Enrico likes this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

This is the first I've heard of these Traveling Boxes, and even if I qualify (not sure) I think I'll pass for this year, and just watch this thread and observe.

Still, for future reference, a couple of questions occur to me regarding protocol:
    1. You say "You must take more from the box than what you put in. (or at least try to)". How do you quantify that? Number of items? Value?
    2. I thought I saw a reference to an "initial contribution" somewhere in this thread, other than by @Joewa.
    Is a contribution encouraged before the box starts its tour or just as it passes you?

Enrico likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

A few of us have "seeded" new boxes and started them on the way, or revived old boxes and added to them over the years.

The idea of taking more than what you give is mostly based on quantity. TSD is slammed full of generous folks, and it is very easy to pack the box with more than you take, and that makes it hard for people down the line to give all they want.

The main thing is to have fun sampling gear, acquiring gear, or passing on what you don't want or need, or have duplicates of.

We ask that quality items are put in the box. Everyone can get modern Williams or VDH easily enough, so those items need not be put in the box.

Anyway, feel free to join, there is plenty of room!

Enrico likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

@Lancre As far as I can tell, you qualify.

As to your questions ..... I think each person has a moral compass, conscience, etc that should guide them on gives and takes. My usual problem is the box isn't big enough for me to put in as much as I'd like. I personally like to purge the box of items that have made their rounds and need to make room for other items. I've been wet shaving long enough I could probably start 4-6 boxes, so I try to ask anyone has any wishes in the box. I literally have shelves of AS and brushes on hand so if need be (and I have) the box needs a quick refill, I can aid in the re-stock. Usually the box is quite self perpetuating due to to the fine members here at TSD.

Everyone has their surplus even when it may not be shaving ..... we've had the gambit of variety added to the boxes ..... it's all good.

I hope that clarifies thing though I think @stingraysrock may have been more succinct than I.

BTW you're welcome to join the tour.

:)

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    cliffb599 likes this.
  10. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delayed posting spent the day in the woods.
    @Enrico I am ok with waiting a few days for @MR41 to reply .
    @Lancre Send me your info and you are in.. The only request beyond what stingray and Enrico said is for you to report on what you are taking and giving.

stingraysrock, cliffb599 and Enrico like this.
  11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information and the invite, gentlemen. As I said, I'd rather sit this one out and watch. If there's another one down the road, I might sign up.

What I could donate would be things like Enders Speed razor, Durham Duplex, Gem, some IB soap & splash, some vintage brushes. Mostly user grade, not showpieces.

Enrico likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy088:

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

This is a user grade box. That's the purpose of it, to let people take things they haven't had before and use them. We're not expecting newly rhodium plated 1934 Gillette Aristocrats - although if you do have such a showpiece that you want to get rid of, feel free to put it in the box.
    :rofl:

Lancre, John Beeman and cliffb599 like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well it's been five days ...... do we wait or carry on. The box is waiting for the next place to go.

:eatdrink047:

15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I say go...

Enrico likes this.
  16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

5 days is long enough IMHO.

Enrico likes this.
  17. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Go. !

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Pm sent to next in line

:scared007:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  19. stingraysrock

Sweet! C'mon box!

Enrico and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I worked today, so I'll be dropping it off to USPS tonight and it will be moving by Monday.