Williams User Poll

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by poppi, May 11, 2021.

?

How Often Do You Really Use Williams SS?

1. Daily

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Multiple Times Weekly

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Weekly

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Bi Weekly

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Monthly

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Are you kidding?

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So how often do people really use Williams? Long time ago I used it very very often but then discovered other soaps/creams. Never had a problem getting a great lather/shave with it though. When you get it right, it's as good as a lot of high priced stuff. Just takes some practice and patience.

What say you?

Slipperyjoe, DrStrange, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I try and i try and i cant get it to lather. I get airy foam that disappears . But it is super slick

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Haven't used any vintage stuff, sellers often want more than I want to pay. But I've had no problem using the modern stuff, especially with a boar brush.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Interesting poll. I have about 20 pucks of the modern version, only one of which has been opened. I think Ive used it 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years. I got them little by little when a local grocery chain stocked them for a buck. I really like the stuff and can get a pretty darn good lather if I remember it's fickle lol. But like most of you, I have so many other soaps that it doesnt come up as often. i

Paul Turner, brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Haven't used it years. Toom many other good soaps out there that I don't have to fight with.
    Chris @Ijustmissedthe50s probably gave the best one word description of Williams - fickle.
    Also, I'm not a fan of the skeeter-be-gone stink.

DaltonGang, Shaver X, brit and 4 others like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's good and works well enough.

Currently the only puck I have is the last one my dad had in rotation. Over the last 8 years, I just use it a couple times a year to remember him or when the urge hits.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    highe, wristwatchb, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Vintage Williams - three or four times a year

New Williams - never (tried it once or twice a long time ago)

Shaving two or three times a week with enough soaps and creams for a small village I find that most only get used occasionally

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

The poll doesn't cover my use. When I drop a puck into the mug, I 3017 the puppy. Depending on whether it's a modern or vintage puck I get between 50 and 125 shaves per puck. If I used it in a one-morning-stand type of rotation that would equate to twice a week, so that's what I voted.

Roughly 1/3 of my shaves are with Williams over the last few years. My first year of wetshaving was mostly WMS. Since then, the percentage has been dropping simply because I have so many more soaps demanding attention.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I didn't vote, but here are my thoughts. I only use vintage tallow Williams. I have been using it for the past seven+ years. I have used it sparingly and I have titaniced my way through pucks. I always prep a new puck using the @GDCarrington method https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-vintage-williams-project.45842/
    It has never failed me and I highly recommend it for lovers of the classic Williams shave soap. I have about 9 backup pucks, so I should be good for a while.
    IMG_8296.jpeg

Rusty blade, Dave in KY, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have not had any luck with Williams over the past 7 years. I've got too many easy soaps and creams to waste my time with trying to coax lather out of it with my water. My last puck went to shower duty last summer and I don't think I got a skeeter bite at all.

11. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I can get from a new dry puck, to meringue in six minutes.

But Williams leaves a soapy residue that I can't rinse off my brush using only water
    and I don't really like it a lot.

12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I would like to know your secret method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  13. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I learned it from three YouTubes.
    The first two were bad reviews about how Williams
    only made large bubbles which collapsed quickly.
    The third was a " how to" video which emphasized that if you just keep lathering,
    the bubbles become finer and finer until eventually the texture becomes everything
    that it's supposed to be.
    The significance of the first two videos, is that they emphasize the consequence
    of not having the perseverance to do it right.

I think this was the how to, video, but I don't really remember:

brit, Jorvaljr and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have hard water which makes some soaps difficult to lather including new Williams.

With vintage Williams I just put a little hot water on top of the puck and then float the mug in hot water while I’m in the shower. I use the water from the puck as pre-shave and then spend about two minutes with a stiff boar and I’m ready to shave.

brit, Enrico and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  15. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I don't do rotations exactly. I tend to use a soap for at least a few days or a week, then at some point I'll just use it until it's gone. Last puck of Williams I used up was probably a year ago. It was the modern stuff and it's not horrible. I have a puck of vintage Williams in a container now that's been used for a few days here and a few there over the past month or two. Before too long I'll probably just go to town on it. I think most soaps work best when they get used daily or at least often. Modern Williams was definitely one of those. Once the puck is good and hydrated the lathers are ok.

Shaver X, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  16. swarden43

6 minutes?!? You must have Popeye arms.
    6 minutes to get a decent lather falls under my definition of "fighting" with a soap.

But that's me.

Slipperyjoe, Troy M, Tedolph and 2 others like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I agree, I only load maybe 20-30 seconds at most. My entire shave doesn't take 5 minutes.

Troy M, Paul Turner, Tedolph and 2 others like this.
  18. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

I can use William's if need be. I can use anything, really. Barbasol is my go to, so I can most likely shave with Motor Oil and be fine.

Everybody's Favourite Uncle

Shaver X, Troy M, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. swarden43

Fortunately I can use what I want to, not what I need to. If Williams was the only soap I could get, then I would have to use it. *shudder*

Troy M, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The slickness of Williams actually works for me. I don't always want a really thick lather ,especially when using a shavette. I understand that I have different preferences in a soap than most, but I like what works for me. Covid killed my sense of smell in large part, so that is no bother. I am about to finish a puck, and will replace it. I probably use it once a week.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk