Are these the hair shaper blades to use in a Dovo shavette with a green insert?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Lancre, May 6, 2020.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes

Lancre likes this.
  3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Thank you. I've heard they're great for shaving.

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The blades are great. Less so in a Dovo. It flexes just a bit too much.

If you end up liking the blades, find yourself an inexpensive vintage weck sextoblade razor. That's what they were originally designed for.

Lancre and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the Weck, but looking at a photo of one being offered on EBay along with a Durham, I' seeing a lot of blade exposure, more than I'm comfortable with. I'll try the shavette first in a few weeks, then see if the itch strikes for a Weck.

Thanks for the tip.

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Wecks come with guards. They slide off and are reversible so you can switch hands and sides when you shave. The guard is easily lost.

That being said, I don't know anyone who used the guard beyond the initial shave.

I believe Diane makes a Weck replica/knockoff.

Edit: yep. Diane Hair Shaper #21. Comes with 3 styles of guards. Sells for under $5.

Lancre likes this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

That would make a difference. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Would you recommend one over the other?

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Try the blades in the Dovo first. See if you even like them.

I'm tempted to recommend vintage Wecks over the Diane, since the build quality is slightly better, but the truth is that the Diane shaves exactly the same and has modern touches, like a blade ejector tab.

The Diane #21 is a carbon (well, stainless) copy of the Vietnam/Korean war era medical prep Weck. Blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Lancre likes this.
  9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Well, the blades are on order and should arrive next week. After I try them in the Dovo, I'll decide if I want to order the Weck or the Diane.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

As an owner and frequent user of multiple Weck razors, I highly recommend them. I know the blade visibility looks daunting, but it actally helps me find the right angle better. I've had far fewer nicks with the Weck than the Dovo. Now that I have the Dovo down I no longer have issues with it, but I prefer the build quality of the Weck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Lancre and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

The Personna blades are on order. I already have the Dovo, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll try it with the blades it came with, then the Shaper blade. After that, and depending on how badly I cut myself, I'll think about purchasing further hardware.

Thanks for your advice.

Trigger and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

@Lancre I have used the Personna Hairshaper blades in my Dovo shavette and I have had great shaves with them. Your technique needs to be on point (pun intended), otherwise, you will cut yourself badly. I started out using 1/2 DE blades and never had a problem with blade chatter and any other supposed flaws with my shavette. If you can shave with a Dovo shavette, then you can shave with anything. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Lancre likes this.
  13. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I have no problems with irritation or cuts using the Dovo with any blade I've thrown in there, not the hair shaper, or the longish blade that came with it, or 1/2 DE blades.
    But I do have problems getting a DFS out of it. I know, practice, practice, practice. My basic problem is that the grain on my neck is mostly left to right, with a number of whorls to confuse the issue. So an ATG final pass is right to left, and the length of the shavette, or any straight, just doesn't want to fit between my chin and clavicle. I try different things from time to time, but it's usually easier to just pick up my BET or SS.

Trigger likes this.
  14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am fortunate that my beard grows so that I can go south to north on my neck to get a smooth ATG.
    In your case, you have an odd hair growth on your neck. I would do 2 WTG passes on the neck or have your blade be slanted instead of straight up and down when going ATG on the neck.