My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[/ATTACH]
    Round 1 of the Magical Traveling Box Mystery Tour 2021 and the Little Green Brush made it back to me. I have a soft spot for it, so snagged it.

IMG_2048.jpg

Lathers like a real champ!

:D

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I pick this Ever Ready brush up from ebay a couple years back and finally decided to finish it.

s-l1600-41-2.jpg

Removed the knot and cleaned up the handle. Set in a Frank Shaving 22mm flat top silvertip badger.

IMG_2062-2.jpg

I set the loft at ~46mm. I'll try it out tomorrow

And as always ............... more to come.

:D

3. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Wow looks great!

Enrico likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

very nice.............

brit likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That's a beaut @Enrico ! Look forward to hearing about your first shave with it.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Enrico like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Jim. :)

Thank you Sara; though to be honest I'm not much of a reviewer. It preformed very well if a little too relaxed, but really I wouldn't purchase another Frank Shaves knot due to that it was unusually long for a 22mm knot. I had to bury it in the handle all the way ..... minimum of 25mm to keep the loaf down to 46mm and that's with a diameter of 22mm. I bought this knot about a year and a half ago and was so put off by it; that not only did I complain to the manufacture of the knot, but I only just use it now. For the price I paid for it I could have gotten a very nice knot from Oumo, TGN, or Maggards. Now you may ask what's the big deal about it being long? Well the rule of thumb in setting a knot loaf is about twice the diameter of the knot and usually I only have a limited space to sink the knot; I was fortunate that this handle gave me this much room.

Oh well, that's the price of trying knot vendors.

:eatdrink013:

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Restored a butterscotch Baton 7644 that I picked up a couple years back.

Before
    IMG_1393.JPG

After
    IMG_2094.jpg

It's a cute little butterscotch with a 20mm 2 banded finest knot from Maggard's. It was actually a very easy restoration and quite satisfying.

As always ..... more to come. :D

8. brit

brit in a box

looks fabulous Keith.fine job..:cool:

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

looks much better

brit likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:thanks: Gary

Thank you Jim .... The original knot was quite fried, but I've always like the simple beauty of this particular brush.

:happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool.love the colors.fine job..:cool:

Enrico likes this.
  12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

So pretty! The 2-band knot really makes the butterscotch pop!

jimjo1031, brit and Enrico like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Gary ..... Believe it or not, I have another one of them that needs to be restored.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:thanks: Jody

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

hmmn..future ;)..will be in touch..:)

Enrico likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you ..... But the loft isn't as tight as I like though. :prrr:

:)

brit likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

brit likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I'm back with another one .....

I had a handle from an Omega shaving brush I had harvested the knot from, but thought it was too nice to throw out. Later I found this stenciling brush and thought I could build a nice barbershop brush.

The parts .....
    IMG_1785.JPG

The new Barbershop Beehive .....
    IMG_2098.jpg

I thought of a nice Cashmere knot would look nice, but didn't have one on hand. To be quite honest once I put this Maggards Black Synthetic up to it, I knew it was meant to be. They call it a lame name Black Synthetic, but I call it the Black Bear.

Well after stacking about six pennies (layered with epoxy) to take up the proper space, set a nice 24mm Synthetic Black Bear knot in to place. As I've said in the past don't prefer the barbershop brush, but I sure like making them.

The Barbershop Beehive is ready to go!

And as always ..... More to come! :D

:eatdrink047:

19. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Fantastic! And it gives me an idea.

My grandfather whom immigrated from Italy, owned a barbershop in the Greenville Hotel in Greenville, Mississippi from the mid 1940s until he passed away in the 1960s at which time then his son, my uncle, took over ownership.

These were my grandfather's barber brushes. The one on the right in which he carved an R - for our last name - on the bottom of the handle, is one I'd love to convert to a shaving brush and use as homage to him, if it's possible to convert it. It has what looks like a small crack in the wood at the "collar" but it doesn't extend up and through any part of the brush bed.

One of the pictures is of my uncle cutting someone's hair while my grandfather sits in a chair reading a magazine.

His flat barber brush handle is bone.
    IMG_20210608_001243~2.jpg IMG_20210607_235713.jpg IMG_20210607_235740~2.jpg IMG_20210607_235753~2.jpg IMG_20210608_001148.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

PM me Jody, but I'll be getting back to you after lunch ..... I have appointments in the morning and need to get some sleep. :signs062:

IAmTheJody likes this.