Whatever happened to the hand written letter?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Rusty blade, May 23, 2021.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Check out www.richardspens.com first

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I agree. I have kept every hand written letter and card from the year I was deployed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sara-s likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Pendemonium.com is also a good source

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Really? That is shocking. I guess I have been gone to long to know these things.

MR41 likes this.
  5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Sadly, yes. Some the kids now can’t even read it.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

How do kids sign their name if they can't write?

MR41, brit and Troy M like this.
  8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Many school districts still teach cursive, but not to the extent that some of us dinosaurs experienced back in the day, which is not really a bad thing. How many of us actually want teachers to smack a child's hand with a ruler now if they hold the pencil incorrectly? Does anyone still want a teacher to tie down a left handed student's left arm so they will use the "right" hand? I still have bitterness toward my second grade teacher.

Most of my students write in cursive at the high school level. Most of my students can read my cursive on corrections. I also teach drafting/technical drawing, so I teach lettering as well.

Many adults I know now do not write in cursive.

Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

They Can write, just little or no cursive. And their signatures are usually First letters and scribble or just some strung together block. And everything they sign at work ( where I am) is e-signature.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

They also do not use paper checks.

brit and MR41 like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Letters and telegrams have been replaced by email. It is instantaneous and free, but just not the same as a letter. I think both have their place.

The last letter I sent must have been sometime in the 1990s. I have had an email account since 1989, but did not have home Internet service until 1997.

Some pretty good new pens can be had for $20-$30 or less. Here are just two of many examples:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZRVGB2/?tag=thshde-20
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVDW57W/?tag=thshde-20

richgem likes this.
  12. Schumi D.

Schumi D. Member

We have no time for thinking. We can't rid of our smart phones and can't sit beside a table. Take a nice pen especially an inked pen. Enjoy the flowing of the words on a white paper. Nowadays it is unusual and useless to write a hand letter. I keep writing for my own. I also think fine writing is an angle of education. It is a must. We should tell and teach fine writing to our children our friends.

JSN-L21 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Shaver X and Rusty blade like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As long as there are felons in prisons, there will always be a place for a hand written letter.

Keithmax, brit and Shaver X like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Smartphones have both airplane mode and an on-off switch. Either one will put the kibosh on our electronic leashes.

There are some remote corners of the world that have neither electricity nor Internet access. Those can be the places that are most worth writing to. Also as long as there are felons with bungholes, there will be cell phones in prisons.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Stephen Beckwith

Stephen Beckwith New Member

Gosh, this thread made my brain ache thinking back to when I might have last written a letter by hand. The office job I started in 1982 or 1983 had a secretary that took short hand and typed all of our correspondence.
    My wife had wrote all our greetings and birthday cards and (when we bother) the cards between us are the same one, returned, over and over and usually hand made by her.
    So I think for me it would have been early in 1978 when I applied for a job that saw me work up to the position mentioned earlier.
    On the other hand, my wife corresponds by hand written letter with her (two year younger) aunt back in the UK.

It was mentioned about getting a ruler to the back of the hand whilst learning cursive. That reminded me
    We had school meals and cutlery was laid out for us.
    The "dinner ladies" would walk around and switch back any cutlery that the left handed amongst us would change from the usual knife on the right, fork on the left. If they had to do it again, the child would get a slap to the back of the head!

Keithmax, brit and Troy M like this.
  16. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

i gladly be your pen pal :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've live in parts of the world that would see the fancy paper, boxes and tissue paper; and they would be perplexed at what are they going to do with this. They much more appreciate the gift in a container or wrapped in a blanket or a scarf. Functionality was desired over frivolity.

:eatdrink013:

Keithmax and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i remember the "dinner ladies"..:eatdrink047:

Stephen Beckwith likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

same way they tell time with handless clocks..;)

20. Stephen Beckwith

Stephen Beckwith New Member

Of course, I meant to say "monitors" who were, in our school, the teachers. My Mum was a dinner lady and would never have cuffed us!

brit and Enrico like this.