June 2021 30-Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by wristwatchb, May 26, 2021.

?

In June, I plan to:

1. Complete a rule

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Complete a focus

4.8%
  3. Do it my way

42.9%
  4. Buy more stuff

23.8%
  5. Instigate shenanigans and tomfoolery

28.6%
  6. Start using Tabac and turn my life around

9.5%
  7. Eat more ice cream, cookies, and fried onion rings

42.9%
  8. Keep changing my answers to affect Paul Turner’s poll projections

52.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to the June 2021 30-Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion!

We’re a group of enthusiasts who primarily help newcomers get consistently great shaves and hopefully start enjoying the process of traditional wet shaving.

The 30-Day Crew originated in January 2015, and the party continues after 78 consecutive months! Over the years, several gents have led the charge, including @Bama Samurai (Chris), @NCoxSTL (Neal), and @Primotenore (Joseph). Joseph continues as our fearless and fragrant kingpin, but I serve as your humble guest host this month.

We’re a friendly bunch, and we use first our names. I’m Charlie, a lifelong Kentuckian, and I like to shave well, have fun, live dangerously, tell time, and overindulge in ice cream. Some of us have been here awhile, so please excuse the inside jokes. Stick around, and you’ll soon find yourself knee-deep in the shenanigans!

So, what’s a 30-Day Rule?

30-Day Rule: use one razor, one brand of blades, one shaving brush, and one shave soap or cream for a month. This allows you to eliminate variables, use time-tested techniques, evaluate your results, seek out advice as needed, and repeat the process. Many newcomers master their shaving technique using this approach and soon find themselves helping others.

What kind of razor, brand of blade, shaving brush, soap, cream, etc. should I use for my rule?

Pick one setup, and stick with it. If blue is your favorite color, pick the blue razor. If you like shiny stuff, polished chrome is definitely the way to go. Skip the blade sampler, and pick one brand. Any of them will be fine, and it’s the same story for shaving brushes. Use a shave soap or cream that lathers easily and has a nice scent…or no scent if that’s your thing. Let your nose and budget decide. Bottom line, the setup you use during a rule does not matter if your tools and products are not defective.

Many folks have concluded that Technique Trumps Tools. In other words, any properly functioning shave tool can deliver acceptable results. That’s great news, especially if you found your razor in an attic or purchased your shaving brush at a yard sale. After you’ve developed mastery, you’ll shave well with most anything and can then enjoy a wide variety of experiences.

How about a 30-Day Focus?

30-Day Focus: improve or learn more about some aspect of your technique. You may choose to use a certain razor, while varying other items in your setup, to fine-tune some aspect of your shaving technique. Or you might use a different razor each day and keep everything else the same. Maybe you want to experiment with different lathering methods or rotate through all the shave brushes in your collection? Some of the hoarders…uh…gents here will use a focus to consume a shaving product in order to make room for something new. Use your imagination. The sky – or your pocketbook - is the limit.

Anything else?

If neither a rule nor a focus turns your crank, do it your way! We’re just glad you’re here. Detailed posts and photos are not necessary, but they’re helpful and are always appreciated. Don’t fret if you can’t respond to everyone. Life gets busy. We understand.

We play nice and follow forum rules. In particular:

1. Everyone is welcome. Newcomers are encouraged to participate and ask questions in order to learn. That’s the main reason we’re here. Some of us hang around to help others and learn new things, for the comradery, or to show off our latest tool or foo-foo product.

Beware that the conversation may wander into grilled foods, ice cream, cookies, dogs, life, tractors, family, boot camp, motorcycles, bead shows, retirement, Alabama football, work, unapproved Pennsyltucky straight razor honing methods, home improvement projects, diesel trucks, haute horology, music, Oud fragrances, shopping at Piggly Wiggly, fast cars, etc., but it eventually returns to shaving.

Occasionally, one of our resident craftsmen will show off a handmade item. Fragheads have even infiltrated our ranks and stunk up the place.

This is the friendliest and most helpful corner of the Internet, and we know there’s more to life than shaving. We don’t care if you put your feet on the furniture. Just don’t hog all the cookies.

2. Respect everyone. The Golden Rule applies, and good-natured fun is welcomed.

3. Avoid sensitive topics. This is a hobby forum with a global membership, so we strive to keep the conversation informative, encouraging, and fun for everyone.

So, invite someone to tag along with you, and let's make June a month where everyone learns something, has a blast, and keeps their blood off the steel.

2. Here I am again! Got a bit lost with work last month.

Last month I focused on getting my lather right and this has greatly improved. I didn't realise just how thirsty some soaps are!

This month I will focus on my Fatip special edition with the open comb. I really like this razor and it gives great shaves. I want to improve
    My technique.

Hembree, jluc, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

Good morning, guys, and welcome to June!

I'm doing things my way this month. I plan to use my fat handle Gillette NEW SC that I picked up from @jtspartan and a YAQI Katana SE head generously PIF'd to me from @Hembree. I re-knotted my @MrEE LE brush with an Omega boar, and I'll bring it out later this month. I'll also continue working through a tub of TOBS Sandalwood Cream and a bottle of Stirling BoS aftershave. Blades and foo-foo juice will vary.

Most importantly, I plan to change my poll responses during the month in order to goof up @Paul Turner's projections. :)

I look forward to a month of great fellowship, shaves, learning, and shenanigans. Invite a friend to ride along with us!

jtspartan, Primotenore, brit and 10 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

Simon, welcome back! I'll follow your Fatip focus with great interest. A Fatip is on my want-to-buy list.

I couldn't agree more with your lather comments. The quality of my shaves took a leap forward when I got it right.

jtspartan, Hembree, brit and 8 others like this.
  5. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Tuesday June 1, 2021
    Razor: Gratiot Krect Spiral Curve Slant
    Blade: Wizamet (5)
    Brush: Trotter Handcraft
    Soap: Baron's Choice 1508.5 Project
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Aqua Velva
    Fragrance: n/a
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 937

Continuing the goal of soap reductions and currently working on number 3 I think ( I forget ) Other than that it's science experiments from shave to shave. Thanks for filling in Charlie @wristwatchb and hoping relief comes to Joseph @Primotenore as well as others that are caregivers. It's an exhausting job but what family does. Good on you all !

Yesterday involved a morning of secular work and home by noon to drop a tree by myself for the Outlaw (FIL) It involved a good size Mulberry tree with 3 sides we couldn't drop towards due to Electrical Wires, a Cherry Tree and a carport. Trunk forked so 2 decent size drops. It involved, a ladder, ropes and my truck. I won and the tree lost with no collateral damage but I did get a good rope burn on my right forefinger. Hey man, that's my shaving hand...........STELLAR shave this morning and off to work. Have a great day Everyone !

IMG_20210601_055441834.jpg

6. wristwatchb

Dave, I'm glad you're riding along with us again this month. You have such a cool variety of gear, and it's always fun to see what you are using. Do you have any shave-related goals in mind for June?

jtspartan, HighSpeed, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

My theme this month is Jumbling June. I will be mixing and matching my gear as I see fit. I will be using my shavettes, straights and safeties this month. I will be using more of my other soaps because I only have 3 Stirling soaps that are appropriate this time of year. I will be traveling to western Maryland to attend my nephew's wedding this weekend so it will be my first time that I will put together a travel kit. I probably will bring my VDH TTO razor, Tabac, Old Spice AS and my Barbury synthetic shave brush. Of course, it is not written in stone. Looking forward to this month of shaves and comraderie.

8. Trigger

Nice setup and shave Dave! You really worked hard yesterday!

Hembree, 9nein9, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  9. Dave in KY

Thanks for the kind words Charlie. Yep, as stated - Soap reduction and Science. That's as structured as my personality allows ;)

I did vote 4 times........

Do it my way
        Buy more stuff
        Instigate shenanigans and tomfoolery
        Eat more ice cream, cookies, and fried onion rings

jtspartan, HighSpeed, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  10. Dave in KY

Thanks Joe, wood for camping in October was the byproduct :happy088:

Hembree, JACarbone, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic shave and photo Dave. Good job with the getting the tree down safely.

Hembree, JACarbone, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 1, 2021
    Wolfman WR1-OC (0.61mm)
    Feather
    MrEE #4 with Maggard SHD
    Godrej Menthol Mist Shave Cream
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]

Happy Tuesday Everyone and welcome to June 2021. I will do a non focus Focus by using anything that strikes my mood. My continued goal will be to use up some of the soap/cream inventory. To that end, I pulled out the Godrej Menthol Mist shaving cream. My wife insists on bringing these creams home from the Indian grocery store. I find the creams to work very well and are bargain priced. After one use, I can say that Menthol Mist will be one I want her to bring home again. The scent is light and fresh with a real hit of menthol chill. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

13. Trigger

Fine shave Clint. Have an awesome day.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Joe. I hope you have a great day as well.

15. - Fatip special edition open comb
    - Arco soap puck
    - trumper silver tip badger brush
    - Amazon blade

I'm using amazon blades as I got them free with a razor. The razor's a bit meh as are the blades, but I just cannot throw away blades, so they're getting used up!

Last month I learned that light pressure with my brush works wonders. I'd been far too heavy handed. I tend now to throw my pucks in an empty Taylor's of Bond Street shaving cream bowl and it's great for lathering. For me, Arco requires plenty of water so my brush is pretty wet, but not dripping.

The Fatip really encourages riding the cap which is great. I did need to ensure the blade was even both sides as it is possible for the blade to show more on one side than the other. This is not a major problem, but you do need to be aware.

This is my first open comb and I really like it. More lather seems to hit the blade or it could be riding the cap lets more through.

Had a good shave. A couple of rough spots on my neck. Some feedback on the Alun. 3 passes and a very nice result.

jtspartan, HighSpeed, Hembree and 9 others like this.
  16. Trigger

June 1 SOTD

Good morning guys!

Straight Razor Shave #277
    10/8 Max Sprecher (50)
    C-Mon Heritage Collection SHD Badger Brush
    Proraso Green SS and AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's WH
    Whiskers: 40 hrs

20210531_153854.jpg

Today is my 1 year anniversary that I first shaved with Mad Max. It was a momentus day because it was my first custom and my first über large blade. I decided to use the same setup that I employed that day.
    Everything went well on a 2 pass shave with minor touchups. It resulted in a near BBS shave without any blood or irritation. Finished this shave with the application of the alum, witch hazel and matching aftershave. I am happy with the 50th shave with Max. However, Max has been getting tired so I decided to refresh him with the Crox pasted linen strop. I wiped off the blade and stropped on the linen and leather. Max should be ready for our next shave. Have a great day guys!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I had a feeling that was going to be your "most important" plan this month!

HighSpeed, Hembree, JACarbone and 4 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

First shave of the month was:

prep-NiveaMen Bodywash(Fresh Wave)-in shower
    shave-Razorock Lime Burst soap
    brush-Stoylin 26 mm. "Pro-Handle" synth.
    razor-Gillette Sensore Deux Pivote Plu Jettable
    A.S.-Mennen Skin Bracer
    Fragrance: Passion 4 Men

Very nice shave all around. I did get a Knick at NW Central Porcupine, but it didn't cause any damage. I did my "Ice-chip" routine across the jawline for the finishing touches there(similar to chipping ice off your car windows-course if you live in the South or Far West, you don't have to worry about that persuasion). Cheeks&sideburn areas are fine-same with all of Cactus Nation(below jawline). I haven't used Skin Bracer in a real long time, which is my excuse for forgetting to protect it from looking like Niagra Falls as it came out. I forgot that in that regard it is just as bad as Aqua Velva. But I got a nice spread of it across the face and neck. It helped calm down the Knick, too. Most Excellent.

19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I appreciate you leading this month, Charlie.

20. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

First Straight Razor Shave
    20210531_193228.jpg
    Dixie Master Barber straight razor
    Razorock 400 synthetic
    Stirling Sharp Dressed Man soap and splash

First...the soap. What can be said about the Stirling. Everyone knows it is just good stuff and this morning was no exception.

Now onto the blade. I completed two full passes with a third pass on the neck with no blood loss. :happy108:
    The blade is just a tad tuggy but overall I am pleased with the results. I probably need to spend a little more time on the canvas and leather. It took a while to set the bevel because of a few rust spots on the edge. It was a great learning experience and I have a long way to go. Honing is fun and relaxing.

A little witch hazel followed by the Stirling juice.

Take care gentlemen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.