Why not vintage?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by wchnu, Jun 6, 2021.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Why is a new fangled thingie with changeable plates better then a vintage adjustable?

Simple question. Why pay all that money? It’s not hard to pick up a good slim or Super adjustable at a good price. Want a German tool then Merkur. No extra parts to keep up with.

Quality? What more do you want? These vintage razors have past the test of time many times over.

So other then having the newest more expensive toys to show why get them?

2. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

I 100% agree. I have been discussing the problems of a 6C on another site. I'm an experience shaver nearly 50+ years of cutting and recently have been battling razor burn with the 6C. I don't have a lot of patients for such tomfoolery when I realized just grab the slim or fat boy and be gone with "the new fangled thingie".

Hembree, brit, Tedolph and 2 others like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There is one segment of the wet shaving community that have an aversion to DPR's (dead people's razors) and just are totally repulsed by using something someone used before them and even more freaked out knowing that person is now dead. With that said that doesn't explain the larger segment that doesn't.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Mike-R41, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I prefer the vintage razors; of any kind, straight, de, se. They just seem a better quality in terms of build and performance as well as price. Most of the time. I do recognize that some people do not like that someone has it before is passed on. But in contrast, I see it as preserving a legacy in the previous owner or line of owners and showing respect that a tool they used is being honored.

Ron R, Hembree and brit like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you for pointing that out. Never thought of it actually.

Hembree, brit, Tedolph and 2 others like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome thoughts. Thanks. And good to see you. Miss you across the street.

Hembree, brit and Zykris like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bully!! For you Sir.

Hembree and brit like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Working on it, buddy. Lots of things I’ve been missing out on these days.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Hembree, brit and Zykris like this.
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Who said it was? The vintage adjustable were of such fine quality, it would be hard to equal them, let alone be better.

That is exactly why. It is ding-a-ling waving by some dorks seeking attention. "I got a razor you don't have. Neener, neener, neener." It is the same reason some people pay ridiculous sums for Gillette toggle and bottom-dial adjustable razors on eBay. It is not about the quality or utilitarian value of the razor, or even its rarity or collector value. It is about beating everyone else out and winning the auction, regardless of the cost or value of the item.

IMHO, that's just weird. The person wasn't using the razor after they were dead. Just clean the razor with scrubbing bubbles and it will be squeaky clean.

Hembree, brit, Zykris and 2 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Always like reading your post. Thanks!

Shaver X, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You also have and this applies to vintage razors too a segment of people as described by George Carlin that if you take 2 of anything and combine it together they will automatically buy it if it hasn't been done before regardless of whether it is a good idea or even works.

Hembree, brit, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Germaphobes or anyatypeofphobes are not rational people.

Sara-s, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Why does one have to preclude the other? Riddle me that.
    I have both vintage and modern razors, all of which are a pleasure to use and afford me a close, comfortable shave.

Preacher, chazt, battle.munky and 8 others like this.
  15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I also have both modern and vintage.

But since I'm cheap (frugal sounds more positive) I like getting an oldie but goodie for a bargain price so I tend to have more vintage than modern and my modern stuff is all moderately priced items.

chazt, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

It has to be a difficult life for them.

Lots of folks lived in my house before me, almost every car I've ever owned was/is used, every shopping cart I've ever pushed was touched by someone else, my wife isn't the first girl I ever kissed, we have various pieces of cookware/dinnerware that was previously owned (and/or family passed down), I buy nice clothes that I find in consignment/thrift shops, I swim in lakes that fish poop in...

battle.munky, Hembree, gorgo2 and 5 others like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They do not. There are people though that shun vintage. Maybe not as many as I seem to think. I was just curious about the mind set. I of course am open about my love of vintage although I use plenty of them new fangled gadgets.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I'm this way with used brushes. Just something about using a used shaving brush that's been all over another man's face - and other areas if they are/were into shaving those areas - that doesn't sit well in my brain. Cleaning, de-funking and sanitizing a metal razor is easy. Getting into the far reaches of a brush knot isn't.

Reckon I'm a nutjob. :innocent

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  19. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

So then the question becomes: why not just make the old stuff again?

battle.munky, Hembree and brit like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm quite happy there are germaphobic people and those that don't want DPR; it keeps the completion down when I want to buy them. Though that can backfire by people treating them as hazardous materials and chucking them in the landfill or a sharps container. Believe me it happens. :eek:

:eatdrink013:

Hembree, wchnu, brit and 1 other person like this.