Unicorn Razor Club (URC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 6, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For all those rarities and prototypes. Post pictures of your urc's (pronounced yerks).

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll start with a few unicorns.

First up a Gillette 1-9 Bottom Dial Fat Boy. Not as urcie as the 1 - 5 bottom dial but certainly qualifies.
    BD1.jpg

Next up an American made Rocket styled Milord assumed to be made in 1949. My understanding is these were only made for Gillette company executives and never did make it to market. About 20 are known to exist.
    ml3a.jpg ml3c.jpg

A 60s era flat bottom tech with shoulders. Not sure how rare this razor really is. It is either one of those foreign market razors in this case made to sell in India and they made a lot of them but they don't make it onto the collectors market or it was a limited item or poor seller over there. The one I own is the only one I've ever seen period.

gti.jpg gti2.jpg gti3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

French made L'Essor Le Supreme razor. This is a known and sought after unicorn by high end collectors.
    uni1.jpg

jtspartan, kobayashi, Jayaruh and 8 others like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Another one I think qualifies as an urc. You almost never find these for sale, you have a better chance of getting a Type F which now that they sell for $100+ since they are now sought after by regular collectors from all the hype they get you find out they really aren't as rare as they used to be. The only Schick injectors that maybe more urcie than this one besides prototypes are the black handle version of this one and the fat dial adjustable injector.

Schick Type E1 injector
    e1.jpg

Black handle variant of the E1
    (not my razor or picture)
    Ebh1.JPG

jtspartan, Jayaruh, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Another injector and the only one sold by Eversharp that wasn't Schick branded in early 1967. I don't know how urcie this one really is, you find the DE versions with eversharp eagle and grey handles fairly often but the injector counterpart not so much. I've personally only seen about 5 of these come up for sale. I am sure they made alot more than 5 so it maybe a case of no established market so they sit in drawers or get overlooked by pickers and such. I paid about $15 for mine. What is interesting is this is the precursor to the more common Type L1 that came onto market at the end of 1967.
    l0a.jpg Northwest_Arkansas_Times_Mon__Feb_27__1967_rs.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    jtspartan, Jayaruh, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  6. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

37ED3CD5-394B-4D3E-86A5-68CCD618B8CF.jpeg

My Colman Mockler Jr Gold Serial Toggle Set. This was his personal set given to him by Ed Lewiecki one of the inventors of the Gillette Toggle. Mockler was the CEO of Gillette.

20A2F004-0CDC-475A-85A6-29C1AE01E27D.jpeg

Ed Lewiecki on the patent

473C9628-9755-4A47-BD54-C3AC79114F42.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    jtspartan, Jayaruh, Leo K. and 17 others like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That would be urcie even without the added provenance. Great stuff so far.

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

2 of my rarities,sought after by collectors? not sure..i like 'em..
    2021-05-29 10_edited1.jpg new sc "cambridge" set , for french market from gillette bin left overs.

2021-04-27 09.45_edited1.jpg canadian flat bottom tech 4 piece..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    jtspartan, Jayaruh, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have some that i feel fit in this section, but you see more and more of them pop up so ill keep it several that i still dont see many people use or post of them.
    IMG_7855.jpg
    Left to right

- Le Coq levered 2 piece open comb
    - Le Coq Palmer adjustable
    - Leresche 77

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not all unicorns are valuable or sought after. I'll post one shortly that fits that bill.

brit likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd opine the Le Coq levered 2 piece is a unicorn status piece. You almost never see them come up for sale. The Le Coq Palmer adjustable it depends the model. The brass ones probably the zamak or whatever metal that is the ones you do find when they come up for sale. I don't know enough on Leresche models to opine.

jtspartan and brit like this.
  13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Leresche made some damn fine razors! I'm familiar with the Le Coq adjustables but not the Le Coq levered... How's that work?

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

And here it is.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It looks like an L1 but has a guard like a Schick Grip. No mention of these in the ad literature and I've only ever seen 2 of them come up for sale. You won't see any collectors Schick or otherwise beating down doors for this razor and neither did I or I would have bought the 1st one I saw at $90. I paid $10 for this when all was said and done divving up the lot I found it in. If I get lucky I might get $20 for it on a sale assuming any collector even wants it rare or not. $20 is the high end for an L1 on a good day.

jtspartan, Jayaruh, Enrico and 6 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

very cool.1st one i've ever seen.great catch..:cool:

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not my pictures or razor but here is the brass Le Coq Palmer I'd opine falls under unicorn status.
    otgr5dB.jpg ru7cbpg.jpg

17. Jorvaljr

C69F2603-6143-42D6-8B91-8F084D4B4937.jpeg E967C837-A2EA-4F7E-8C36-A65667B69DB4.jpeg 29E8D772-D03B-4BAB-A5F4-0F7255F6FAAA.jpeg

jtspartan, Jayaruh, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

Jorvaljr likes this.
  19. Jorvaljr

Yes sir,
    IMG_7922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh, Dave in KY, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  20. IAmTheJody

Awesome. Sweet looking razor with some invention to it!

Jorvaljr likes this.