The Famex razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Oct 18, 2017.

1. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

I thought I have seen every safety razor, but no - how foolish of me... Man that is a cool tool.....

brit likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This and the Bohin are the 2 vintage French razors I've been wanting to pick up. Well I finally got a Famex. Here are the before pictures from the seller.
    famex4.jpg famex1.jpg famex2.jpg famex3.jpg

The cap looks to have little smile in it also but I can't say for sure if it will also translate into an uneven blade since the pictures can be deceiving and the upper portion might only be off. If I like this razor I'll have it fully restored depending how it cleans up.

Now if I can only get a Bohin when they do show up for sale at a reasonable price.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Having now acquired a L'Essor three piece which I thought had the same handle as my Famex, I can now compare the two. Obviously while similar they are not the same. So the handle on my Famex may be original. Or not. I'm pretty certain they were manufactured at the same factory, they both have the unusual threading shared by the Fatip. [​IMG]

brit and Frijolero like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

very cool looking razors...first time seeing both of these...

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Marvelous shave today with gap set as shown (15mm maybe). I'm going to do further shaves reducing the gap to see how she goes at ever milder settings.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Frijolero likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What's interesting about your razor is that you have the Famex branded cage with an SOS branded cap. Don't know if that is original or a mismatch. The SOS earlier in the thread has an unbranded cage.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Probably a mismatch. I normally don't replate razors unless they are pitted or have rust issues but this one I might make an exception for if I can determine what the original plating was when it was sold as new. This is a really cool example of form follows function design in a razor. The piece I am referring to is the lather catcher cage itself also doubling as a blade adjustment. Depending how much spring that cage has I know how to get even more blade angle and gap out of that design with a custom made block or shim to sit on the underside of the base plate.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well if you are anything like me you'll get a marvelous shave without having to resort to a large gap.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Famex with Rockwell cap, Tibam handle. Rockwell cap enables use of standard thread handles, and modifies disposition of the blade to yield a milder shave than stock. Still effective and very very enjoyable. Suneko (2).[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

10. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Throwing my hat in the ring with a recent acquisition......
    image.jpg

11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

This is a nice little bastard!!!

Famex Brt SGDG

[​IMG]

12. Dave in KY

Sunday May 30, 2021
    Razor: Famex Cage Head
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
    Brush: Klenzo Boar
    Soap: Baron's Choice 1508.5 Project
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Skin Bracer
    Fragrance: Penhaligon's Lothair
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 935

Great efficient shave with the Famex today and used the 1508.5 Baron's Choice again to get my free day to fall on Wednesday for Williams then. The Klenzo with the cheap Chinese boar is still shedding a ton of hairs (Dozen in 1st pass) and so was replaced with "The Kentuckian" by Knothead Brushworks for pass 2 and 3. The knot has been pulled and will be replaced with something that works without shedding like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Have a swell day One and All !
    IMG_20210530_063218190.jpg

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I really need to get my hands on a Famex.
    *sigh*

14. Dave in KY

But they don't come in a T-4 Date :D

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another on the way..[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. IAmTheJody

I know, right? I'm working on an awesome T-4 acquisition right now. Soon! ;)

Dave in KY likes this.
  17. IAmTheJody

Rub it in! :angry017:

If you decide to break the set up, I'll take the tube shaving cream. :eatdrink047:

Dave in KY likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It looks huge doesn't it?. Definitely a bathroom remodel required for proper display.

Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. IAmTheJody

I just have a thing for using old, vintage shaving creams with cancer causing chemicals that we didn't know caused cancer way back then, in lead-lined metal tubes.
    :p:happy102:

Dave in KY and jmudrick like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure, what could possibly go wrong.

Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.