blade performance change

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Glondus, Jun 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

hi

i was very happy with astra blade and used couple of them. this week i opened a new one and had some nicks, i assumed it was a bad preshave preperation but today another not so good performance. this second shave was not nicks but was not a good performance.

my question is, can a specific blade have bad performance or can my skin vary season to season ? :)

this may sound stupid, but i am 5 month old wet shaver and dont have too much experience.

thank you for your time

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5 months old? A bit young to be shaving, eh, son? ;)

While I haven't experienced it, oddly enough after using DE and SE blades for 13+ years, I have heard about folks getting a bad blade out of a box.
    Folks may want to believe their skin "toughens up" (or "varies season to season" as you say) after using a DE, but I say bunk - it's improved technique.
    Could be your prep, lather, technique, or all 3, and not the blade at all. Think real hard about what changed, or what you may have done differently.
    Hang in there, stick with it, you'll get it. We're rootin' for ya!!

And if I could only use one brand of blade, it would be Astra SP. But that's me.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

+1 on the Astra SP.
    IMO, yes. And I do swap blades from time to time because of it. But at 5 months in, I'd say its more likely your technique.
    Try A Derby for a couple of weeks, then go back to the Astra, then come back and tell us what you think.

4. swarden43

And there ya go. I'm not a Derby fan.
    @Glondus As I said, stick with it. You'll find what works for you.

5. Glondus

thanks for your replies. i am using several blades as i am just 5months old :D
    i really liked rapira and permasharp so far

PanChango likes this.
  6. swarden43

My recommendation is to pick one razor, one blade brand, one soap, and one brush, and use those exclusively for 30 consecutive shaves.
    Get to know each one real well. Work on your technique. Once you're getting good, comfortable shaves on a regular bases, then try a different blade, or soap, or...
    If something changes with the shave, and you've only changed one item, then you know where the problem is.

wchnu and Glondus like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Given your finite experience, variations in your technique should certainly be considered. On the other hand, sometimes you do just get a blade that’ a dud.

8. Glondus

i will do that.
    i am trying to "roughly" understand what i like and not. i liked rapira blade and have a stock of it. when my new de89 comes next week, i will go for a month of de89, rapira, proraso green :)

thank you all for your replies, you are right i dont have a well fixed technique yet.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. swarden43

The quote below is from the June 30-Day Focus, found here --->https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/june-2021-30-day-rule-focus-pix-and-discussion.65499/

With the coming of July there will come a new thread to join. I would encourage you to jump in, have fun, and share in the shenanigans with these folks!

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. Glondus

being a newbie is fun, i didnt know that. definetly will join for july :)

11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Whatever you do don’t agree to Cinco de Julio……………..yet

8BF333F9-3BCE-4B6C-BACE-4F5008D4ED7C.jpeg

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Enrico like this.