Brush Etiquette or how do I not break my brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by LCBurt, Jun 12, 2021.

1. LCBurt

LCBurt Member

New to the game but I'm learning a lot with the help of YouTube and this among other forums.

I have a question and haven't been able to find the answer with the search so I figured I would ask it here.

I just bought a new simpson Trafalgar T3. I love the brush but really don't know anything about brush care.

Other than not putting it away wet and letting it mildew or mold, what other things do I need to avoid?

I have been splaying a bit when I load the brush and even more when I face lather which takes some pressure for this brush. Can I push too hard and cause damage to the knot?

I'm just trying to avoid an issue before I learn "the hard way"!

So any advice would be much appreciated as far as the do's don'ts and never never ever do this.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not an expert, but I've learn a few thing .....

1) NEVER boil a brush! ..... It's never the answer ..... just another name for cremation.
    2) All brushes can be cleaned ...... think like hair ..... shampoo.
    3) Sometimes a dried out crunchy boar or badger needs rejuvenation ..... a little hair conditioner does wonders.
    4) Synthetic really don't have a break in period ..... break in works on a natural process of water on hair ..... blooming. splitting, etc.
    5) If your soaking a natural brush ..... only the hair or bristles ..... especially for hand tied knots or wooden handles ..... bad things can and do happen.
    6) Mashing or over splaying can and will damage knots ..... even synthetic knots.
    7) After use all knots need a good rinse of soap, remove excess water, and air dry. Best away from high humid areas ..... I keep my brushes on a shelf in my bedroom till completely dry.
    8) If you find a dead brush with a handle you adore or you killed a brush and want to save it ..... it can be restored. I have found 98% brushes can be restored.

There more here and here

I hope this helps

:eatdrink047:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Enrico gives sage advice, but here's something to think about... the brush is a tool. If it gets ruined, buy another. I don't abuse my brushes, but I don't baby them, either.

It's your brush. Use it your way.

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: Like most things they are very replaceable.

:eatdrink047:

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and LCBurt like this.
  5. LCBurt

LCBurt Member

Thank you so much. That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'm going to ease up a bit on the pressure a bit.

I see people talk about drying the brush with a towel. Any advice on the best way to do that?

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Towel is what I use.
    Shake out as much water as you can, towel in left hand, brush in right hand, then just start on the towel like you're lathering your face. I don't scrunch the towel around the brush or even move the towel at all, just the brush over the towel.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is good advise.

I find that people tend to really over do the brush care thing. You have to mash it some to get a good lather built right. Just don't go stoopid with it and things will be ok. I dry brushes like @swarden43 was saying. Boar, horse, badger and synth. It works for them all. I swirl them all. Never have had a brush tangle. Remember that some people think everything is complicated.

8. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

brit, Enrico and LCBurt like this.
  9. LCBurt

LCBurt Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and all the great information.

Not every forum I have been to is this friendly and helpful to the new guy. This place is great and you have all made me feel very welcome.

Thanks again!

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

brit and Enrico like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Years ago I joined 3-4 shave sites and found TSD more friendly, accepting, and helpful. We just plain and simply, got good people here.

:happy088:

Lancre, kfbrady, Droo78 and 5 others like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Just don’t grind your brush like you're mashing potatoes. Brushes are surprisingly resilient, even those new-fangled synthetics.

When I clean a brush, I hold it hair up, a hand cupped around the knot loosely, and run water directly into the knot, squeezing the knot from time to time. When the water runs clear, I stop, give it one last squeeze to get any extra water out.

Then I pretty much do the same towel routine as @swarden43 above, except the towel is wrapped around my waist, and I dry the brush on my thigh. I rotate the brush a quarter turn after every few swipes.

I also wrap the towel around the knot and give it one last squeeze, though that is more to make sure the knot is reformed in the proper shape than for drying. (And the handle gets dried at this time). Then I hang it to dry. Larger brushes that won't fit in the stand I just set down on the handle's base.

Edit: I also run the brush over my hand at the very end. It helps me check the dryness level and seperates any clumped tips that may have formed.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Glondus, IAmTheJody and Tedolph like this.
  13. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Hi LC, I do not want to negate anything said above but I want to reassure you that it is pretty hard to ruin a brush, unless you really do something stupid, e.g. boil it. Keep in mind that our great grandfathers used boar bristle brushes and maybe only had one or two in their entire life. I had an EverReady C40 for probably 30 years and my Semogue 1305 is going on ten. Other than a chip in the paint it is great. If you use a natural hair brush do let it dry out between shaves. If you have to shave every day, go with a synthetic. Other than that, don't worry about it.

Enrico, PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  14. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

LOL Tedolph is right, it doesn’t matter much what you do. Going on three years now, I thought heck what would happen if I did NOTHING but use it like the old timers did. So I had a brush I didn’t much like so I used it and tossed it back into the bowl until next time. No rinsing, no drying no nothing. Know what? It is just fine, matter of fact I like it WAY better now. No rot no mildew, lathers better and faster and saves soap. I know some of you will vehemently disagree and that is just fine. The point is, do what you like it will be just fine.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Enrico and Tedolph like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What kind of brush? If it's a synthetic, I see no issues. If it's boar or badger, if nothing else, you are probably shortening the life of the brush. To what extent? *shrug* Who knows?

Edit: I do have a cousin that uses boar and a mug, and he keeps the brush in the mug. It has quite the 'swoop' to it, but as far as I know, the brush performs fine.

Enrico likes this.