Tech Tuesdays

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by jimjo1031, May 18, 2021.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You'd be wrong. Conrad introduced that design in 1934.

The only patented innovation of the Tech was the diamond inset stamped sheet metal.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

can polat and brit like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Guess I was, but wasn't the E-Z Flo 500 based on that, metal cap and baseplate.

brit and Enrico like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Three Conrads:

1944-5 Clix EZ-Flo, 1934 Barbasol, post war Clix 500 [​IMG]

The ad (1946) makes pretty clear how different are the Tech and Clix 500. The photo above shows the evolution of the wartime EZ-FLO from the '34 Barbasol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    can polat and brit like this.
  4. jimjo1031

I still consider the Clix a tech style razor. it's main difference is the extended cap to cover the razor blade ends and cut outs on the bottom plate.

brit likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well at my house Simplexs are Techs ..... Clix are Techs ..... Stars are Techs ..... Feathers are Techs ....... virtually any closed comb razor is a Tech ..... even in the beginning of the one piece was called the Ranger Tech.

If I'm wrong let King Gillette, Conrad, Simplex, Clix, and Star sue me for defamation on character.

:signs097:

brit, IAmTheJody and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There is a good reason the Tech patent was so narrow ... Because Conrad had already produced a closed comb with lather slots five years earlier ..but hey don't let facts get in the way. Cheers.

You didn't mention the Hospital razors ...

brit and Enrico like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Used my Ranger Tech (and Senator) today, nice razor.[​IMG]

elektrotasil, can polat, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

I agree, I like my Senator, shaves great.

brit likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Of course I call all Gillette TTO s Micromatic style ...

brit likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry if I came off as short ..... I'd rather come be too inclusive than exclusive. One of the first shave sites I was part of would shut a person down if they enjoyed their shave with a Tech or a Flare ..... If it wasn't an Ikon, Above the Tie, Pils or a Wolfman a person was expected to shut up and sit in the corner while the big boys talk about their $300 razors. That is why I only post on TSD and use the other sites as information sites. Thats one of the reasons I restore and build my brushes ..... I'd put together a brush they'd only hope they could find and then I'd give it away to a newbie. They'd get so ticked when a newbie had a Silver tipped badger brush and a Flare or a Tech.

Well I'll get of my soap box now.

:eatdrink047:

11. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elektrotasil and Enrico like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No problem here :) . If i have a mission here at TSD it's to highlight the accomplishments of the smaller producers that contributed so much but mostly died a quiet death while the Gillette monster gobbled up the market. ,And three of the things I get testy about are claims, assumptions, or inferences that Gillette invented the closed comb razor, (a reasonable inference from the "Tech type" wording) the TTO, and/or the adjustable safety razor, none of which is of course the case. Gillette was certainly an innovator but also sought to quash innovation among their competitors to the disadvantage of consumers.

Saying that, if not the most innovative design, the Tech certainly has been one of the most successful, it saved Gillette's behind in 1939 and inspired lots of clones and close relations (for the lack of patent protection) which we all love to this day, and I own and like them all so I have no problem with their appearance here or anywhere on the forum so long as the history is accurately reflected. You would think that the mere existence of the Star 100 in 1946 or the Hospital/Club in the same period would make obvious the lack of patentable innovation in the Tech, but sometimes folks don't make that connection and I feel obliged to add the reminder and thereby highlight the pre-Tech Conrad contribution as I did here.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    redrako, brit and Enrico like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You'll get no argument that others predated in their innovation and that Gillette wasn't the fist in this style. Gillette was innovative, but mainly I see the company as opportunistic.

This all said when I refer to Tech, I refer to it as a style not a tribute to the company (for the man left the company in 1932). In the same way SUV was first used for the Jeep Cherokee; there are many SUV's out there holding their own without Jeep. I lump not out of disrespect, but to make sure a fine razor company is counted for giving great shaves.

:eatdrink013:

jimjo1031 and jmudrick like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Club and Star 100, both date from c.1946. That's a guess for the Club as I find no ads for it but I do for its Hospital twin in '47. While the heads in both razors are virtually identical in geometry the Club is slightly (2g) beefier, and for whatever reason I feel less blade with it. Very slight edge to the Club. [​IMG]

brit, Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

This thread is closed.

Hi all. You may have noticed that we are doing some spring cleaning in the summer. The Safety Razors thread is a place to show various razors and discuss the razors themselves. It is not the place to post your daily shaves. There's just way too much overlapping and redundant posting in this thread. Please post those in their appropriate area, the Shower or Shave (SoS) of the Day thread. Thanks all!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

17. brit

brit in a box

tech tuesday
    #25 brit service tech
    spoiler-6
    simpson
    st.james of london
    burberry rhythm

[​IMG]

awesome.:cool:
    this tech has post war safety guards and a more aggressive feel than the earlier fb brit techs.

[​IMG]

have a great day everyone

18. jimjo1031

Gillette WW II Tech Razor
    Polsilver Super Iridium Blade
    Flat Top Tuxedo Brush (@Enrico)
    Cremo Bourbon Vanilla Shave Cream
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Egyptian Musk
    Aqua Velva Musk After Shave

Untitled.jpg