Gibbs Replica Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Jan 14, 2020.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It was worth $5,000 up until the point when he sliced open the box seals. :happy097:

Northstonehill and cliffb599 like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It was just a cardboard box until he opened it. Obviously not a speculator.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Northstonehill and gwsmallwood like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Good video. Answered some questions i had. Hmmm i wish i still had the aluminum version . But i liked the heavy head a little more.

4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I bet the Aluminum has a bit better balance, but I think I'll trade that for the extra weight.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It does have better balance and I prefer it to the unmodified brass one. but with a brass sleeve the brass 15/17 is perfectly balanced. For whatever reason i do like the handling on my Progress better though (and prefer the shave on the Apollos).

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Pics Aluminum stock, modified brass.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dave in KY, sm1h, gwsmallwood and 3 others like this.
  7. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Jeff, what length is your sleeve ? Getting Claudio to do one for me and never measured the one I had before that was a little longer and required the extension also........

Edison Carter likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Claudio's looks to be about 53mm.[​IMG]

Dave in KY and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Thanks

jmudrick likes this.
  10. Northstonehill

Northstonehill Active Member

Haha, thanks Jody and Jeff, spot on :eatdrink047:

Yup. I’m personally in this to touch history - and not to store away wonders in dark drawers. YMMV of course, but I make a point to shave with all my razors, even my Techmatic and my Davies Rythmic. This Gibbs razor package was sealed up along with hundreds similar ones on the same day in the late 1930s - never intended to not be used.

Clouds, PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

My Heritage Gibbs replica came in the mail a couple weeks ago but I was away until last night. Got to have my first shave with it this morning and it didn't disappoint. Thanks @Dave in KY for your youtube video on fixing the backwards baseplate. Mine had that problem too but I'm glad it's an easy fix. My shave this morning was with the razor on N just like I usually use my real Gibbs and I used a Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade. The result was an effortless BBS with absolutely no alum tingle afterward. Need to have a few more shaves with it to be sure the results are consistent but it seems to be close enough to a real Gibbs to me.

Dave in KY and ewk like this.
  12. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

It really is a fine shaver. Is it identical to the OG? No but, it's very close and arguably one of the best replica/clones in the market today.

IMG_20230527_122224.jpg