shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy nice !!!

9nein9, Droo78 and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..:):eatdrink047:

9nein9 likes this.
  3. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fuzzy!

9nein9, wchnu and brit like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Williams Wednesday on Thursday shave. First shave with a OneBlade Core. The Feather SE did a pretty good job! Vintage Williams ruled the day.
    A88CB48E-C6BD-4498-BD84-5F42DE2B1CF8.jpeg

There are more pics and video at tost3.
    https://www.tost3.com/showthread.php?tid=410

Tedolph, Hembree, Zykris and 6 others like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I posted awhile back about a couple of smaller vintage Williams shave sticks I had picked up. They are in glass tubes and look to be in pretty good shape. I decided that i wanted to use one. The paper wrapper in them is really not in that good of shape to remove. I pretty much had to scrape it off. It looks like to me that the oils from the stick have penetrated it over the years. I got one of them more or less cleaned up and will be using it for Williams Wednesday this week,. As I already have a large stick these will be going into give a ways probably.

There are some pics posted over at tost3.
    https://www.tost3.com/showthread.php?tid=415&pid=6949#pid6949

BigD, Zykris, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The 2 menthol cakes made it in. They do not have menthol anymore so really just vintage Williams.
    One of then is from 1976. It has a special offer for a 200 anniversary pewter shave mug inside the box.

I picked both up along with a coffee mug that has a Packard on it for $23 is with shipping. Not too shabby for vintage Williams eh?

9A094808-15C3-419F-9BBF-3618D9DF6AA1.jpeg F72A708A-5199-4BA1-8ADE-6FFC74438D05.jpeg

palmolive fox, BigD, Zykris and 5 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

8. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

20th June 2021.

118.jpg

Shaving Recipe For today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears Transparent Bar Soap. + Nuage Menthol shaving Oil.
    Brush: Semogue 1305.
    Face Lather.
    Lather : Williams Mug Shaving Soap.
    Blade: Chinese Gillette London Bridge. (D2)
    Razor: Parker 55SL Semi-Slant.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals, Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Williams Aqua Velva ASL. (Spanish Version) Aloe Vera Gel.

Greetings,

Sunday summer solstice eve shave.

I haven't added the Williams Mug Soap to my soap rotation for a while, and forgot how much of a slick lather this old school classic creates....I have mentioned before i totally understand why some people have love/hate opinions on Williams it does take a little more effort and time to create a good lather but once you get passed the airy/bubbly stage your rewarded with a wonderful slick protective lather...However, like most budget love/hate shaving soaps it doesn't get top marks for it's scent which to my nose is a 'clean scent 'with no 'bells or whistles' but makes up multitude for it's slickness protection and post shave feeling which is the main issue in any soap or shaving cream IMHO.

The scent of a soap isn't a important issue for me slickness protection, and post shave feel is ok. Besides i find once i have had a cold water rinse the scent of a soap or cream is virtually gone as always YMMV.

The Chinese Gillette London Bridge blade continued to give another acceptable performance slicing through my stubble with effortless ease.

An enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups comfortable silky smooth shave with no errors to report...Finishing to the shave off with a small dollop of Aloe Vera Gel.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine. [​IMG] ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looks like you had a fine shave! For future reference, please post SoS type posts in the Shower or Shave of the Day forum, either as a standalone thread or as part of the monthly SoS thread. Thanks. :eatdrink047:

10. palmolive fox

26th June 2021.

121.jpg

11. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Sorry, been quite busy. Here's just a few Williams shaves.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

12. brit

brit in a box

fabulous Mr.D..:cool:

palmolive fox and BigD like this.
  13. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Today's Williams shave.[​IMG]

BamaT, palmolive fox, brit and 4 others like this.
  14. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Repeat of earlier this week.[​IMG]

15. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Got myself a few pucks of vintage Williams (along with a puck of Colgate shave soap), and used one of the Williams V today. MAN, what a difference from the modern iteration! Whipped up a great lather in seconds, and no dissipation. Modern formula, I have to add a ton of water and even then, the lather begins to dissipate almost immediately after applying to my face. I can't for the life of me understand why the company chose to reformulate its product.

20210714_172457a.jpg

Left to Right: Vintage Williams with AquaVelva advertisement, Colgate Cup Soap, later Vintage Williams, and Modern Williams

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll tell you why, Michael.....it's just another example of a company that already has a great product thinking"Gee let's try THIS and see what happens". They get the pleasure out of "trying something new", but forget to figure that it might be worse than what they had.

17. palmolive fox

18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

So many companies do this. Sometimes it's frustrating being a hapless consumer. The poor soap has gone through so many different company makers that maybe the original formula got lost in the shuffle and they had to improvise and it didn't go so well...

19. palmolive fox

2nd September 2021.

16.jpg

20. palmolive fox

12th September 2021.

6.jpg