Filarmonica 14 Restoration. Yikes!!! Finally Finished.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, May 24, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Filarmonica 14
    8/8 th inch

Well, it had to be altered, because of the heavy frown.

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After: With the future scales. It is an old tissue box cover, I found. I liked the color. The blade is now a 15/16+inch. Barely. I still need to sand and polish the blade. So, here we go.

P5241370.JPG

P5241371.JPG

2. DaltonGang

Well, I thought this might be too easy. It was a royal pain, to cut and shape. The acrylic has a low melting point, and clogged up, just about everything I used to cut it, except a metal infused cutting disk, I use on my Dremel. After shaping and drilling the holes, I noticed some imperfections in the material. Crap, some hairline cracks. I was pretty ticked off, and snapped a scale in half, because the material is unusable.
    So, I am now thinking of what to use as scales. Wood? Trusted Acrylic from a vendor? Any suggestions??

P5251372.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Karl G, Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

How about this?

:eatdrink013:

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  4. DaltonGang

@Enrico , I was thinking more like these. I like the transparent look, for some reason.

s-l500.jpg

s-l300.jpg

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Tedolph, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Well, since I am delayed in the scales, I figured I would work on the blade.
    I used WD-40/Steel Wool, and knocked some of the chunky rust off, first.
    I then swiped my daughter's nail polish, and coated the remaining etching. If completely hardened tomorrow, I will start the sanding.

P5251373.JPG

P5251375.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Similar to the ones I ordered.

Karl G and Enrico like this.
  8. DaltonGang

I ordered all three colors. Red, Light Blue, and Green.
    Any opinions on which one to use for this razor?? I have a week or so to decide, until they arrive.

Karl G, TestDepth and Keithmax like this.
  9. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I'm digging the green... just seems like a Filly color :)

DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  10. DaltonGang

This has been put on the backburner for a while, and I am picking it up again. I have not been able to find suitable scales, and the clear ones I was going to make just did seem to be appropriate. So, I had been working on other things.
    Now I have some scales to be made, out of G10, and in a few weeks this project should be moving along.

Karl G and Enrico like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Imitation Ivory

12. DaltonGang

I planned on doing that, with another razor.
    The one you listed looks great, until you look at the size. It is intended for pocket knives.

Enrico likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Pick up a free piano of Craig’s list and you’ll have enough scales for at least 44 razors. Just off the keys. :)

14. DaltonGang

Funny you should say that. I had a family piano I inherited, many years ago, before I got into razors, and it was from around 1900 or so. It was all intact, with real ivory keys, but needed a tuning bad. I ended up donating it to a church group. But, from what I remember, the keys arent quite long enough for razor scales. You need to have a good 6 inches for razor scales.

I did order some imitation Ivory Blanks, from Masecraftsupplies.com
    They will be used on a very old concave/rattler Wade & Butcher I have enroute to me. I will be posting on that one, when it arrives.

Enrico likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I always thought enough glued or epoxy together would make a nice blank for a shaving brush. Sorry, my one track mind kicking in again. :signs081:

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Scott, if you’d used a convex hone you could have honed that edge as-is! :happy102:

I have a couple of razor scale blanks of this material:

https://guitarpartsandmore.com/productCategory.php?Resin-Ivory-trade-S-Grade-Inlay-Slabs-189

I haven’t used it on a razor yet but have brush handle made from it and it looks good. Alfredo said that he thought it was too soft for razor scales, but it seems quite rigid. Maybe Glen is familiar with it? The +S grade means schreger lines. The R grade is plain I think, and I have not tried the R grade.

08EFEC8A-D626-4577-81FF-BB653ED0967A.jpeg 44CF0928-94FE-471C-A759-A76C60F93AE4.jpeg

DaltonGang likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

Those look great, but, as you were typing that, I was busy attaching my new scales.
    I ordered some resin ivory blanks the other day, and they came in today, so I will have another project.

18. DaltonGang

I finally got around to putting some scales on this Filarmonica.
    The scales are Jade Green G10 material. I also used some washers between the scales, which I don't particularly like.
    I also switched out the the tiny collars for Domed ones.

This is what the blade looked like, after the Nail Polish was removed. I had to then polish it out, but not to much, as to remove the etching.

P6211569.JPG

Finally assembled. It is now needing an edge.
    After it was said and done, It was a full 15/16th inches wide.

P6211572.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    taskind, Karl G, Enrico and 6 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Definitely looks like a Filly color! Nice work Scott. :eatdrink047:

Karl G, DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.
  20. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

This is beautiful. Why doesn't somebody just start making these again?

Karl G likes this.