The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I got this 5/8 Clauss hoping that the dresser case would fit my 7/8 Clauss. It was a long shot and it doesn’t fit the big razor.

But it may be a candidate for the ‘pimp sticks’ thread, anyone else got a razor with a raccoon on it? Yes, it is a raccoon razor. The scales are quite pretty and maybe the same as the Clauss that @Redfish Rick posted not long ago.

C496F225-8FB6-4BAA-BB92-179004FB5B0E.jpeg

Karl G, DaltonGang, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Can the foam, under the felt be redone, and fit the razor straight?? Or, maybe fit it catty-corner after redoing the foam??

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Maybe, I kind of like dresser cases, so I’m inclined to leave it as-is and look for a Clauss without the raccoon, lol.Not that it’s really ugly, it’s just - unique, lol.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just got this in today. Honing it is a little tough but I’ll get there.

5. DaltonGang

Those Commie razors are made of some very hard steel. Always a slow.go.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Zykris like this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Doesn’t help that the heel has a little bump outward and a tiny wave in the middle I gotta straighten out. But, it’ll be worth it.

Karl G likes this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A new arrival today from France, a Le Grelot Coupe Celeste in very good shape. It had an unmatched extra blade from a Le Grelot Fleur d’Acier, which was a big selling point for me since I have a Fleur d’Acier missing the extra blade, and this one is like new if not new. And yes, the Coupe Celeste does have a removable blade. So now I have to start looking for a good second blade for it …. :eatdrink047:

B473763E-CA3D-4D98-988A-4AD3BD6FA65D.jpeg C95BAAD2-D27B-4944-BC07-0912ECE48A5D.jpeg DE91332C-B1E0-4E5A-9FA6-513FE93BDF6B.jpeg

Billyfergie, joamo, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Love the look of the old French frameback with the darkened blade... classy.

Billyfergie, Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Genco
    "Easy Aces"
    Bradford, PA.
    11/16th.
    Extra Hollow Ground.

Looks almost NOS, with no wear to the blade, spine, or tang bluing. The Scales are perfect looking pearl, that should polish up like new. There is some minor tarnish, and dirt from years of improper usage. That should all buff out though.

P6221574.JPG

10. DaltonGang

Wade and Butcher
    "Celebrated Concave Razor"
    Sheffield England
    13/16th
    Rattler Grind

I jumped on this one. It seems to be an old W&B, that is fully tarnished, with very minor rusting. I already have the scale material picked out, because the original scales are toast.
    Any idea of the age of this one?? My guess is around 1880, give or take.

P6221573.JPG

11. TestDepth

I had thought the Rattler grind was more common towards the middle 1800's.
    I thought this was an informative post about the rattler grind with quotes from a book in 1850:
    https://sharprazorpalace.com/razors/74745-update-re-derivation-rattler.html

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Thanks, you could be right. All I know is that it is an old design, and not very common for W&B, especially with little wear.

13. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett 1893 Chicago World's Fair.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Karl G, Billyfergie, Hammer8 and 3 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

I love those World’s Fair/Expo razors, and that looks to be a beauty. Congrats! :eatdrink047:

15. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Thanks, it is a beauty.

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Filarmonica 13 "Doble Temple"
    Muleta Sello Oro
    13/16+inch
    Extra Hollow Ground
    Spain

This was acquired from a fellow member, @lindyhopper66 , It has been said it is a very stubborn, if not impossible blade, to hone. It looks almost new, except for a little spine wear. I guess I will have to find out for myself.

My Photo
    P6301576.JPG

@lindyhopper66 's photo. He has a better setup. The dark spots are just grease spots. They rubbed off.
    DSC02665.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Hammer8, TestDepth, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I was tempted by that myself Scott. That looks like a new enough blade to be usable even without Jose’s stamp.

If you can’t get it to take an edge, measure the bevel angle/spine thickness.

18. DaltonGang

The bevel angle is all off. A few layers of tape might cure the Non-JMP issues. Fingers crossed, or it will just be a pretty "Wall Hanger".

19. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

It is NOS. The spine wear is from all the people including myself trying to hone it.

20. DaltonGang

I figured that. I'm going to add some tape, and correct the bevel angle. Maybe that will do the trick. Kind of a puzzle