GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

It was a used Gem Personna SS PTFE (10 uses) blade Jody.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Micromatic dismantled observations
    Well this damaged Micromatic(MMOC) was sent to me with a damaged blade stop from the big online Auction house in a razor lot 2 years ago so why not take this one apart for some folks who want to know how it works.
    This razor legend was built to last many generations and the engineering is outstanding.
    Micromatic (MMOC)were the First TTO in mass production in USA and world wide used a push rack and pinion assisted with a spring that has worked well for myself and millions of others world wide from production of Micromatic variants from 1930-50. Millions were sold that is how much they were enjoyed + built to last generations.
    Micromatic collage 1.jpg
    Micromatic collage 3.jpg Micromatic collage 2.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Very detailed pictorial breakdown. Thanks!

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. I have never seen one disassembled.

GAW9576, Ron R and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Because why would you? They don't break :) . Well hardly. And if they do $15 gets you another one. Unless your relying on prison labor there's no economic rationale to repairing one.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  6. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So the one razor I have not shaved with is a Gem. Was thinking about grabbing a pushbutton, just to see if I am missing anything. Is it similar to a Schick? I just want to grab one, don't need another RAD. Also, any advice on where to source good blades for these? What is considered to be the best model for getting a "general idea" of the GEM experience? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The push button is a good starting point. I find it a bit milder than the MicroMatic.
    As for blades, I prefer Gem over Treet, but that's me. I used to be able to get Gem blades at the local grocery store, but can't find 'em anymore. I'm stocked up for a couple more years, but I was wondering the same as you - where to buy Gem SE blades?

GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I prefer the Micromatic Clog Pruf. There are different models of the Micromatic. IMO The Open Comb is slightly more aggressive than the clog pruf and you would feel more blade. The Micromatic Bullet Tip is more mild than either the open comb or the clog pruf. When going to single edge, remember that the blade is stiffer and you need a light touch. As for blades, I get along with the PTFE coated ones.

9. swarden43

There ya go, Dale @PanChango
    I forgot that the Micromatic comes in the Clog Pruf model, as well.
    Yes, certainly milder than the Micromatic Open Comb.
    I've never tried the Bullet Tip.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

11. swarden43

12. richgem

Thanks, Steve.

I never thought that thread would get so many views when I started it way back when... geez I've been around here a while. :scared011:

I wonder when I get my gold watch. :ban:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Whew man, the couple of times I tried a GEM razor, that thing ate me up! Of course that was like 10 or 11 years ago. Now that I am well experienced, maybe I should give it another go.

GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I recently stumbled across my first SE SOTD post from July 1, 2011. I still remember that shave. It was with an OCMM and I got tore up enough that I had to skip a day or two to recover from the carnage. After that, things just clicked for me. If you have a Clog Pruf, it has a bit softer face feel and shaves just as well

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Penguins don't have wrists. I would think a pocket watch would make more sense, but they tend to walk around naked as well....

16. richgem

It can't hurt... well, actually it can. But, nothing ventured nothing gained.

17. richgem

Reading the time upside down is the hard part, actually.

[​IMG]

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

19. swarden43

Sweet collection! @Ron R
    All great shavers, although I've never tried the Bullet Tip.
    I had a Featherweight, but gave it away. It was too light for my liking.

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you want a push button gem razor to keep and a few ptfe coated stainless steel blades to use in it pm me. They are mild razors. All the gem razors made after about 1950 are on the mild side the push buttons being introduced I think around 1958.

IAmTheJody, jay_gatz, GAW9576 and 3 others like this.