TARMAX Pass around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jul 2, 2021.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just finished another razor experiment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

This razor holds the blade completely flat. No torquing or bending. It is also adjustable. My only goal was to make an adjustable razor with as few parts as possible. To a certain degree have it so you could use any handle you like. Mind you there will be no hash mark for location.

This razor comes completely apart. So it is what one might call a fiddly razor. So those who don’t like that be forewarned. It also has 2 plates to choose from. A thin plate and a thicker plate to give more exposure. Think of the thin plate as dialing 1-8. Then the thick plate would make it 4-12. You can also over dial if you choose by another half turn.

The reasoning behind the flat blade configuration goes back to a conversion with @Primotenore. I made him a devette with no blade curvature, thus allowing the shallowest blade angle possible with maximum blade coverage for maximum support. My thoughts right or wrong.

So I sent the razor to @jmudrick to test out. He is my shave test dummy;). But Seriously I really respect his input and he is a head shaver to boot. That really tests the metal of a razor. If he thinks it worthy I will do a pass around with it for those interested.
    Tom

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

A flat razor that is adjustable.. my mind can not wrap my head around how it works or why… lol ill be interested in hearing jeff’s review after they graft skin back to his scalp. :signs131:

Karl G, Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I'm in if Jeff approves and it transpires to a pass around, for the purpose of
    200 (1).gif

Interested in your thoughts on it Tom unless you don't want to muddy the waters.

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I would rather not Muddy things.

5. Dave in KY

Completely understand :eatdrink047:

Jorvaljr and twhite like this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

If it passes muster. Make sure to do a video of the first shave good or bad.

Dave in KY likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

[​IMG]
    You dont want to piss off the bunny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  8. Dave in KY

I'm generally boring but will do if you want :happy088:

twhite likes this.
  9. Dave in KY

:happy097:

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I can then see the look of total horror. Or pleasant relief on the first few strokes of the shave.

Dave in KY likes this.
  11. Dave in KY

:D
    stock-photo-cropped-view-naked-man-bloody.jpeg

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'm in. Well done, Tom.

Edison Carter, Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Terry and Dave in KY like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well, first Tarmax shave in the books. This is a razor of great build and precision. It probably has less cap and guard span than any razor I've used, and feels great in hand in addition to its chisled good looks.

Shave #1 I used the mild plate at setting 5 (BIC blade) to start out on my beard. It was comfortable in terms of blade feel, but even when I had an angle which seemed to be most effective it didn't feel it was getting as much done as I would like.

After a comfortable first pass on my head with the Ben-Hur slant, I cranked Tarmax up to its 8 setting. This was still comfortable and cutting better than at 5, and maybe I was just getting used to it but I also found the unusual angle easier to manage on my head. Efficiency however was still not great despite a lot more strokes than I'd typically do. I brought out the Enders Speed and it took care of remaining stubble on my head, and even going one more time WTG on my cheek the Enders picked up bits I'd left behind with the Tarmax going ATG. I also noticed a bit of post shave irritation on my chin and cheek which is quite unusual, indicating to me some scraping going on.

So an intriguing first shave but still to be convinced the geometry makes sense. My experience with flat DE shaving had been limited to the Temple razor, which is not as completely flat as the Tarmax and was for me an easier (mild) shave on first use.

I'll switch plates tomorrow.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Make sure when you switch plates 8 on the thin plate is the same as 4 on the thick plate. So go past that to start.

Karl G and jmudrick like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gotcha.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Nice prototype. My 2 cents on function is this. Without any tension of the blade how much exposure of the blade past the cap is going to be the biggest issue here. Too much exposure the blade will chatter and flex. With that said once you know where too much exposure is it will be an easy proposition to design gap or adjustment mechanism around that.

jmudrick and twhite like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

There is Constant Spring tension while dialing in more exposure. Same exact concept as my TAR.

As the cap and base are above the spring tension remains at the constant 7 lbs the spring is rated at. As long as you stay in the one revolution of adjustment.
    There should be no blade chatter as this has the fullest coverage of blade. Aprox 1mm. of actual blade exposure.

I will post a few pictures. I need to go to Tapatalk to be able to post pictures. I am on my IPhone.

Edison Carter and jmudrick like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Hope these pictures can show how little of the blade is actually unsupported.

If someone is putting even a pound of pressure while shaving. They have a serious technique problem:)

I would love for you to test it out also @BBS. Although I fear it will not be aggressive enough for your liking.

I can take what works and implement it into another design and ditch the bad. Hence the feedback from all of you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Figured you'd be on top of the issue, just had to do a captain obvious here.

Karl G and twhite like this.