Cooking with cast iron

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Interesting.....

I have always used a gas stove.
    I did have to cook on an electric stove for a while, once, when I lived in an apartment in what seems eons ago.
    I did it, I wasn't happy with it, but I did it.
    The only issue I have with my gas stove now is the largest burner is only about 13,000 btu full on. I go outside to use a bigger burner I have, 60,000 btu full on.
    It's almost impossible to do wok cooking with a 13,000 btu flame.
    Electric just can't compare at that level either.

I do have an electric commercial griddle, an electric commercial convention oven and an electric commercial deep fryer so I'm not against electric cooking .
    These items are easy to connect and electric doesn't have large temperature excursions like gas does.
    It may sound like I'm particular and I am.
    After years of cooking on inferior, short lived appliances, I just get something that will last and easy to clean.
    So, cast iron fits that category well.

tp

Edison Carter and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

For the last 35 years I used a coil electric range top that I hated since I grew up with natural gas. Last year that appliance needed replacement. I didn’t want a glass top and when I saw what the gubbament engineered into the electric coils for my own good, I went running for my bottle of pills.

I had an LP tank and line installed and went gas top w/convection oven as my replacement.

Should’ve went LP 30 years ago.

Terry likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Here in the woods LP is the only option.
    Electric is not really a reliable source of energy.
    Although I have electric appliances, I will always have gas as a heating and cooking source.
    tp

gssixgun and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A 100 lb tank connected to a regulator then piped into your stove will last a long time. Unless you cook for lots of people.
    It will also work during power outages.
    Unless you get a fancy gas range that requires electricity to lite and run the burners.
    I find that type unnecessarily complicated.

tp

Edison Carter likes this.
  5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    In order of importance to me;
    1. Ease of cleaning
    2. Safety
    3. Energy efficiency

Gas was never an option for my kitchen reno.
    I have a glasstop, which I'll probably keep since it isn't broken.
    Next will most likely be an induction.

Terry and Edison Carter like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I noticed that although this thread mentions a "well seasoned " iron or steel pan.
    No one has noted just how they get their iron or steel cookware seasoned.
    Here's how I do it...
    When I get new iron or steel, or someone screws one up.
    I turn my outside gas grill on high.
    If they are rusty steel wool is the cleaner.
    After de-rustified (is that a word??) Or new out of the box, A sink full of hot soapy water. Scrub with whatever scrubbing tool you have available.
    At this point having no coating surface rust may develop if you don't work quickly.
    Wipe dry and put on the stove on low heat to warm the item todry for a few minutes or in a oven on about 200 degrees F. You don't need it wher its to hot to handel, just warm.
    Rub oil over all surfaces.
    I use peanut oil, any oil that has a high smoke point will do.
    Now I don't want so much oil that it will pool anywhere. Just a nice thin coating will do fine. I don't use paper towels for this. They seem to leave paper lint that I don't like.
    Coated I place my pot or pan upside down in my grill for about an hour or two on high.
    After an hour, two is better, I turn off the grill and let it all cool down in the grill till I can hold it bare handed.
    I do second oiling just like the first making sure I have a thin coating of oil everywhere.
    Turn my grill on high and bake my pot or pan another two hours.
    After that I let it cool in the grill till I can handel it bare handed.
    Ready to cook.

To clean I just use hot water from the tap and a plastic scrubber.
    If something does stick, I heat up my pan on high then just pour some water in, a quarter cup normally is enough. Then using my plastic scrubber with a handle gently remove the stuck on grime. Make sure there is no grease in the pan or the water may explode. Put it under running water to rinse out the crud.
    Put it on the stove to dry it out.
    Coat it with oil.
    Stor it for the next session.

I normally do a thin coating of oil just before cooking.

How do you prepare and use your iron??
    tp

7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

My cast iron pan I do about the same as yours with either vegetable oil or avocado oil. Maybe four or five times in the twenty plus years of use.
    Hot water wash, towel dried and a thin coat of oil after each use.

My carbon steel pans don't have oven safe handles so I season on the stove top. I used Buzzy Wax for these. Heat to smoking and allow to cool. Did this a couple of times when new.
    An added step I do with them is reheat them on the burner after washing and drying. The handles are riveted on and I don't know if water is getting under the handles where I can't dry by hand. I take this opportunity to do a quick post season before putting the pan away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. Edison Carter

Italian sausage and country ribs (cut up shoulder) saw the grill first for some smoke.

Dumped the meats in with onions sautéing in the high 12.

Topped with green peppers and going in the oven at 300 for a while.

Hope I like it.

DB7E6245-9D49-42DA-9689-4DE4C6D71A83.jpeg

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

New carbon steel pan seasoned and ready for service.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The skillets came today. I made an omelette in the 10”. Yummy!

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

What are y'all using for pot holders? For those of y'all that don't know, I make stuff out of leather so I found a leather pattern for a slip on. I was afraid it wasn't going to protect from the heat but I've made two and they are great. We also have a silicone slip from Lodge but it has taken a backseat to the leather slips.

We have:
    • 10" flat skillet
    • 10" small skillet
    • 12" medium skillet
    • 14" large skillet
    • medium dutch oven
    We too have an induction range. All of our cast iron is far more nonstick than Teflon. Superior in every way except for weight. You have that large skillet full of fried chicken and hot grease, you better make certain you ate your Wheaties.

12. Edison Carter

Speaking of Teflon……

If teflon is the slipperiest stuff known to man, how do they get it to stick to pans?

:cool:

battle.munky likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use oven gloves for potholders. As to the teflon, getting it to stick to pans has always been a problem and affects how it wears.

Terry, battle.munky and Edison Carter like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Sounds like a really sticky situation to me.:scared003:

battle.munky and Edison Carter like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Some of @battle.munky's fine leather work...
    IMG_20210706_204045_947.jpg

16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

battle.munky likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The number is on the back I had to switch my cards around as I would have shared my DL number.... :p

richgem and battle.munky like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband often cooks dinner. So last night, he had a chance to use the new pans. I had to walk him through a few basics, but he caught on quickly. The pan-fried pork chops came out wonderfully crisp!

Terry, IAmTheJody, richgem and 2 others like this.
  19. Love cooking with cast iron. I have a round griddle and a size 9 (~10in) skillet that were given to me, as well as a Lodge dutch oven that I mainly use for baking sourdough bread (I see you @PanChango, nice loaves). I take meticulous care of the skillet since I use it to cook eggs, and the griddle is usually my go-to for smash burgers. I'm gearing up to try and restore some old rusty cast iron that my mom found, maybe a new hobby (like I need another one of those).

20. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Cast iron? Lets see, a 6 quart Dutch oven, 3 frying pans, 12, 10, and 8 inch, a deep fryer 10 inches wide, and 8 deep, 3 skillets one 10 inch and two 8 inch.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    IAmTheJody, Terry, jluc and 2 others like this.