Tom's razor creations

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Jul 7, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Tom @twhite sent me a few razors he made to try out and this is where I'll post my Shave of the Day for each razor. If you find yourself in the position of shaving with one of his creations, feel free to post your SoD here as well!

But before, I should mention these razors aren't for sale. He doesn't create them to sell. It's a hobby to satisfy his curiosity - maybe to try something new, maybe a new idea, maybe fulfilling a "what if" moment... Either, or, his talent shines and I'm very appreciative to have this opportunity.

=========================

The first of his razors I chose to take for a spin (2 days ago but just getting around to starting this thread) is the Bunny V2 injector. The second version in his Bunny injector line, it's all aluminum - head, guards and handle - save for the blade holding hood/spring which is copper. It comes with three guard plates... MILD, NOT SO(mild or wild) and WILD. The handle is removable and swappable like most DE razors are. It uses regular single and twin injector blades from a regular keyed injector blade magazine.

IMG_20210707_194058~2a.jpg IMG_20210707_194131~2b.jpg
    IMG_20210707_194201~2c.jpg IMG_20210707_194212~2d.jpg

As someone who very much enjoys using various Schick and Eversharp injector razors, and have always wanted a regular injector razor that uses regular injector blade magazines and that I could swap out handles on, it's no surprise that this is the first of Tom's razors that I chose to trial.

The accessories:
    • New, unused vintage Personna 74 injector blade
    • Palmolive Men Classica Shaving Cream, Italian-made version
    • Simpson "The Duke" best badger hair brush
    • Suribachi bowl for making the lather
    The shave:
    The first thing I noticed is it is going to take some adjustment of injector technique with this bulky head and the "hump" created by the copper blade holding hood/spring. On a regular Schick injector, the hood is pretty much flat against the face, which isn't the case with the Bunny thanks to the "hump" that runs the length of the hood. This means you have to come at your face with a different than usual injector angle. That coupled with the fact that the handle kept loosening took a bit longer to "dial" this razor in. But oh man, once you figure out the unusual angle of attack, the Bunny is pure bliss if you enjoy injectors like I do. I still had issues with the handle loosening but that was quickly solved by changing the handle to my monstrous baseball bat West Coast Shaving stainless steel 4 inch, 175 grams weight handle. Using the WILD guard, I went a WTG pass, a ATG pass and j-hook cleanup - and I finished BBS, hand palming no stubble except in one very close to the ear jawline spot.

Ding ding ding! The Bunny V2 head is a winner winner, chicken dinner! The handle, not so much. But it is the business end that matters, yes? And the business end wins!

Next up is Tom's brass monster TAR razor, which I took for a spin last night - but will post about in this thread at a later time. Long day tomorrow beginning at 4:30.AM so the bed is calling unto me! Preview: I defaced his beautiful brass TAR razor but all is well. ;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Personna 74 injector blade? Breaking out the big guns! Don't see those in a normal SOTD.

jmudrick, twhite and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Sweet blade selection.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. IAmTheJody

To be honest, the only reason I don't use them more often is because of their overpriced reputation. They are great blades for sure but IMHO, vintage 1960s Schick Krona Chrome blades are better than Personna 74 blades, both DE and injector. I just happen to have way more 74 injector blades than Krona Chrome blades. Meaning, I'm totally out of my beloved Krona Chrome blades.
    :angry017:

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I have some of the Dutch Schick blades. They are incredible. I will have to try and hunt down some Krona blades.
    Is it ok if I post my shaves here? I am going to fire up one of my razors tonight. An injector blade razor. Unfortunately you have to hand load it.

6. IAmTheJody

I've read and heard great things about the Dutch Schick blades too!

And yes, definitely and of course! This thread is for anyone to post shaves of the day with your razor creations. Anyone, including you, the creator!

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

This is a razor I did early this year. I was just doodling and drew this basic design. So the next day I drew it up and printed that night. This was literally conceived and made in less than 36 hours. The wonders of 3D printing. It utilizes magnets like my Wabbit. It has 3 plates for aggression.

It is a nice smooth shave. Compared to a Schick G would be my guess.

Anyhow I used a standard Chick blade (8) shaves on this blade and still going. Palmolive cream and Layrite #9[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here is the sketch. From March I did it. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That looks like an ideal leg or head shaving handle.

twhite likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for this thread, @IAmTheJody . I just polished my TAR last night. It will be up for three shaves next week after I shave with my new Merkur Progress. The TAR is similar except for the open comb and about an ounce heavier.
    IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will have to get my wife to try it out. On her head as she does not shave her legs.:eek:

Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    And here I thought you were going to take one for the team and shave your legs.:innocent

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I would but unfortunately most of my leg hair has mysteriously disappeared these last few years. nobody told me you go bold on your legs:angry019: when you get older.

Note to young guys. your leg hair falls out starting in your mid 50's:rofl:

14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The Bunny is one one of my favorite injectors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Tom,

Do you have vascular disease (coming from an ER physician ). Often the first sign of peripheral vascular disease is losing your hair on your legs and/or arms (before pain with exercise aka claudication, or skin color changes / wounds from decreased blood flow). Just checking

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

No I do not. Never had much leg hair to start with.
    I get full checkups every 6 months. Ever since I had a stroke 13 years ago. I will however bring this up on my next visit in a few weeks.

Thank you for your concern and the very informative info. You have to love this place. So many truly caring people here.
    Tom

17. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

No worries buddy. Always trying to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

The second of Tom's razors I chose to take for a spin (5 days ago but just getting around to posting about it) is the brass, adjustable TAR DE. The beast. The heavyweight. The King Kong Bundy (any 1980s WWF wrestling fans?) of DE razors!

If there ever was an adjustable razor that really brushed up next to the infinitely adjustable razor class, this one is it. It literally adjusts the angle and blade gap until it finally let's go of the last thread on the cap post. It goes from "Very mild." to "Where did my top lip disappear to?" And I just really love the very deep and art-deco look of the combs. They look like they scroll on and on and on forever. This is without any doubt a serious work of art. A beautiful razor.

In my previous post, I said I defaced this razor. Tom sent it to me with the numbers, dot indicator and guard and cap indicators painted white. As is my usual process when I finish shaving, I always dip my razors in rubbing alcohol to not only sterilize them but also help in evaporating any water that may be left inside and out of the razor. This, unfortunately, removed 99% of the white paint in the numbers, dot indicator and guard and cap indicators. Honestly I think it looks better now in its natural brass state, but that is not how it was sent to me and me being the steward of his razor, I felt bad about this defacing. Luckily for my ego, he was amused by this and assured me all was well and it's nothing to repaint everything that needed to be repainted.

IMG_20210707_194241_resize_3.jpg

IMG_20210707_194332_resize_66.jpg IMG_20210707_194500_resize_26.jpg IMG_20210707_194307_resize_90.jpg IMG_20210707_194316_resize_88.jpg IMG_20210707_194325_resize_58.jpg IMG_20210707_194434_resize_20.jpg IMG_20210707_194414_resize_61.jpg IMG_20210707_194404_resize_18.jpg IMG_20210707_194241_resize_3.jpg

The accessories:
    • New BIC DE blade
    • Tabac Original Shaving Cream
    • Simpson "Berkeley" best badger hair brush
    • Suribachi bowl for making the lather
    The shave:
    The first thing you have to decide is where you are going to start the adjustment. Locked down tight or full tilt? And the crazy amount of adjustment in between? I locked it tight all the way down twisting the knob to the right, which put it at number 5 at the indicator dot? Yes, number 5. So then I turned the knob left until number 1 was at the indicator dot. This is where I began my shave. A couple of strokes in, there wasn't much blade feel. It was super mild. So I dialed the knob left some more, to number 6. Now we're getting some super smooth hair erasure! This is where I completed most of my WTG passes. Most. Curiosity lingers of course. To finish out my last two "lanes", I dialed the knob to the left some more and stopped at number 4. This is where the knob stops turning with resistance. At 4.5, the knob turns loosely. So I'm on 4 to finish my last two WTG passes, the first of which was hassle free and mowed down the hair like I was cutting down trees with a super high power military laser! The second and final WTG pass was cutting down trees until I got half way through the pass and it decided to cut down some of my flesh as well. Ouch! User error and I knew it before the "stop!" signal made it to my brain and then to my hand. My fault for thinking this wide open was a breeze and driving the razor like I was on the winter Olympics bobsled team instead of like I was on the Olympics curling team. Bleeding now under control, I tightened the knob right all the way down. Then left to number 5. This is the setting I finished all of my ATG passes and clean up with. When it was all over, I felt smoother than a wet dolphin! The brass TAR is IMHO the most efficient DE I've ever had the pleasure of using. The practically endless adjustability makes it the perfect razor for a 14-year old shaving beginner to a well seasoned, dare I say, straight razor user. The weight of it alone does all of the work and in fact, I found myself trying to be very light-handed with it - except at the point I cut myself. That was a moment where negative pressure would have been warranted. :happy102:

Next review will be for Tom's 3D printed plastic TNNSER GEM-style SE razor. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Dave in KY, twhite and Edison Carter like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Brass TAR

The world’s best adjustable.

IAmTheJody and twhite like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm..I'm going Tom-X

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk