Tom's razor creations

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I thought Tom @twhite once said his inspiration for TAR was Famex.

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great memory. You are correct. I used the same basic geometry. My TOMX that I reverse engineered from a FAMEX

IAmTheJody and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Tom, I think have all your leg hair. Want some back?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes please. It will be nice to have some.

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Look like cage heads......

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes. I made a replacement cap for a member. So I took the liberty to get some basic measurements and did my take on a cage razor. I liked the resulting geometry, so that geometry was what I started with for my TAR.

Dave in KY likes this.
  7. Dave in KY

Cool, I have a Famex. Great razor :happy088:

jmudrick, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

:angry019::angry019::angry019::angry019:;)

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  9. Dave in KY

Relax, it's not a T4 :happy102::happy097:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

Touche' but still. I want one ridiculously bad. So bad, I almost pulled the trigger on a Le Coq cage head but it doesn't adjust the cage in the same fashion.

Dave in KY likes this.
  11. Dave in KY

Sorry, mine may or may not have been sent to Mr @Edison Carter :innocent

Edison Carter and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The question is going to be how much?

Dave in KY likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah the Le Coq and Famex are really completely different razors. The Le Coq has no gap but huge exposure, the Famex has gap but is adjustable in a pretty wide range from old type mild to quite aggressive.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

14. Dave in KY

Try it out and then we'll talk numbers ;)

Edison Carter likes this.
  15. IAmTheJody

AKA get hooked first. :rofl:

Herm2502 and Dave in KY like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

So the Famex and the RazVite are the ones that the cage adjusts by tightening or loosening the handle, yes?

Edison Carter likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes. A couple of other brandings were available as well.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. IAmTheJody

And I'm assuming some were better quality materials than others? Brass vs pot metal, etc.?

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't think any of the cages were brass, some type of steel (?). My RazVite cap may be pot metal, or just poorly plated, it's got some bubbling going on.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. IAmTheJody

So I finally finished by SoD review above on Tom's brass TAR adjustable razor. Next up is his 3D printed plastic TNNSER GEM-style SE razor. This shave absolutely floored me so to speak and as a result, Tom in his usual generosity is sending me an actual GEM open comb Micromatic to use and own.

I was able to use the TNNSER quicker than I had expected thanks to finding in a junk drawer a vintage 1949-1960s GEM Push-Pak SE blade dispenser that still has 8 unused GEM stainless steel blades in it! I totally forgot I had these blades and they have been sitting in the junk drawer for about 10 years!

The last time I shaved with a GEM-style SE razor was also about 10 years ago! It was a GEM Push-button. And it ate me alive! And I never touched another GEM-style SE razor again. Until now.

I'll update this post in a bit with the review and results. For now, here is the pictures I took of the TNNSER 3D.

IMG_20210707_194540_resize_39.jpg

IMG_20210707_194540_resize_39.jpg IMG_20210707_194528_resize_63.jpg IMG_20210707_194549_resize_10.jpg IMG_20210707_194553_resize_50.jpg IMG_20210707_194655_resize_70.jpg IMG_20210707_194644_resize_33.jpg IMG_20210707_194613_resize_3.jpg
    IMG_20210711_113247_resize_16.jpg IMG_20210711_113348_resize_79.jpg IMG_20210711_113336_resize_22.jpg IMG_20210711_113410_resize_46.jpg

The accessories:
    • 1949-1960s, unused vintage GEM stainless steel blade
    • 1960s NOS Gillette Regular Lather Shave Cream
    • 1950s Ever-Ready 500PBM (Pure Badger Magnetic) brush; has a magnet in the handle end; restored for me with a TGN 22mm Best-grade 3-band badger knot by Jeff @stingraysrock
    • Suribachi bowl for making the lather
    The shave:
    Absolutely floored! This razor is now my new #1! I was completely shocked because I didn't expect the kind of shave that I got especially using a very old, vintage blade. As I stated earlier, it has been many years since I attempted a shave with this style of razor. That was a disaster. The shave today proves that learning and experience definitely helps. I had a sense of surprise after only the first WTG stroke and knew immediately this was going to be an eye opener experience. I continued my WTG passes, in small strokes, knowing the best way to go about this would be the going for hair reduction method rather than the remove as much hair as possible in one uninterrupted stroke as possible - although the way the TNNSER "drains away" the lather and shaved fur definitely would have allowed for the uninterrupted stroke method. All WTG passes completed, I could have stopped right there and still had a fantastic shave, as good as some of my DE razors after all WTG and ATG passes. But as the WTG passes we're also satisfying and eye-opening, I was all in. Time for the ATG and XTG passes! But then I had a sense of hesitation. It's usually the ATG passes that "hurt" if there is going to be any hurt in my shaves. The tugging and pulling that usually occurs on my neck just under my chin and goatee. When this does happen, it just happens. Doesn't matter if the blade is brand new or old. It's still occurs. I guess my hair is in this area are just really tough. And while even though new, this blade I used is rather old. 70+ years old. So I started my ATG passes slowly and with caution. When I was done with these passes, I experienced no "hurt" whatsoever. And to be honest, I think my next XTG passes we're unnecessary as I received the closest, smoothest shave ever in my whole shaving experience with just my WTG and ATG passes. I only did the XTG passes to satisfy feeling complete in this shave.

I am now sold and hooked on GEM-style SE razors! It's like a whole new world has opened to me and I have no interest in DE and injectors right now. Yikes!

Edit: I've since used the TNNSER again, this time with a new modern PTFE coated GEM blade. And I boldly stepped forward with the TNNSER this time... I shaved my head with it, in addition to my face and neck!

This. Razor. Is. Amazing. And with my new coated GEM blades, even more amazing than with the vintage blades I found and have been using.

Not a weeper, not a nick, not a cut, no irritation... anywhere. Face, neck and my whole fat head! Just BBS face, neck and dome!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021