Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Micromatic Monday lives again. :bounce015::eatdrink047:
    Just remembered every day is Monday on this thread. And any razor from the American Safety Razor family that takes a Gem blade is welcome. That includes Gem, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet. I don't think I'm forgetting any. What do you think @Ron R

3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, July 6th 2021, thought my blade was spent from yesterday(8)but thought I would test this it in my Everready Streamline because it lets a person know in a hurry the blade condition, still a excellent blade on (9). Usually 10> shaves with a Gem blade.

Razor: Everready Streamline 2nd generation, Mfg 1949-53 excellent upper mid range> eye candy, once mastered it shaves great, a challenging razor at first to dial in but once that is done you will receive some great shaves, nice razor to use when # of uses on a blade gets higher to take full advantage of Gem coated blades IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE blade(9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
    Soap: Gillette Pure, nice fresh scent, great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi High mountain silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrub, densely packed knot, great lather painter. Its Yaqi premiere brush if using pricing as a indicator, got mine on sale like usually .
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor(RR Creed Adventist Version)with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] Excellent shave with my ER Streamline 2nd Gen + a coated Gem blade.
    ASR shave Tue. July 6th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Fri, July 9th 2021

Razor: Gem Clog Pruf(Peerless model 17nib SB) Mfg 1945, excellent mid range, smooth & comfortable, excellent design & built to last.
    Blade: Kai Protouch modified (2) Excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity, a little pricey compared to Gem SS PTFE blade. Gem coated tends to have better longevity from my experience but the Protouch is a smoother shave for the first couple of shaves IMO. Gem coated blades will shave closer because of its proven sharpness, Kai Protouch reaches a nice shave regardless.
    Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandal wood, nice sandal wood scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Aquarius 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, good scrub + great lather painter. Seems like Yaqi tried to imitate a 2 band badger feel IMO. Great brush with a lot of effort to jam the handle with sea setting articles.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Ogallala Bayrum with Sandalwood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem Clog Pruf with a Kai Protouch modified.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Sat, July 10th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic OC- Mfg 1930-41, excellent mid range, well built, l enjoy this very popular razor in it's glory days 1930's.
    Blade: Kai Protouch MG modified (3)- I enjoy experimenting with this blade in my Schick injectors and only my Gem Micromatics + Yaqi Excalibur 1st Version & 50mm folding Shavette.
    Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood. nice sandal wood scent, it has great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, great scrubber + great lather painter.
    Post shave: Witch hazel +Ogallala aftershave with sandalwood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my MMOC with a modified Kai protouch.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

6. IAmTheJody

Micromatic Monday is any day! :happy102:

I've got my eyes out for an OC MM now after having gotten the best shave ever in my wet shaving life from Tom's 3D printed GEM-style SE razor and a 1950s NOS GEM stainless steel blade, this week. Got 100 coated GEM blades out for delivery today so it's definitely time to own a real GEM razor!

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Don’t buy one. I have one I can send you. Glad to help SE converts.

PanChango, Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  8. IAmTheJody

Whoa! Thank you thank you thank you!
    :eatdrink047:
    And I was just about to hit the Buy It Now button on a lot listing for two OC MM razors I've had in my watchlist since Wednesday. Very generous offer and no shame here in taking you up on it! Now you can hold it for ransom until I return your other razors? :happy097:

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

:)

GAW9576 and IAmTheJody like this.
  10. GAW9576

Yep all 8 days a week are Micromatic Monday on this thread. Once you have had a chance to use the MMOC Twhite is sending you the next razor to look for is a 1912. Any one of them is great but I really like the Baton handles.

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You are going to enjoy the Micromatic OC, its a nice mid range. Like GAW9576(Greg) mentioned a 1912 any model is also a nice razor (mid range also). You can also pick Gem razors at Antique stores usually reasonably priced and save on shipping. In Canada Gem razors where not as popular and that was a shame because they are excellent razors once your technique is dialed in. Enjoy!

12. GAW9576

Hey @Ron R could you re-post some of the razor info and instructions. Much of that I fo could be useful to @IAmTheJody. Also @IAmTheJody if you are new to SE try shaving with ZERO pressure. It's surprising how well these razors an Shave just tickling the skin.

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Sure, I should do that on the other site also.
    I like to post these every once in a while to folks who have no manuals or just getting into AmericanSafetyRazor Corp razors.
    blade_angle-se-de.gif Gem procedure (2).jpg

Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
    Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, July 12th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic OC - Mfg 1939-41, excellent mid, built to last, good results even when blade is nearing its end.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
    Soap: Italian barber Amici, nice mild citrus scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, nice scrub, pillow like soft tips + a great lather painter.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG +pickups.
    Post shave : Italian barber Amici AS with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with my Gem MMOC + Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

15. GAW9576

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

17. IAmTheJody

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

A.S.Razor shave, July 13th, 2021

Razor: Gem Featherweight 1st Generation, Mfg 1950-52,2nd Gen 1952-54, excellent <mid range, excellent razor for breaking in a new Gem blade with stellar results. Easy to work the face reasonably carefree.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Speick, nice spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. Very nice soap IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area only.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemmish weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem Featherweight + a Gem coated blade.
    MMMonday , July 13th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

19. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave with the British Ever-Ready 1912 today. Such a fantastic razor and I love the peerless handle.

IMG_14072021_191454_(1100_x_1100_pixel).jpg

20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Sat, July 17th, 2021. Still experimenting with my protouch blades in different razors(Gem Micromatics only & Schick injectors) with some success and makes my other razors more of value to myself if looking for alternative results, Nothing wrong with Gem coated blades but the pricy Protouch is smoother in some respects with the guard if not looking for a true BBS shave. The Gem coated blade is the best overall SE if looking for longevity and great shaves for the least expensive shave possible IMO. DE blades are the only ones that can even come close to $.02 to $.04 cent shaves a Gem SS Coated blade will give(10 shaves average) .

Razor: Gem Micromatic(MMOC), Mfg 1930-41 and was the first mass produced twist to open(TTO) in the USA or the world and is built and designed to last generations with the rack & pinion spring assisted design. This razor saved Gem during the Great Depression I'm thinking.
    Blade: Kai Protouch (4) not designed for the Gem Razors or the Schick injector but will work regardless if cut to length properly & stoned any sharp edges from cutting. Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity for a AC type blade.
    Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood, nice scent with some mild clove mixed in with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo knot- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum + sandalwood.
    Results: CCS, DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem MMOC with a Kai Protouch modified.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031, IAmTheJody and GAW9576 like this.