ANCR hone identification

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by cristiss, Jul 12, 2021.

1. cristiss

cristiss Member

Hello everybody, I have just received a nos hone and I am asking your help in identifying it.

The label writes ANCR on top of an anchor at sea. It is quite small, 13 cm / 3 cm, it is 2 cm thick.

Could it possibly be a thuringian ? It would be my first.

I will lap it this week, not the label side, I will try to preserve it maybe with some lacquer. 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Karl G and Zykris like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Unknown exactly where it originated from. Back in the day, they rebranded a lot of things. It could have come from that area. It does look like a type of slate. I have a couple of Thuringians, and they are fast cutters. I have some Welsh Slate Stones, and they are slow cutters. If yours is a fast cutter, you might have your answer. Me, I wouldn't be too concerned about a name, just how well it works.
    @Billyfergie knows a lot about Eschers Thuringians.

Karl G, Zykris and cristiss like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Thuringian stones usually are double sided, with a yellow side and a green/black side. It could be an Escher. It definitely looks to be a natural slate stone.

Karl G and cristiss like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hmmm, I haven't seen the two sided Thuringians. What you described sounds like the Belgian Coticules to me.

Karl G and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I do believe you are right.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.