First shave with a Ronson

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Old School, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Ronson razor
    Modified Astra DE blade
    Proraso green
    Rubberset 400 w/high mountain white badger 24mm knot
    Dirty Bird scuttle
    Chiseled Face Sherlock after shave

Like wielding a brick to one's face, the Ronson requires you ease in and feel what's happening. You simply don't see what you're used to in the mirror with the large, rectangular, soap catching head.
    A few strokes and it was evident this is a mild and efficient shaver.
    I think I could have done 5 more passes with no irritation.
    The Ronson and I will meet again, soon!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

This is great! I imagine the mildness is due to the thinness of a modern DE blade. The original Ronson blades were much thicker. Looking forward to your use with injector blades.

Old School likes this.
  3. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Yep, I use an Injector in mine. I enjoyed it but not a favorite vintage for me compared to others I reach for. Cool piece of history to use though.

4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I don't have any injector blades or razors... and I'm not going there lol.

Dave in KY likes this.
  5. Dave in KY

So how are you modifying the de? Splitting in 2? Using both sides of the razor head ?

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Going in the mail to you today... Personna 74 "in disguise" blades. :eatdrink047:
    IMG_20210713_081340~2_resize_11.jpg

7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Basically the blade tray has a raised nub on both sides that an original blade is keyed to, but the tabs on a standard DE blade overlap them, not allowing the blade to lay flat.

I saw YouTube video where the guy snips the ends off of a standard DE blade to make it fit.
    Unfortunately that makes two halves, and you simply lay them on the blade tray and screw the cap on.

That method works, but it's fiddly as you delicately push the edges back to make sure they're both straight and lined up.

I improved the process by simply putting a piece of scotch tape on each side of the center hole on a DE blade, AND THEN snip off the ends easily with regular old scissors. This way the two halves stay together when you snip the ends off, and you're guaranteed the blade edges are parallel. As important, you don't have to fiddle with keeping the edges straight, or one falling off while tightening down the top cap as happens to the guy over and over demonstrating on YouTube.
    Pics worth a thousand words:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Dave in KY likes this.
  8. Dave in KY

Yes, I caught the tape trick and I assume that keeps you from having the option to extend the blade out further for a better shave. I just use 1 injector blade on one side and it tightens down. Maybe I should use 1 on the other just as Jeff did as a spacer but I didn't seem to need to. May try it just to see if it changes the shave for me. :happy088: