The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Cearball

Cearball Member

I'm confused here.

I feel the "flat bottom tech" & "flat bottom NEW" as I recognise them are essentially the same razor just one with SB & one OC.

I guess I don't really understand why the FB OC would be a tech?

Is this due to Gillette ads?

brit likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No, not the same. Here are three different heads, (R)Flat Bottom New, Flat Bottom Tech, and my rare OC Flat Bottom. As you can see the RFB New and other (New FBs) are a different configuration, while my razor is indeed identical to the Flat Bottom Tech except for the open comb. It's nothing to do with Gillette ads as the English "Techs" were never advertised as Techs. Collectors like Mr Razor or Krumholz like categories and some razors aren't easily fitting.[​IMG]

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

John Ruschmeyer, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Cearball

Cearball Member

Most of my razors are in storage ATM so I can't check but I'm fairly confident my "FB NEW" is the same as the one you have on the far right in terms of the baseplate configuration.
    I believe they are fairly common in the UK & some are branded as "7 0 Clock" P1050536.jpg

Like these no?

However yours has a different top cap.

John Ruschmeyer, IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes I believe the plate is same as the 7 O'Clock. With the cap I have it's a very mild shaver.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Cearball and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool.this is the brit version set Andy @ajc347 sent me from England.i added the blades as i use this razor .
    20210708_112052_edited.jpg

my french service set..
    20210621_100658_edited.jpg

6. brit

brit in a box

1949/50? brit post war ball end tech
    no etching/gillette insignia on cap.but identical to later thick caps with frosted etching
    originally scored in a late #44 case.
    could be someone's build up..

[​IMG]

John Ruschmeyer and Aztecmike like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Would you describe the two as very mild ? Mine sure is.

Cearball and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i would say so.:)tech mild..i prefer my RFB versions as they are heavier..i believe you have far more aggressive feeling razors than i ..:)

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ok. I have my RFB on deck for tomorrow.

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:):eatdrink047:

jmudrick likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

this tech has post war safety guards and a more aggressive feel than the earlier fb brit techs.
    #25 brit service tech

[​IMG]

12. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

The British factory switched to safety bar only in 1946, why the post war attributive?

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

in reference to the u.s post war safety bar design grooving like the 49 and newer brit techs.no one can accurately date this razor.gillette logo and made in england script is stamped below the pin slots unlike the others which are stamped above pin slots.Was this variant the earlier version or later one? 1949 saw the u.s post war design baseplate in england.

14. brit

brit in a box

20210117_111040_edited.jpg
    20191123_214536_edited.jpg

post war style safety guard variant on upper pic left and lower pic far right .

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    tonich and Edison Carter like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Side by side comparison of the French made open comb Tech with the later model open comb Techs made in England and sold under the Gillette and Nacet brands.

oc1.jpg oc2.jpg

Besides each being based on different Tech head designs the handles are also different lengths with the French one having a longer aluminum handle than the Nacet branded one which has what I think is the standard length handle you see on Techs with that style of handle.

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very cool..nice score.matching tech version on right.how long is the handle on your oc version?
    tech2_edited.jpg

John Ruschmeyer likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It should the same handle as the one on the right length wise.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool.thank you.:)

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Interestingly they also made these French model Techs marked as made in England. Even more curious is the made in France base plate is written in English on the one I have.
    [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

my tech version of this set says made in france but written in english.:)the blades and razor head positions in the case are switched around as well.they don't fit if i move them around like your pic.

John Ruschmeyer likes this.