Info for two Gillette Old Type sets.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Jul 14, 2021.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Trying to get some info on these two sets as I didn't see these on @mr-razor's site. The left one was made in Canada (338880) and has a thin handle. The one on the right is an ABC set dated to 1910. It's similar to the 1912 Pocket Edition No500A, but also has a thin handle. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20210714_140855_5.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Veeery nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you are asking specifically about the handles, they are correct handles.

The one on the left is a Canadian ABC set. I had one just like yours. I called it the "moon ball" handle because of the smooth ball end. Yours looks like the exact same one I had but missing most of the plating on the handle.

The ABC set on the right is called the Shell handle version. There were three variants of the Shell handle of which two have a single ring at the neck and the third has double rings at the neck. Of the single ring Shell handles... One has a uniform diameter for the entire length of the handle - which is what you have - whereas the other single ring Shell variant handle has a gradual tapering like the Shell with two rings.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

I couldn't find those sets, but I did believe the handles are correct. But didn't know the Canadian set is an ABC set, as the handle seems solid like the other ABC sets. I also am wondering what number the set on the right is.

5. IAmTheJody

The set on the right is No. 502 B: Gold Plated Case and Razor

Lots of times, all of the ABC sets weren't matching pattern razor and case. Many of them were sold mixed up. The Plain, Flower pattern, Empire pattern, Shell pattern, Basket pattern and Leather case... All of them could be purchased mixed up. For example, you could buy a set that had an Empire pattern razor in a Flower pattern case, etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  6. jimjo1031

Yes, I figured the cases would be different for the same set. That can be confusing when trying to name the set. The one on the left has the silver floral pattern, which I had to re-line. And the one on the right is smooth gold plated.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  7. IAmTheJody

One of the worst feelings of regret I ever had was having to sell my mint condition Leather case ABC that had a gold Scroll pattern razor and the Gillette diamond logo engraved on the top of the cap, and both of my very fine condition Empire sets, one gold Empire razor in gun metal Empire case and the other silver Empire razor in silver Empire case. It really wasn't even about the rarity for me. They were just fantastic, beautiful sets. Your sets are a great score, especially the Canadian ABC. Don't see those moon ball handles often. Are you going to get it replated?

8. jimjo1031

Those were some nice razors you had. I have to check all of my sets because I'd eventually like to get some re-plated.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. IAmTheJody

I'm not you but if I were you, I would definitely get the Canadian set replated, seeing as how you had to restore the case as well. I would go all in on that set.

10. brit

brit in a box

cool canadian set Jim.:cool:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

brit likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

I agree.

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

Another thought came to me. Since the labels are the same on both, I can switch them so the original gets to the Canadian set. It was missing on the Canadian set, or I would have glued it on.

brit likes this.
  15. IAmTheJody

You mean remove the label from the 502 B set? Personally, I wouldn't do that. The 502 B is full and complete. I can't imagine messing it up. Keep an eye out for a case only with the same label, or a case with a mismatch store oddball razor in it that has the same label. Those come up quite often.

brit, Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.