What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Honed these two razors, CVH MK No.30 with Ivory scales and a Kayser Ellison on Naniwa 5K, Satake 10K and finally the Jnat Yaki-Ire approximately 12K. Trying these tomorrow morning.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

JNat slurry on the Lune, trying to tame the edge a lityle. The slurry was raised on the JNat with a tomo, then transferred to the Lune. Nothing needed to cut surface tension of the water, JNat slurry does that as well as anything. The slurry surprised me and darkened a little at 8 strokes used to finish the edge.

HHT was interesting. Root out it seemed like a typical Lune edge silent HHT far from the hold point. Root in, still silent but you needed to be closer to the hold point. Interesting. Shave tomorrow.

78CB4AB4-5E2A-4E78-86EC-A892EE36DEFB.jpeg 0590887A-A020-441E-B444-BBFF2508348D.jpeg

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Just some from Mon

Escher Blue/Green

[​IMG]

Nakayama

[​IMG]

9-Ball Slate

[​IMG]

jgreenepa, Zykris, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Send that Iwasaki and Revisor to me Glen!

jgreenepa and gssixgun like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

How long did all of those take you? Did you have to set a new bevel on each?

jgreenepa likes this.
  6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Yes I always set a new bevel

I use the same logic as when handed a Weapon, I consider it loaded until I check it myself
    Same with a Bevel, it ain't set until I set it myself

I usually do 8 razors per day because that is all I can test

Basically it really is all about the Bevel set, once that is set, a razor takes me maybe 20 minutes to finish honing and stropping.

How long it takes to set the bevel is the question, I started years ago to never go more than twice through on any one razor for a bevel set.
    I line up the razors and go through my system to set a bevel, if it doesn't hit I move that razor to the back of the line and continue on. Once I get back to it I try again paying a bit more attention to it, if it still doesn't hit I set it aside until the next day
    Nothing good has ever come from grinding away for hours on them :)

That my story and I am sticking to it hehehehe

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Glen is absolutely correct about setting your own bevel and not grinding away at them for long periods, chip removal maybe an exception.

I’ve also found that if I do chip removal or corrective honing using higher pressure and more aggressive strokes, I don’t finish as well the same day. I think there’s some short term muscle memory involved, so waiting until the next day to finish after the ‘rough stuff’ seems to help. Could also be that you just get a little tired and don’t execute as well?

If I do 6 bevel sets and they all pass HHT at 4k, I’ll wait until the next day to finish for best results.

Someone who hones a lot and is willing to pass on the wisdom is an asset to the community, thanks Glen.

jgreenepa and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Thanks guys. I set the bevel on each new one too. Also, I've walked away from razors too. Then, the next day, or later that day, I pick them up, hit the stones, and it was like there was never an issue. What the heck?

jgreenepa and gssixgun like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’ve done the same thing! Could NOT get an edge, give up, then come back in a day or two and easy pie. I have no idea what that’s all about.

10. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Probably the mindset for the day? I have experienced the same thing that sometimes it’s nearly impossible to hone a razor and a week after it works perfectly…

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreenepa, Steve56 and DaltonGang like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hans, I hope that you and your family are safe and dry and have avoided the floods, along with our other European members.

It’s a cloudy, humid and showery day here, so I got out my old Wosty frameback and one of Alex Gilmore’s hoard kiita/iro koppas and did some honing. It’s from my trip to Sonoma last year. This one is soft and fine, and benefits from a few clear water strokes hand held. It performed just like it did in Sonoma when I tested it, silent HHT in or out. The tomo is hard so the slurry was almost all base stone.

5A8CA35B-128D-4D32-8CBB-D48B63B85B33.jpeg

DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Showers and T-storms headed this way and it’s thundering, so why stop honing? This odd JWest is a ‘Nelson’ razor, ‘For Barber’s Use’, and is made of ‘Nelson Steel’ which AFAIK doesn’t exist. One hint is that it had a Schöeller-Bleckman sticker on it so it’s probably Fenix Steel, or Böhler steel. It’s NOS and I got it for peanuts because it has a tiny crack way up on the end of the heel, what would be called the choil if it were a knife. I figured I could use it as a travel or test razor, and it’s quite good. You’d have to wear it down to 4/8 or less to get to the crack so the crack is really irrelevant except for reducing value.

I thought this razor was probably an anomaly, but apparently it isn’t. The eBay seller April7th1987 or whatever had the same razor, with the same crack in the same place except his was worse. I didn’t go for the pair!

The hone is another Alex Gilmore hoard kiita from last year’s visit, this one pure kiita yellow - I call it the butterstick kiita for obvious reasons. There’s no goma, no nashiji, no cracks, no lines, no nothing, just pure yellow. The tomo was the same hard tomo as before, and I finished on thin slurry then clear water strokes at the faucet.

Maybe I’ll do a comparison tomorrow.

9BE90716-C76D-418E-B37E-6FF7C03AEB24.jpeg

jgreenepa, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Restraint :)
    I might have to take a lesson some day.

jgreenepa and Steve56 like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Let me know what you’re restraining from Tom. :D

jgreenepa and TestDepth like this.
  15. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    After way too long away from the bench I went Full progression on my NOS 8:8 Herder then used it WOW and hit it again and did my pre tariff 5:8 Wade and Butcher while at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgreenepa, Steve56, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Testing out a 6x3 slate, sourced from an acquaintance of Glen - allegedly a piece of Italian slate from a pool table.

It’s quite good, the initial test was ‘as recieved’ no lapping, burnishing, etc and on glycerin and water. The scratch patter shows a hazy finish with many fine and very uniform scratches. The shave was excellent with the exception of a little resistance on the chin ATG second pass. The shave was outstanding with no stubble returning for 10+ hours. I’m hoping that a little edge tweaking will resolve the ATG chin thing.

E963E8D0-009A-4A1F-B315-AE7F5BA0FC59.jpeg

17. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

One of my Torrey needed only running through my diamond strops to be laser keen again. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. DaltonGang

Did you slurry directly on the hone, or use a lapping plate to transfer it??

19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Scott, I have the same slate, and touched up this Herder 49 obtained from Tom (@TestDepth) and then finished on Howard Schlecter’s 4-sided pasted constroption (side 1, 0.5 microns; side 2, 0.25 microns; side 3, 0.1 microns; side 4, 0.05 microns) and finished on a roo skin bench strop. Unbelievably sweet edge this morning for my mug shave!
    71D7EF2C-E6FA-4798-B169-0A4FD5FFAA9F.jpeg
    E181E7A2-243B-47AE-8BC4-4A56C59237E5.jpeg

DaltonGang and gssixgun like this.
  20. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

Glad you both like them, You just never know how long a source of good slate is going to last..
    I am very happy with mine, it seems to work on most Steels equally too, I haven't tried it on Japanese steel yet but might soon