-Gillette's-Finest-Razors-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Jun 16, 2021.

1. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jody.i like to use this razor quite often ,but usually pair it or one similar with the french solid thin handle.the one thin handle brit razor i like the most is the 1945 #77 rfb 3 piece.it has the thin handle but it's a touch longer and unique to the set.,also the only nickel plate new rfb i am aware of.the earlier ones are all silver plate.:)

MacDaDad and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gillette open comb Tech razor. Made for French market and supposed to be made in France from the base plate marking.
    oct1.jpg oct2.jpg oct3.jpg

Dave in KY, brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

5. brit

brit in a box

1934 New De Luxe red and black set

20210716_115813_edited.jpg

6. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Gillette President, Y4

IMG_9876.jpg IMG_9877.jpg IMG_9878.jpg

7. brit

brit in a box

jay_gatz likes this.
  8. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Took the Bostonian out for a spin...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

9. brit

brit in a box

cool bostonian set..love that case..true art..:cool:

Old School likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

it's a lovely razor to use in this configuration i must admit.:).

MacDaDad and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

46-7 aristocrat

20210717_081355_edited.jpg

my favorite of the aristocrat line.i like the others but with the gradual knurling changes they remind me of the 62 corvette..

ca0815-219970_3@2x.jpg

cool but i like the 57 and 63 better..;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  12. Northstonehill

Northstonehill Active Member

This is not a sight to see every day! … In fact this is the very first time I ever saw a complete set. The 1930 New Foldabrush Shave Kit with the patented fold-a-brush and ingenious cream dispenser. Always been intrigued by that brush, dispenser and the whole case setup!

I need to investigate more about this particular set which is in superb condition even with the plunger and the manual present. Judging from the inscriptions it seems this set may have been a promotion set for a Boston company: The case innards thus bear the inscription ‘Old Colony Distributing Co - Boston, Mass’.

Also in the set was one of the coveted and seemingly rare Gillette De Luxe Kro-Man blades (which I believe came matched with this set?). As of this morning inbound from a very kind seller in Rome, Italy.

Maybe one of you guys have more intel?

This for sure is one of my very best scores ever [​IMG]

8BA1EA66-000C-4038-9573-43115CF323E4.jpeg 45D16BE4-5C27-4D97-91C2-E5E4FB540E58.jpeg 80BAC2D4-D910-4B2C-AB8E-15ABFF3F9E78.jpeg 7D01EB72-6E2A-4E74-AA2A-92A8890C30A0.jpeg 92B3C8BD-6A2B-4C41-A4B9-6AFC56ECCA73.jpeg 9E16232B-2085-4B0A-A603-3B21C4737975.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I’d love to see the photos, maybe this could help.

On an older phone I used, I’d text those large pictures to myself and then save the smaller file for uploading. It always seemed to work.

My kids made me get an iPhone that allows a choice on file size now.

brit likes this.
  14. Northstonehill

Thanks Edison - worked like a charm :eatdrink047: Pics uploaded.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Your welcome. Bill is my real name.

Beautiful stuff!

MacDaDad, brit and Northstonehill like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Saw it on eBay. Had it in my watch list just to see what it went for in bids or the Make Offer. Excellent price for a set in this condition. These are fantastic sets. Very unique not only for the folding brush but also the razor handle as the "plunger" for the shaving cream tube. Beautiful set and congrats on being the new owner!

17. Northstonehill

Thanks a bunch Jody! - Well yes, I did first make a quite good counter offer, which was rejected immediately. Then I thought about it for a second and then (like you) realized that the offer price was quite sensible given the condition. I could not walk away, haha.

brit, Edison Carter and IAmTheJody like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

Here's a link to my very old thread from back when I got my set years ago... The picture links are dead but there is still some other useful information in there...
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/1930-foldabrush-with-gillette-new.21827/

19. Northstonehill

Thanks Jody - an awesome read. I was wondering about the Old Colony thing!

Did you notice that this one comes with a Kroman blade :happy093:

brit, Edison Carter and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. IAmTheJody

Yes! The Kroman blade definitely adds to the value. I've seen a single Kroman blade go for $50. There definitely aren't many around as Gillette recalled and destroyed what they could get back from dealers/retailers but that was almost an impossibility to get them back from private citizens who had already purchased them. Gillette even ran big public apologies in newspapers around the country for offering such a horrible razor blade.