Gillette President Arrived

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Jul 15, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I also would opine to shave with it unless using it hurts it value. In this instance it doesn't. The only time I would opine to shave with a razor even if using it does hurt it's value is when you decided it is your razor and not something that might be passing through.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd also add the Gillette President depending which banding is on the handle is the same exact razor as it's gold plated counterpart. They differ in plating is all. The one you have is the same as a Gillette Diplomat. Other tidbit only the handle is rhodium plated the razor head should be nickel plated.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For informational purposes
    The Gillette President razor was first introduced in 1953 and sold through at least 55 possibly as late as 1957.
    Gillette President V1
    [​IMG]

These ones are the same razor as 1pc Aristocrats produced from 1948 - 1951. They only exist far as I know with date codes of Y1 and Y2 and should be made with left over parts from the previously discontinued Aristocrat razors.

Gillette President V2 and the one the O.P. has
    [​IMG]
    These are the same razor as the 1pc Diplomats which also came out in 1953 as the successor to the 1pc Aristocrat razors.

Both these razors shave differently from each other but are much easier obtainable in their gold plated counterparts in the Aristocrat and Diplomat razor sets.

4. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Is the executive the gold version of the fat boy?

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

yes but it has the knurling pattern like the slim adjustable. 1960 (F4) Executive German Set.jpeg 1961 Fatboy G3.jpg 1961 G4 Slim.jpg

6. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

yes.it is very similar to the 2nd gen brit aristocrat
    1949 Executive von Jody Renaldo.jpg 1948 Aristocrat No21.jpeg

8. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

The answer is yes! Nice score. And show us more of your watch in the background.

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

check out this site..
    https://mr-razor.com/

10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

brit likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Correct same set name but that is all it shares in common with the later Executive adjustable.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

so?.the knurling difference was an easy way to show the difference,not just plating..

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Technically the first fat boy is the Red Dot Fatboy which preceeds both by a few months in 1958. It has the same knurling as the later standard Fat Boy. That is the one with same adjustment method as Toggles but using a TTO knob instead of a flip switch. Most likely they decided the newer adjustment method on the Executive was better or easier to produce and they switched the razor head from a red dot to what was on the Executive.

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

beyond collectability and such was the executive adjustable a different shave than the fatboy?

16. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I already have 2 gold executives, one NOS with shipper. They're wonderful shavers.
    I'm waiting on this holy grail executive...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I think so. Been a long time since I've owned a standard Fat Boy but the last time I did when I owned one from every production quarter when I was still collecting Gillette I had shaved a few against the Executive adjustable and thought the Executive was milder on the equivalent dial setting. Either way neither shaved good enough for me on any setting so they never made it into the regular shave rotation.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool..if i see one come up i may have to try it.:eatdrink047:

19. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:cool:.i have a caseless 1950 example .excellent shaver..:)

20. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Agreed. I sold my user Fatboy because I preferred my user executive. I've still got 2 excellent cased Fatboys though. Once in a while I'll use one, and don't get me wrong, they're great, I just prefer my Executive.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.