Returning after 10 years

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Hercule, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

About 10 years ago I dropped out of wet shaving forums (primarily this one and that other one), not sure why exactly but I've decided to come back. Recently I've been hanging out a bit at the other place and I'm beginning to realize why I left. Quite a touchy place that is, and I'm surprised I haven't run afoul already. Anyway the air is pretty thick over there and all the acronyms are getting tiresome, especially having to couch everything in terms of YMMV (Ya think?!!). So I think I'll come back over here and hang out a bit. Only had a few posts way back when so I guess I'm pretty much still a new kid on the block despite being 10 years older. I look forward to contributing to the conversation. So I'll see you at the sink. Be sure to make enough lather for me. I'll bring the blades!

- H

2. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome back..

jgreenepa, Hembree and Hercule like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Howdy. Sometimes it is good to step away. While you stopped visiting the forums, did you continue with wet shaving?

4. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Yes, I've been wet shaving since I was an early teenager (I'm 57), even off and on during a period of about 10 or 15 years when I thought I enjoyed the convenience of an electric razor. I mostly used a multiblade disposable and shaved by feel in the shower. Only in the last year or so have I gone back to traditional DE, brush & puck shaving, something I really haven't done since college. Recently celebrated my return to traditional ways by buying my first "modern" razor - a Razorock Game changer. Due to a snafu of the part of the seller I ended up with both the .68 and .84 plates, so I'm working with them to see which will work best for me for daily shaving - I'm playing around with shimming to beef up the .68 at the moment, and trying to get used to the .84 which is a bit much for my daily needs. Prior to that my go to was a vintage Goodwill open comb with an ABC handle. I have others but only foresee using my dad's '64 Fatboy which is waiting to be restored.

Thanks for welcoming me back!

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Welcome back to TSD, have some great shaves!

Hembree and Hercule like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome back @Hercule to TSD. Though I still belong to "the other site" ;), I participate like the preverbal fly on the wall and rarely toss in my two cents. I hope you enjoy your time here. I understand the feeling about the acronyms and cliches; they can get silly and over used.

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome back from Alabama the Heart of Dixie!

8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:signs046:

tp

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome back to TSD @Hercule from North Cackalacky. It's been a while.
    [​IMG]

10. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

Welcome back Hercule. We missed you where have ya been?

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome back to the Den.

12. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Thanks for the welcome back everybody. It's heartwarming to have been missed, even if only rhetorically. And if sarcastically, even that too.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'll eschew the perceived sarcasm and simply say: Welcome to TSD @Hercule

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Paul Turner and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Oh, no sarcasm intended. No not at all. I'm genuinely glad to be back and look forward to some great conversations. Speaking of which, I had better get started on initiating some...

Primotenore likes this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hey, hey! Welcome back!
    Seems a few of us have returned after a hiatus from TSD.

16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Welcome back! :eatdrink047:

Hercule likes this.
  17. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Welcome back! I had returned last year in October after many years so know the feeling! I don't shave with a DE that much anymore (usually use a cart) as my hand can't always get the angle right anymore. Still enjoy my shaves though.
    Happy shaving!

18. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Thank you Leo and Swarden43. It's great to hear from other returnees.

Leo K. likes this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Hi Hercule, and welcome back to The Shave Den!

I see you have visited Squirrel & Nut, as well. If you really want to make the badger fur fly over there, just point out that saying "YMMV" too much is not gentlemanly. ;) The good news is that The Shave Den also has not changed. It is still the same friendly, welcoming place it used to be.

Enrico likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:innocent Or you can remind them if they can't get a great shave from a vintage razor, it's the fault of the shaver not the razor. :lam:

:happy097: