Unicorn Razor Club (URC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Northstonehill

Northstonehill Active Member

Attached Files:

tonich and brit like this.
  2. Northstonehill

Northstonehill Active Member

Not technically a unicorn, but in this condition and with everything there from soap container, plunger to manual it is not too far off…

795824F2-5E8C-4139-9D18-0AFD19B26E9D.jpeg

IAmTheJody, BBS, tonich and 2 others like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am going to say no. Reason being the razor is nothing special from a design standpoint, you can find lots of similar razors. If you go strictly by it being a Darwin and leave the design out then yes.

brit likes this.
  4. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

:):):) No and Yes - You are a very hard man to please Mr @BBS :):):)

Hows about this one - Robert Frohn Daemon
    I've never seen one before this and I can't find anything on it - so if anyone has any information please post it. I would appreciate it.
    It has an adjustment mechanism unlike anything else that I have seen. The base plate is three solid pieces held together by two spring steel T-Bars and as you tighten the handle it curves the blade more - changing the blade angle and also pushing out the safety bars.

I've also uploaded the leaflet that came with it which shows the "adjustment". The prices are in Reichmarks so somewhere between 1924 and 1948

How does it shave:
    One shave in with a Wizamet and its very mild. I need to revisit it with a Feather

RFrohn001s.jpg

RFrohn006s.jpg

brit, IAmTheJody, Aztecmike and 3 others like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Were closed comb DEs a thing in Germany before the mid 30s?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  6. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

No idea - if that is the case, then that begins to narrow things down so somewhere between mid 30's and 48.
    There are no dates on anything including anywhere in the pamphlet.

brit and jmudrick like this.
  7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Definitely the Gnat. Haven't seen one of those in several years.

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Uncommon are welcome also. The unicorn bar is somewhat subjective depending the criteria.

brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't know if I want to call it a unicorn but it is not one you find for sale that often.
    French made Revelation adjustable razor.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The shoulders are spring loaded to adjust the gap and the cap is differential giving 2 different cutting gaps on each side.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is another one I used to own that I don't want to call a unicorn but it certainly doesn't show up for sale often. This one when it came up for sale at the time a few others also came up for sale. If we were calling it a unicorn then, not 2 seconds later I'd guarantee someone would post well there is like 5 of them on ebay right now so they aren't rare not knowing if that was a regular occurance or not. I've only seen 3 of them come up for sale since I got mine years ago and one of those up for sale was mine. With that said more may have sold in that time frame I am not aware of. Going by what I do know about Cooper razors the Cooper adjustable definitely is the rariest or most uncommon of all their branded razors.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If we go by branding this razor when branded as a Doehler - Jarvis is a bona fide unicorn.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A D-J was just on the Bay and sold quickly. They don't show up often. I have the Cooper and don't find them to be the best shavers but it's an interesting design.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I've only seen 1 Doehler Jarvis branded one and it was a collector's piece they posted pictures of. Never actually seen one for sale. For everyone reading this Doehler Jarvis was a melt smelter and they casted the metal for the those handles on the Cooper adjustable, Kant Rust, and other brands like Hospital. I am pretty sure they did the base plates and caps if they were also cast metal. Metal casting was their business not razors but they did briefly make some of the adjustables they were producing for Cooper under their own company name. I never did determine if they sold them or they were made to given out as gifts to people like company executives or something to that effect.

Edison Carter likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The only boxed ones I've seen were corporate gifts. The casting is pretty poor , I wouldn't want to show it off if it were me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Doehler Jarvis family. Missing the K-Rect.[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Here are the ones I still own including the Krect which is a favorite shaver. My Berkley Shave Selector went to a new home. The extra Hospital unboxed I'll be selling eventually.
    IMG_20210731_125536407.jpg IMG_20210731_125614253.jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You have the first gen Krect like mine. ISO the post war version with the D-J handle matching the Hospital etc[​IMG]

Edison Carter and Dave in KY like this.
  17. Dave in KY

I prefer the 1st Gen one. Saw the 2nd recently on Ebay but snoozed when it sold........

18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Dave in KY likes this.
  19. Dave in KY

Thanks, it gives an AMAZING close and comfortable shave. I've had 3 and will NEVER part with this one.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm not fond of the D-J handles so I'd hold out for a lot find (as I did with the first gen)..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Dave in KY likes this.