TARMAX Pass around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jul 2, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If anything I might round the cap edges. They are sharp, I almost cut my fingers holding it while I was trying to work on those threads.

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Other option if I can get my drill press set up is to oversize the handle hole and put a nylon insert with a 10 - 32 female thread which is what I think that is and see if it will work like a nylon lock washer. My only reservation doing that is it might make it too tight and you have no adjustment at that point. The other option is to do an insert with a smaller diameter before taping the threads.

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That could work. If the handle fails. You can use any standard handle. You will only need to put a hash mark on the handle to see where you are set. A sharpie would work.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

A stiffer spring might also work but I don't know if it will adjust the same or if at all before the handle has the same issue.

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Stiffer spring should help things.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I found what I think should work. Dap tank bond thread stopper tape. Same idea as using teflon tape but is meant for machine screws.

edit: scrap that it is only meant to be used up the 3 times before the tape is no good.

twhite likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One thing I know for sure will work if I can a small enough one is drill a perpendicular hole into the handle and use a set screw or thumb screw to lock it in place. Just a matter of fixing the threads afterwards.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I gave the TARMAX a spin today. Tom only you could get me to shave off a full beard just to test a razor. It has been a few weeks since I've shaved since I am actively rehabilating a torn bicep on the same arm I use to shave. First off this razor is deceptively mild depending the setting. Secondly I used a fresh feather blade for the shave. I did the first pass fully tightened down. Too mild and not enough blade engagement on the face. From there I backed off the handle 1 full revolution from where it bottomed out. Still mild but much better blade engagement on the face. Mild feel but not cut, it bit me good and my face feels the shave still a half hour later. The face feel could also be partly because I haven't been shaving so the skin is not used to any blade on the face. It could also be because it is a Feather blade and fresh one at that. End result it performed with a BBS finish.

On the handle issue, no problems with it wanting to back off but I can see how it can be an issue especially if you are trying to dig this thing into your face to get a better cut.

On the technique, this razor is for all practical purposes a Gem style razor with a DE blade and needs to be shaved as such. Cap almost flat to the face and it works best going across or against the grain.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Edison Carter, IAmTheJody and twhite like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

yes riding the cap is the best angle by far for this razor.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Next day or so I'll post which plate I am using before switching it over.

twhite likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

2nd shave with the razor. I only cranked the handle one half revolution from it being bottomed out. Not as aggressive as turned a full revolution but still enough bite to cause a few small cuts. End result a BBS finish 5 passes later using a Feather blade. I plan to do one more shave with this plate then switch it out with the other plate and another 2 to 3 more shaves on that one before I pass it along.

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

2 observations on the design. The blade likes to stick to the cap which is a good thing and bad thing when trying to remove so shortening the cap ends or grooving them to pop the blade loose easier would help. The other is cap edges and corners are pretty sharp so rounding or doing something to make them less sharp would make it more user friendly.

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just finished another shave with my TARMAX. One hint. Keep that angle. There is a narrow window of optimal shave performance. Close to riding the cap as possible.
    I will keep my opinions to myself about the razor. No undue influence by me if possible.

Dave in KY and Edison Carter like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should be done with the razor sometime before the end of the week and off it goes to the next victim err I mean participant.

twhite and Dave in KY like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Last shave with the larger of the 2 plates. I turned the adjustment 3/4 from where the handle bottoms out this time. For this plate it was the best of the shaves I've gotten. BBS finish with no blood letting after 5 passes. Next shaves will be with the other plate and then off it goes.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Used the smaller of the 2 plates and end result as I suspected the 2nd plate is unnecessary. All it does is change where the lowest setting starts. Once you figure out where the handle needs to be backed off so both plates have the same gap they are the same performance wise. Nothing more for me to evaluate and time to send it off to the next victim err I mean participant which should be @Jayaruh

Jayaruh, Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should add that only applies in the range where both still have the same pressure applied by the spring. I'd also opine the larger of the 2 is probably the one to go with unless you have like peach fuzz type of face hair.

Dave in KY likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Woo-hoo! I'm next.
    woohoo.jpg

twhite and Dave in KY like this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The TARMAX has left the building and it is on it's way to @Jayaruh

Dave in KY, twhite and jmudrick like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

jmudrick and IAmTheJody like this.