Sous Vide???

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Terry, Jul 9, 2021.

1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The fat isn't rendered as well as a traditionally smoked brisket but it's close. Never bothered to check internal temp off the smoker. I put it in an ice bath before putting it on the smoker so I was just reheating it while giving it flavor and color.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

battle.munky and Edison Carter like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looks mighty fine!

70.5 total hours? I would pull my hair out if I had any, if I had to wait 70.5 hours for this!
    :angry032::angry021::rofl:

battle.munky, jluc and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I gotta talk to my brother on this one. He likes sous vide cooking.

jluc likes this.
  4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The first brisket I did was pre-smoked and 36ish hours in the sous vide at 155°. I prefer the 135° longer cook and post smoked. The texture was the same but the 135° brisket was more moist.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

b1hart and Edison Carter like this.
  5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

That is a ridiculously good looking brisket. Someone needs to sneak one into a competition.

jluc and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I must disagree completely! The only way we will be able to determine if it is prize-worthy is if we all get a sample.:cool:

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I agree. We have the Beswood 10" slicer. I wanted to hold out for a 12" used Hobart, but they are just too expensive. The savings vs buying pre-sliced deli meat, means it will pay for itself in about another 3 months.
    Edit: The Beswood offers the best bang for buck value, compared to the other brands out there.

Edison Carter and BBS like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Inject the brisket with liquid before sous vide cooking it at 155 F. Do same as it smokes to keep it moist. I have brisket here that I will try sous vide eventually. It is one cut of meat I normally don't sous vide because I'd rather make corned beef or pastrami out of it.

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not just sous vide cooked roast beefs, they are great for making ham cold cuts. I usually buy around easter when hams are the cheapest like 99 cents a lb or so about 5 or so hams to freeze then debone and glaze them to come out like a sort of honey baked ham and slice those up. Same with 5lb block cheese. I picked up a 5lb block of american cheese on sale recently that worked out to about $3.00 a lb. I agree on the Beswood also. Don't buy a plastic one for $99. Spend the extra once you save up and get an all metal one like a 10 inch Beswood instead. Even if you do have a busy life and work like a dog a little advance planning and some marathon cold cut making sessions on a day off will get you ahead of your expenses fairly quickly. Just the amount of money you save by not paying usually $7 - $10 a day for lunch adds up quickly. You about pay that a week instead of a day if you go through 1 lb of cheese and 1lb of meat and a package of bread. Instead of arguments sake $50 a week on lunch buying fast food or premade sandwichs, now it is $10 a week. Arguments sake you work 50 weeks that is $2000 a year more of your money in your pocket and not someone else's.

Terry, PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Both the 155° and the 135° degree brisket were injected prior to going in the sous vide. I've never injected during the cook.
    When you actually get around to doing one in the sous vide I'd like to hear your results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and BBS like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Another meat that sous vide cooks well and makes for good cold cuts is pork loin. You can also cook pork loin at much lower temperatures as long as you sear it at the end. If you want buttery super moist pork loin you cook it at 131 F. Minimum 1 hour and up to 4 or so hours depending your starting temperature of the meat. That effectively pasteriuzes the meat. Higher the temp the more firm and less juicy the pork becomes unless you inject or brine it first before cooking.

PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Try a salt and sugar water brine then on a small test piece. Also try putting some water in the bag before sealing and if you use a food saver unless you have a high end vacuum sealer hang the bag over the end of the counter when sealing so the liquid has travel upwards. Less chance it will make it into the seal and drip tray that way.

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Doubtful I would do the brine, I do my best to stay away from sugar.
    There was a fair amount of the injection liquid in the bags. Enough so that it took a few tries to get the bag sealed. I double bagged to be for sure.
    You seem to be under the impression that the briskets didn't come out well. Both were some of the best I've had.

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends. If you are a pretentious foodie type then nothing is ever good enough. Fair enough on the sugar only point was it works well as a tenderizer at the same time in conjunction with the salt.

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd also add to this when you cook pork or any meat 140 F or lower 8 hours or longer as sous vide before you cook or store it after vacuum sealing, you want to put the meat in 170 F or higher water for at least 10 seconds. By doing this it will prevent the meat potentially having a bad smell to it after cooking. The reason is unless you cook the meat at 140 F or higher it doesn't kill any lactobacillus that maybe on the surface of the meat. Lactobacillus is not harmful to humans, they are what is used to make things like stinky cheese and sauerkraut and it can impart that same stinky odor to meat if left to do it's thing on the surface of the meat while cooking long and not hot enough.

If you run across this the meat is still safe to eat even if it has that stinky odor to it. Whether you still want to eat it is another issue.

You could pre sear the meat but the issue is the lactobacillus could also be on the surface of the bag which searing won't sterlize.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'll be interested to hear your methods and results should you sous vide a brisket. I'm especially curious about the brining and what adjustments to cooking times you'll need to make.

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Will do if I make a sous vide brisket.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Learned something new today. Usually I do sirloin steaks for 8 hours. You need to cook them a minimum of 24 hours to get a good tender finish. 8 hours you can eat it without issues but it still has some chew to it. I haven't done a london broil yet but I bet 24 hours or longer is needed for that also.

My simple steak recipe I use is I skewer the meat and season either with salt and pepper to tenderize or use something like Adolph's meat tenderizer. Let sit at least 1 hour per inch of thickness. The other tenderizing method I like to use if you want a little tangy taste to the meat is soak it in buttermilk after skewering then season with salt and pepper or Adolphs. In the bag with the steak goes an onion or shallot slice and clove of garlic smashed before vacuum sealing and cooking.

For the buttermilk if you can't get the good stuff you can make your own substitute, it is also referred to as sour or soured milk.

The recipe is really simple, 1 cup whole milk to 1/2 to 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar. Add the milk to the acid, let sit for about 10 minutes stir and wait, it should thicken up and slightly curdle when ready.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    battle.munky and Edison Carter like this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I just put a rack of St. Louis pork ribs in the sous vide. Light coat of yellow mustard and rub applied before vacuum sealing. 145° for the next 36hrs. Sunday morning ice bath then a couple of hours on the smoker for flavor and color. First attempt at pork ribs in the sous vide.

b1hart, battle.munky and Terry like this.
  20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Mustard ribs! Blasphemy!
    :angry032::happy097::happy097:

battle.munky and jluc like this.