Sous Vide???

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Terry, Jul 9, 2021.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

This goes without saying, but we're gonna need pics coming off the smoker in order to believe this. Sounds amazing already!

jluc likes this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Will do. Still thirteen hours in the sous vide then they'll get iced until it's time to put them on the smoker.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Ribs are patted dry and re-rubbed waiting for the smoker to heat up. Yes there's another thin coat of mustard applied. I haven't found anything better for rub adhesion. Just something I picked up from BBQ Pitmasters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Holding solid at 255° and not even a wisp of smoke. Beautiful! [​IMG]

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

And done.
    Near perfect and delicious. Borderline too tender. Nearly fall off the bone and fall off the bone isn't what I'm looking for in a spare rib. Maybe a little less time on the smoker the next go around. Served with fauxtato salad on the side.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing the technique.

battle.munky and jluc like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Bill.

I saw some fellas on YouTube doctor up their store bought BBQ sauce with garlic and lime juice. Made a world of difference in the G. Hughes sugar free sauce. Killed the imitation sugar taste.

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I do like G. Hughes.

Many BBQ sauces are doctoring up something else. I took a class from a guy that was known to win competitions with doctored up Sweet Baby Ray’s.

battle.munky, b1hart and jluc like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Did bacon wrapped filet mignon steaks the other day.

I tenderize the steaks with a skewer and use only salt and pepper to season. Let sit a minimum an hour per inch of thickness of the steak(s) to tenderize further with the salt. Wrap the steaks with 1 to 2 pieces of home made bacon depending the size and tie with cooking twine. I've also done them with a slice of onion in the bag before. Cook at 131 F for 2 hours then remove the bacon and finish the steaks with a pan sear before rewrapping the bacon and eat.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Pork chops at 140° for 3.5 hours from frozen. Cast iron sear. Seasoned with good old salt and pepper.

[​IMG]

11. battle.munky

jluc likes this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

battle.munky likes this.
  13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Beef short ribs from sous vide to smoker...

[​IMG]

14. battle.munky

Oh man...that looks ridiculously good.

IAmTheJody and jluc like this.
  15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

They were wonderful.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Another go at sous vide spare ribs. 36ish hours at 145°, chilled then an hour and a half on the smoker. Perfection!

[​IMG]

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1630282147659.JPEG
    I've had a Sous Vide for a while, but stopped in at Costco today and saw this lovely little thing. The Anova immersion circulator is MSRP 199.99 and the 16L container is another 79.99, they are bundled together at Costco for 199.99 USD. It's a good deal if you are wanting a high quality premium sous vide device and want a dedicated container to use with it.

My other sous vide immersion circulator is made by Instant Pot.

jmudrick, Terry and jluc like this.
  18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Having more than one precision cooker comes in handy. I've had both mine going on several occasions. One doing a long cook while the other is making that nights dinner. I've done steaks at different doneness to please everyone. Today I'm doing chicken breasts and thighs. Breasts at 145° and the thighs at 165°. I bet I could find a use for a third one. Maybe time for a Costco run.

[​IMG]

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Tri-tip in the sous vide at 130° for 5ish hours from frozen. Chilled then smoked for 45 minutes. Quick sear with the Su-V Gun to finish. Fantastic!

[​IMG]

b1hart, PLANofMAN, IAmTheJody and 2 others like this.
  20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

093E2B65-C17D-44F2-AF7B-5345F3F36B0E.gif

Cool cutting board too!