Unicorn Razor Club (URC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Not sure what you're saying Jeff. How will a lot find help the gen 2 (D-J) handle

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hehe it won't, but I'll spend less to get one.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Dave in KY likes this.
  3. Dave in KY

:D

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll opine that the Berkley version of that adjustable is if not a unicorn it is within spitting distance of one.

Dave in KY and jmudrick like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The best design of the earlier Krect razors was probably the second version that had a push button and a latch that kept the razor head from falling off the handle if it came loose. If any Krect razor might be considered a unicorn it is that one.

Dave in KY likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You ain't missing nothing either the ones they made in the late 40s shave nothing like the earlier ones. They are much milder and less efficient.

jmudrick and Dave in KY like this.
  7. Dave in KY

That one's rarer for sure and I know some talk about it but mine holds fine with no shim. LOVE this razor and it's shaves.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    jmudrick and IAmTheJody like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

AFAIK the push button is the third version . Just a few ads for it 1950-51. That would make sense as an improvement over the usual D-J version seen in '47-49. Never seen one

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I've owned a lot of Schick Injectors and only one American made one has eluded me. I'd put this one if not a unicorn it is within spitting distance. I've only seen 2 of them for sale in the past 5 years.

The almost mythical Type G2, the first of the 2 gold plated handle Type G razors.

[​IMG]

The key visual feature on this is the rounded ferrule the spring connects to.

For comparison purposes the more accessible second version aka the Type G3. These qualify as uncommon but nowhere near unicorn status.
    [​IMG]

As you can see the ferrule is squared like what you see on standard Type G injectors.

The other difference is the G2nicorn has a metal handle, only Type G razor that is made that way.

Aztecmike, brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  10. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Awhile back I scored this 1934 Gillette Aristocrat with leather case; both in pristine condition. The razor looked as if it was never used. 03F38A8E-2C59-4931-B436-10BD92D0EB5C.jpeg

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Beautiful! I believe it was the only variant of this Aristocrat model that came in the leather case, it being the very first variant in 1934. The next two variants of this Aristocrat model 36-37 and 37-38 came in the gold metal cases. The razor itself isn't a unicorn but finding the leather case probably could be considered so.

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  12. Angelo85

Thanks.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

Pleasure. It really is a beautiful set. Haven't seen one in that fine of a condition in a long long time. Show set for sure!

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  14. Angelo85

Thank you very much. I bought this from an eBay seller for $250; they originally wanted $450 for it but they accepted my offer.

IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  15. IAmTheJody

Bargain! Theft! Stolen!
    :char039: :p:D

Angelo85 and brit like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This is the first one I've ever seen so I bought because of the price. Is it a true unicorn or not I don't know. Sold in Germany but the instructions are in Italian. It is what I call faux slant since razor head is not a true slant just offset on the handle. Based on the published patent date for this razor wouldn't have been sold earlier than 7/12 1937.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  17. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

A "nearly complete" Bates circa around 1940.

It has the adjustable razor

Bates 06.jpg

The case with the stropper

Bates 03.jpg

And wait there's more - Two (of three) blades, two tins of Thorite stropping paste, Applicator brush and the tube that contains hairs to test the blade sharpness.

Bates 05.jpg

tonich, PLANofMAN, brit and 7 others like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

3 blades for 50¢ and way too much interaction and work just to finally get a shave. Unicorn because they probably only sold 10. :D

Very nice kit for the collection!

The head looks like @twhite 's TARMAX DE.

brit, Clouds and twhite like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yikes! I hope I don’t get taken to court for copyright infringements. I did not mean to do it I swear.

brit, Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. IAmTheJody

Just observing the way it seems to be thin and totally flat. As for a copyright issue, the descendants of the original patent owner probably doesn't even know this thing existed and is at this very moment poking away at their face with a Gillette Fusion 7-blade cartridge razor. :happy102:

brit, Dave in KY and twhite like this.