Gillette Super Stainless vs "Spoilers"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Aug 11, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is a difference between Vintage Gillette Super Stainless blades and the one's marked "Spoiler"? Basically, did Gillette just add the "spoiler" moniker at some part for marketing and they are the same blade? I see some marked as only "Super Stainless" and others marked "Super Stainless Spoiler". Same, or different?

This packaging:

super stainless.jpg

VS this packaging:

spoiler.jpg

Or even cooler, these from Argentina:

argentina super stainless.jpg

So what is the consensus, are they all the same? Thanks!

jimjo1031, Angelo85 and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

the spoiler blades are from the 1970s.they were made from a better quality steel than today's blade.folks say they were cheaper quality once they appeared in the plastic dispensers during the 1980's.i get approx. 10 shaves from a vintage spoiler blade. new gillette russian blades i get approx. 4.

awk-m4, jimjo1031 and Dave in KY like this.
  3. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I own a few Spoiler dispensers and am currently waiting on a box of 5 packs of 5 Gillette Super Stainless blades. The Spoilers I can get 8-10 shaves on one blade; once I get the Gillette SS blades I’ll let you know how they compare.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jay_gatz

So are they essentially the same blade and Gillette added the spoiler starburst at some later date?

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i believe the spoiler logo appeared in the late 60s and was gone by the late 70s.i could be wrong.
    https://mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/Rasierklingen.htm..
    this site shows them in 1975.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jay_gatz

I just went to my "blade storage vault" and realized I have super stainless marked with and without the "spoiler", have used both, and to my face they are the same blades.

jimjo1031, brit and Angelo85 like this.
  7. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I think they are the same blade after using them both. They both give me smooth comfortable shaves.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

jimjo1031, brit and jay_gatz like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That pretty much answers the question, but in case the site goes down and people want to know the answer, they are the same blades.
    Package_edited-2.jpg
    If there are any changes, they happened when production was moved to France in the 80's/90's or later, when it was moved to Argentina. It is very much likely that the equipment being used to make the current blades is the exact same equipment used to make the originals.

brit, jimjo1031 and Angelo85 like this.