TARMAX Injector Pass around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Aug 13, 2021.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

First use, Proline B20. I landed on a half turn from tight as giving enough blade to work with. Great on my beard, not my favored angle as y'all know but easily managed. As expected the head was trickier for me but good results everywhere except the hollow at the base of the skull which is typically a problem for big headed injectors (eg Supply, Schick and Personna adjustables) which limit angle. Still a pretty good result overall. There were pick-ups for the Enders Speed which has a lot more exposure and flexibility with angles. May try a bit more aggressive setting tomorrow. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Second shave, adjusted up one more setting. Really good on the beard, a bit better on my head as well. Still a bit of work in that one trouble spot. Clean ups with the Tatara Nodachi running half blades. MDC .[​IMG]

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Jayaruh, Dave in KY, SlimGem and 2 others like this.
  4. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Sorry. I will fix that now.

Dave in KY likes this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Done!

Dave in KY likes this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I got a bit sidetracked. I will have to send the SE out Monday.

Dave in KY likes this.
  8. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

:happy097:

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Injector is on its way to jimjo. Last shave was super (5 o'clock setting I can't see numbers). :Should arrive Wednesday. Tom add me to the SE pass around.

Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

hins2jw0 and Edison Carter like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Let the masochism err testing begin.

IAmTheJody, Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The Tarmax has landed and just waiting to try it tomorrow.
    IMG_20210830_150514_7.jpg

hins2jw0, IAmTheJody, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    SlimGem, Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Enjoy.

jimjo1031, twhite and IAmTheJody like this.
  15. jimjo1031

Tarmax Adjustable Injector Razor
    Personna PTFE Blade
    Frank Shaving Finest Two Band Badger Brush
    Tabac Shave Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Egyptian Musk
    Tabac After Shave
    Tabac Eau De Cologne

My first shave with this razor went well as I started with the razor at it's mid point on the adjuster, #4. It took a bit to get the right angle, as some areas on my face I kept the head flat and some areas with the head raised a bit. All in all, I got a near BBS shave, which should get better with the next shaves.

Untitled.jpg

SlimGem, IAmTheJody, twhite and 2 others like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you remove the springs you can call them non adjustable adjustable razors. You'd be pioneering new razor territory doing that.

twhite and Edison Carter like this.
  17. jimjo1031

Tarmax Adjustable Injector Razor
    Personna PTFE Blade
    JR #391 Synthetic Brush
    Omega Shaving Cream
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Egyptian Musk
    Aqua Velva Musk After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  18. SlimGem

SlimGem Well-Known Member

The TARMAX SE arrived a day early. Tomorrow will be a fine shave. :)
    TARMAX SE.jpg

19. SlimGem

SlimGem Well-Known Member

After a month of straight shaving, I'm back to SEs. And what a way to start the SE shaves with none other than the TARMAX SE Adjustable by Tom White @twhite.

First, a couple of tips. From Tom's pictures, I knew that the safe thing to do was to disassemble and assemble the razor on a towel, and away from the sink. That spring is tiny. Also, when shaving, be mindful that the blade corners are exposed.

Now, the razor. This is a GEM-style razor that clamps the blade with a method similar to the Blackland Sabre. The base plate is stationary, and the spring-loaded mechanism gives the blade clamp an adjustable range of almost one millimeter with one full turn of the handle. With that much range, one can go from fairly mild to crazy aggressive. The handle is nicely proportioned for the overall size of the razor, and the angles with sharp corners compliment the head design quite well. The knurling on the handle is very grippy without the rough feel or sharp points. I found the grip very secure, and the tapered tail provides a comfortable resting point for the little finger. The cap is thin and flat allowing for a very shallow angle and doesn't drag lather or skin. The safety bar is not too far forward and therefore allows a steeper angle under the nose. And yes, as you can see from the picture, the blade is perpendicular to the handle. For me, the angle adjustment was simple. Usual grip, but raise the elbow.

On to the shave. I just love the scent of Santal Absolut. It lathers well and for me, it's a soap that works well with synthetic knots also. My favorite synthetic brush is the #375 by @Jayaruh . And so, with a couple of my favorites and a good lather, I'm on to the first pass. With a new Personna GEM PTFE stainless blade and the TARMAX SE set to #5 (half turn), the first pass was a breeze. Good blade-feel but not threatening at all. I was being careful not to put too much pressure on the face and just let the blade do the work. I felt the blade corners a couple of times but nothing to worry about. The second pass was more about enjoying the razor, and the third pass became touch-ups. I finished up with Santal Absolut's aftershave. I think on next shave I will set the razor at #3 and go from there. At #5 the blade takes over the razor a bit, (if that makes any sense). The TARMAX SE is a solid performer for sure. The handle stayed on the set number and it was easy to maneuver. No problems under the nose. This is one well-crafted razor. Can't wait for the next shave.

This was quite a neat experience. Tom White obviously has a gift for making these wonderful tools. There is a sense of appreciation when one uses a razor that is handmade, is one of a kind, and may never get to see again. Well done, Mr. White.

TARMAX SEa.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you for the kind words and awesome review. Hope the rest of the shaves get even more enjoyable.

SlimGem likes this.