Fun with Rubber Bands

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

First, a little background. Some of you may know that my husband has many years of military experience. Consequently there have been many conversations about weapons. So we decided, a while ago, to go to a range in PA (very nice & safe and only an hour’s drive) to take a handgun safety class.

He has a vast knowledge of this but believes that it is always good to keep your knowledge fresh. In the course, you get to try a few different types of .22 caliber pistols. I found that I rather liked the target pistols. So since then, we have gone a couple of times, rented pistols (I stick with the target style) and had some target practice.

Now for the part about the rubber bands. A trip to the gun range gets costly, between range time, gun rentals & ammunition. So I thought about how to stay in practice between visits. Toward that end, I got a wooden rubber-band shooting pistol & target.

C8C87144-E3B4-4787-AB72-1622F559F04C.jpeg

It’s surprisingly helpful in practicing fundamentals such as stance, use of the sight and trigger squeeze. It has the added benefit of looking nothing like a real gun. It’s also fun. The Hubby & I spent much of yesterday afternoon shooting with it. Of course he outshot me, but also helped me with form.

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Is it a 6 shot?

brit likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Theoretically it can take 12. But after 6 it gets too hard to load more. So for all practical purposes, yes it’s a 6-shooter.

brit, cliffb599 and twhite like this.
  4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun. My Grandkids would get a lot of use with that.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody, brit and Sara-s like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@cliffb599 it may well be. But even with rubber bands, there are some safety issues. They should wear some kind of eye protection. If they wear glasses, that is fine. If not, they should be using safety glasses. Kid-sized ones do exist.

cliffb599 likes this.
  6. cliffb599

Yea thanks. Like u when my Grandkids are not at the Range with me they can Practice with the rubber band gun.
    Me also the big Kid.

Sara-s likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It’s a lot of fun, but it is also a useful practice tool.

cliffb599 likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"You'll shoot your eye out."

9. cliffb599

As Long as it’s Not With an Arrow.

richgem and Sara-s like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No, that requires a rubber-band rifle.

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've seen them for sale. These days I use air soft pistols that are replicas of actual handguns. Spring powered ones are ok, but CO2 ones replicate the actions of handguns. And I have a couple that cannot be used for air soft games because they are pretty powerful, especially using 6mm metal BB's.

PLANofMAN, twhite and cliffb599 like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think those aren't legal in NY. In any case, I couldn't use it to practice in the house as I lack a basement or garage, where it might be done safely. Though I imagine they could be enjoyable for target shooting.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    cliffb599 likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have an all metal KWA M9 replica airsoft pistol. Runs on lubricated propane. Feels and looks just like the real thing.

It's useful for breaking up cat fights at 3 in the morning too.

jimjo1031 and cliffb599 like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I was just spending some time practicing. I am getting better at it. But I’m not sure what’s harder; hitting my target or finding all the rubber bands afterward. :)

cliffb599 likes this.
  15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Interesting idea.
    For rifles I do a lot of dry fire practice. And there are various (and expensive) infrared target practice systems on the market. But I think your rubber band gun looks just as effective and a lot more fun.

Plus, you can play this while you do it.

Paul Turner and Sara-s like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@BigMike I guess I'm a "Rubber band woman"!
    I did consider some of those infrared practice guns. But they are much more expensive and don't give the feel of launching a projectile. Also, they look like real guns. I really didn't want any kind of weapon that isn't a real gun but looks like one.
    I can practice outside, if I want, and my neighbors will just see me playing with a toy.

BigMike likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I did a little modification. Using my wood burning tool, I added some texture to the grip & a monogram on the side.
    7AB6556D-412A-48DF-80EE-56B18D04FE0F.jpeg

IAmTheJody, PLANofMAN and richgem like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

That :git:!

Sara-s likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Do we see a new Olympic sport on the way here?

Sara-s likes this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think it would be a great Olympic sport. There could be rubber band pistol and rubber band rifle divisions.

IAmTheJody likes this.