Leaves and twigs??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Aug 28, 2021.

?

I own a leaf or twig razor and...

1. It's better than ice cream.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. it's better than cookies and ice cream.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It makes me feel like dancing (naked in the rain)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. It's ok but nothing to write home about.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. another stupid razor buy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm ok with it but my other 3 personalities are on the fence.

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm certainly not offended. Third beer .

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Dave in KY and Terry like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Leaf with three blades is more efficient than the Thorn which is more efficient than the Twig

Dave in KY and Terry like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good man!!!!
    I'll drink to that!
    Thanks

tp

Dave in KY and jmudrick like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Leaf it is!

Thanks a bunch.

tp

Dave in KY and jmudrick like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

FB_IMG_1626074363536.jpg

Does your insurance cove this.
    Better check.
    In case of uh, emergencies.

tp

6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

@jmudrick hey Jeff, i was thinking about the leaf for my wife. She didnt care for the DE razors for shaving with. So do u think that the leaf is similar to using a disposable/cartridge razor?

Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't own one of these, as I backed out of the initial Kickstarter. But, I have kept an eye on them and have followed the brand, just to stay informed.

The Leaf is one of those rare razors that innovates beyond the tried and true. It can hold three half DE blades, but most users opt for two at a time, I believe. I don’t recall which direction is more aggressive, but loading two in the front positions will give you a different shave than loading two in the rear positions.

I passed on them because I generally avoid Zamak razors. I have seldom, if ever heard anything negative about the Leaf or twig, and there are two groups of people who really seem to enjoy it and prefer it over any other razor. Leg shavers and head shavers. ...And anyone else who likes the feel of a cartridge shave.

It is a cartridge razor experience that uses your favorite DE blades. The combination of blade choice and user adjustable experience, means most people who try them can find a setup they like, whether they go with one blade, two, or three.

oscar11, Ron R, IAmTheJody and 2 others like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Got room for others under there?

swarden43 and Terry like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The pivot, three blades, and relative safety make it feel like a big cartridge razor, yes. I don't particularly like that feel but it does deliver.

madmark, Ron R, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I have and enjoy the Twig. It's a good razor but not perfect.
    The best way to view it is as an injector razor with an incredibly large choice of blades.
    If you look at both the Twig and a Schick injector in profile, they're very much alike.
    Same shaving angle so if you like an injector you'll probably like the Twig.
    The biggest negative I can see is that it's made from zamak and therefore fragile.

Aztecmike, Ron R and Terry like this.
  11. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Like you I'm a head shaver and in an effort to cut down on costs I've just recently started to shave with the same blade twice. I'm wondering how many uses you get out of a DE blade (particularly the Feathers)

Paul D

Lancre and Terry like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

One.

tp

awk-m4 likes this.
  13. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I'm not a head shaver, so take my $0.02 with a shaker of salt.

I get 5-10 3-pass shaves per edge, or 10-20 per blade. It varies with the brand, with Feathers being at the short end of the range.
    If you assume that one head shave equals 3 face/neck shaves, then roughly 3-5 shaves per blade for head shaves would be a reasonable estimate.

But everyone's different. You have to go with what your skin/scalp tell you.

awk-m4 and Terry like this.
  14. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your insight. I'm feeling comfortable using blades twice and I'm going to add a third shave. This morning was my second shave with a Nacet and I feel like that blade still had more in the tank. I'm trying a new blade tomorrow (Gillette Yellow) so we'll see how the first shave feels and I'll take it from there.

15. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I have shaved the dome for many years with cartridges before discovering traditional shaving last year. The Henson immediately became my go-to head shaving tool. It was able to get the back fringe BBS effortlessly, something even the cartridges could not do. I recently acquired a Leaf "for my wife." I have used it 3 times for a head shave, and hoo boy, the efficiency is wonderful. It is much more intuitive to use than I expected. One quick pass plus a bit of touch up, ending in a perfect shave. It handles the contours of the dome in a way traditional DEs cannot.

I have not used it on the face. It seems too big to use comfortably for face shaving.

Well, my wife actually really enjoys it. I am very happy that she is "converted." However, switching out the 3 blades and storing them between uses is too much trouble for my lazy self to keep up with, so I am on the lookout for a gently used Leaf for myself.

awk-m4 and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

I do not buy zamak razors. Period. BUT, I made an exception for the Twig. I've always wanted a good SE that takes 1/2 DE blades and it got good reviews. It has a lifetime warranty and their support is excellent. *IF* I have issues with it, I have no doubt they will take care of me.

I'm REALLY glad I got it. It gives a very good shave, and is the only razor I own where I think "The Twig would be the best razor for today's shave based on growth." Every other razor I have gets put in rotation simply because I haven't used it lately. But the Twig has a specific purpose in my lineup. I didn't expect that.

jwr3265 likes this.
  17. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I really like mine as well, and used it just this morning. And it does have a lifetime warranty for defects.
    Somehow though, I don't think Leaf would be too understanding if I dropped it and it failed to survive a five foot fall to a tile floor. That would be my fault, not theirs. It's how my first DE (Merkur 23C) died, about 2 months after my wife gave it to me as a birthday gift.

18. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Good point and you're probably right. The design seems prone to breakage with the fat heavy bottom and the thin neck and seemingly fragile TTO mechanism. One drop from counter height on a hard floor would probably render it useless immediately. I kick myself for not jumping on the original Rocnel one piece SE that took half DE blades. The price was a steal.

:(

That truly sucks. Sorry to hear that.

19. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Lancre said:
    I really like mine as well, and used it just this morning. And it does have a lifetime warranty for defects.
    Somehow though, I don't think Leaf would be too understanding if I dropped it and it failed to survive a five foot fall to a tile floor. That would be my fault, not theirs. It's how my first DE (Merkur 23C) died, about 2 months after my wife gave it to me as a birthday gift.

It could have been worse. At least I have since discovered that Merkur sells replacement caps (the post broke off) so with a 3-piece it's replaceable. Most inexpensive razors are zamak.

Ron R and Hembree like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that they are coming out with a Stainless steel model in the future possibly this summer. Not sure what model it will be!

Lancre likes this.