Yaqi Single Edge AC style

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ischiapp, Nov 26, 2020.

1. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Got a link?

Hembree likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

3. jaro

4. jaro

Yaqi contacted me and supposedly my replacement razor is on the way to me... We shall see..

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The aluminum version is still available if interested. Good to hear they will replace your razor.

6. jaro

Thanks. Yes I hope they sent it.. They supposedly sent it before the sale started...I guess we shall see... I will post if I get it..

7. jaro

Okay so it looks like they only put a certain amount available in the flash sale. After the sale they put more online so there are more available but they are at regular price..
    Aluminum are 19.24 and Chrome are 27.28....

8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

My version 2 (V2)Excalibur just arrived in the mail and so I did a comparison of the 2 heads.
    Version #1 Excalibur was OK for myself and had a good fitting parts both top & bottom plates and could always crank out a good DFS++ shave range with a new blade. No serious alignment issues, but not perfect as a CNC machined part.
    Version #2(V2) Excalibur I noticed more clearances on the blade keepers that hold the blade together on my model they sent, the top cap looks a little cleaner and does not have the two cuts beside the thread.
    The main hole in the base plate has been slightly in largened for easier assembly where the stem of top cap goes through. What you get with this new head design is the operator fine tunes the blade & top cap position to the front edge of safety bar and then clamps the head tight with the handle with my latest version (V2). So it takes about 45 seconds to install blade & to do the alignment and if not perfect it is more a operator error of judgement IMO.

Yaqi Excalibur final eyeing in alignment of blade in about 45 seconds & cap tightened..jpg (click on picture to enlarge) This is my alignment for the shave this morning.
    I have a few razors that need a blade tweak before final tightening of handle and is not a problem.
    As for shave this morning it was a good one with a BBs and enjoyable, the razor where I set the blade is more mid range and so slightly more blade feel than Excalibur V1 but still testing a little. Looks and feels similar to the V1 for finish, I did measure some of the head parts assembled with my Vernier caliper and they are close to same thickness.
    So my conclusion on first shave it will perform well but it is not the precision of CNC Stainless steel razor but it is good enough for this Northern Canuck.
    Yaqi also sells just the head for the Excalibur in Chrome for matte finish.
    Yaqi excailbur comparison V1 to V2 (3).jpg
    SOTD,  Sep 28th 2021.jpg (Click to enlarge) First shave with the Excalibur V2.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    jaro likes this.
  9. jaro

I'm still waiting on mine to arrive. Last notification I got said........
    Departure from Regional Sorting Center
    Sep 08 2021 06:11 pm
    · BeijingCity

So I still have Never been able to try one of these razors in almost a YEAR wait for them to send me one !!!!!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I saw a news report this weekend about there are many cargo ships just anchored off the ports of California and New York because they don't have enough port workers to unload them. And also once they do get unloaded, there is a shortage of customs employees. I have 2 Yaqi brushes that I ordered over a month ago, on August 23, just sitting out there on one of those ships.

11. jaro

yeah it stinks but some of it must be getting done if Ron R got his...

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

It is the airmail system usually but on the line mail side of airmail I'm thinking because that system is cheaper I believe, I have bought some things that come that way through Aliexpress. Hope you see it soon.

jaro likes this.
  13. jaro

Thanks.. I'm just being patient, right , I mean what's another month or 2 after it already being a year long wait !!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD SEptember 29th 2021

Razor: Yaqi AC 50mm Excalibur V2, Mfg 2021> mid range, very comfortable shave, some blade self alignment possibly needed, great little inexpensive razor and great comfortable post shave feel IMO.
    Blade: Feather Professional AC 50 mm (2), Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Viper 24mm boar- excellent lather generator, soft bristle split end tips, nice scrubber + good lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel skin cleaning + Nivea Refreshing AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( excellent + scentless)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 weeper= [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Yaqi excalibur V2 + a Feather Pro blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Hembree likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Oct 1st 2021

Razor: Yaqi V2 Excalibur, AC 50mm- Mfg 2021, nice mid range, easy to find sweet spot, good design, easy to self align blade. For safety and ease of assembling the Excalibur with a blade I place a a face wash cloth on the counter top and it makes it a lot easier to assemble and disassemble these small parts with my big fingers IMO.
    Blade: Feather Professional (3) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. AC 50mm Blades are pricier than Gem SS PTFE blades per shave.
    Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum, (old version) nice mild scented Bayrum with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24 mm Timberwolf whiskers, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub, great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. Skin enjoys cold water rinses, it seems to calm the skin IMO.
    Post shave: Witch hazel skin cleansing + Ogallala Bayrum with Sandalwood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( great stuff + scentless.)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + blemish weeper = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Yaqi V2 Excalibur with a Feather Pro.
    Yaqi Excalibur assembly and disasembly of small parts using wash cloth..jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Herm2502 and Hembree like this.
  16. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Hembree likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Yaqi has them on sale now on their site on Aliexpress for around $73 US, tempting but I'll wait for a sale before pulling any buy triggers.

Hembree likes this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

19. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

New design (Gemini) vs old design (Excalibur)
    [​IMG]

Hembree likes this.
  20. jaro

Well just an update from my last post about waiting on Yaqi to ship mine from 2021....
    I STILL NEVER got it and I have been back in touch with Yaqi concerning this and guess what?? Now they say they can NOT find Any info about my previous query or orders or Anything !!!! So it looks like I got SCAMMED by someone at Yaqi !! Oh and I was supposed to get one of the Yaqi The Final Cut razors too and they can NOT find ANY info about that either !! So now I am out of getting to try 2 different razors from YAQI !!! This is such a bad way to run a Business !! I guess I should have known better than to deal with China .. I have now had problems dealing with China AND India !! I am running out of places to buy from that want to be honest !! The bad thing is I Really , Really wanted to try out those razors... Oh well , I guess we live and learn.....

Ron R likes this.