Henson Shaving AL13

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ischiapp, Sep 12, 2020.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

First use of the Henson (M). I swapped the too long for me handle for the more comfortable Lupo (?). Face shave with second use BIC felt a bit rough, switched out for a Feather head shave which was excellent, single lather ATG and pickups. I'd say keeper. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

awk-m4 likes this.
  2. italianbreadman

italianbreadman New Member

So this razor seems to be mild, even in its "medium" form from all I've read, with the most unusual part of it coming from the steeper shave angle ostensibly due to the way the head curves the blade downward. But how mild exactly are they? I only really have one good frame of reference, so I ask this:

Those who have used both/all three, how do the AL13 models compare to the classic Edwin Jagger DE89, aka the mildest razor I own and have used?

3. mark771119

mark771119 New Member

I've had my Medium version for 4 days. Used it everyday since I got it. I really want to like it. Yeah it's light but that's something I can get used to. It's very well built, no doubt.
    But my last 4 shaves have been pretty bad actually. Removing stubble is possible if I go over areas multiple times. I try not to add much pressure. Any less pressure and the razor starts skipping.
    I've not had razor burn or irritation in ages, but that's exactly what I got from using this razor.
    I shave after a long warm shower. I use good soaps like MWF and Stirling. I tried Astra SP, Lab Blue, Voskhod blades. None seem to work.
    During yesterday's shave I had to stop and load my Voskhod into my 34C and the difference was like night and day.
    I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing anything wrong. Or if this razor is actually meant for me.
    Any advice would be very welcomed. [​IMG]

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

4. italianbreadman

italianbreadman New Member

Hey, I actually ended up getting a mild, and have been shocked by how good it is. It’s not the exact same razor, I assume, but maybe the technique is the same. The fact that you have to apply extra pressure COULD be that you have the wrong angle and the blade isn’t gliding along your skin correctly.

So in order to get the correct blade angle I have to hold the Henson with its handle more parallel to my skin. You know the angle of literally every other razor—they’re all very similar with minor variance—well start there and then reduce the angle of the handle toward your face. (Which is the same as making the head of the razor more perpendicular to your face.) This is necessary because of the way the razor bends the blade steeply downward at the edges.

If you’ve already got the angle correct, I’ve got no other advice. I hope that’s it.

awk-m4 and mark771119 like this.
  5. mark771119

mark771119 New Member

Thanks @italianbreadman

Took your advise and paid close attention to the angle as well as maintaining very light pressure. The shave went pretty well actually. A huge difference from the last 3 shaves. I think a couple more shaves with my Henson and it'll be really great.
    I've been wet shaving for over 20 years and have many razors and shave gear. Not a single nick or any irritation in years. Just when I thought I had everything covered, I realize there's more to learn. I don't love my Henson yet, but it might well turn out to be a keeper.
    Thanks and have a good day.

awk-m4 and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

If you want a little more blade feel you could use a Kai SS which is wider than a Gillette standard Astra SP by 9/1000thousands of a inch (.228mm) or 4.5/1000 of a inch per side(.114mm), that is a lot of blades feel. I like to have a tuck or 2 for milder razors. YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide.jpg

7. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

The Henson is an excellent razor all way round.

awk-m4 and mark771119 like this.
  8. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I’m so impressed that I ordered a second Henson AL13 for my semi truck and a third one for my wife. Then I just bought a used TI22 today.
    90516809-5492-4277-83DF-736133E48139.jpeg

awk-m4, mark771119 and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. mark771119

mark771119 New Member

Are u using the mild or medium version. If both, any difference in terms of the overall shave?

10. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

So far, just the mild.

mark771119 likes this.
  11. mark771119

mark771119 New Member

I swapped my Medium for the Mild and it's just fantastic. Literally no blade feel, but it's more efficient than a Merkur 34C. I really love my Henson. It has become my go-to daily shaver. [​IMG]

12. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Today I had my first ever Face and Head shave with the Henson AL 13 Mild. I had my doubts with the small blade gap but the results just blew me away! Ridiculously good!
    This one's a keeper for sure!
    IMG_7825.jpg

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

For those who know the Gillette Trac II (G2) razor ... does this razor shave comparable?

14. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Trac II but from my experience the Mach III which was the last cartridge razor I used before moving to the DE world. DE shaving took me a lot of time and practice to get close to the performance of the Mach III. Truth is that the Mach III shaves were always a fraction closer....until today. The Henson performed unbelievably well!
    Paul D

15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

MoAllen and awk-m4 like this.
  16. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Waiting for a stainless model myself.

17. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

An absolutely fantastic shave today!
    Razor: Henson Ti22 V2 +
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
    IMG_2268.jpg

MoAllen and ischiapp like this.
  18. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I find the Lupo handle too slippery, and the Henson nice and grippy.

I have the Henson Medium from about 2 years ago. I have used it off and on, but frankly not that much. I have always gotten a good shave with it, but last week it gave me one of the worst cuts I've ever gotten while shaving. Right on the chin, with blood dripping down my neck for the rest of the shave.

19. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I was looking at prices on eBay today of Hensons, and I was a bit confused why someone was selling the AL13 version for well over $100. It was not the aggressive version, which I know is rare in aluminum. (Someone was selling the Al13 in aggressive for big bucks.)

It also appears that Japanses sellers have some sort of exclusive version that they are selling for big bucks.

Another thing I'm curious about: enthusiasts (not Henson) give the suffixes +, ++, and +++ to distinguish among Mild, Medium, and Aggressive.
    (The only aggressive model available right now is in Titanium, which goes for big bucks.) To me, the nicknames should rather be AL13, AL13+, and AL13++.
    Everytime I see AL13+, I think it's the medium, but it's the mild. To me, '+' strongly implies something greater than the standard model.

And...is the Titanium version really that much better than the aluminum version in terms of the shave?

What's your opinion? We'd like to know.
    hughes.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    SterFry and chazt like this.
  20. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Henson does distinguish the mild +, medium ++, and aggressive +++ on both the top cap and baseplate. Here is a photo of my AL13 aggressive

upload_2023-9-21_4-59-18.png

Paul