The Gem Didn't Do it For Me

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Sep 4, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

All I will add to this is regardless of the Gem razor if you are curious about using a standard box cutter blade in one, don't unless you are a masochist.

jay_gatz likes this.
  2. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I had the same one in my watch list and was having the same internal debate. I then saw the exact same thing for sale for $25 but then realized it did not have the blade Bank like the one you and I were watching. We both snoozed too long LOL

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

But the blade pack was gone in that one that was cheaper.

IAmTheJody and Aztecmike like this.
  4. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Ok. I feel better now. Thanks :)

IAmTheJody and Dave in KY like this.
  5. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I now have the other two Gems in the nest, so I will be sticking with it to see if it is just a muscle memory thing. Looking forward to trying the Clog Pruf as well as the "Guiding Eye" Bullet tip. Oh, and the Shovel Head. That's three.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Staying tuned especially for the Clog Pruf. Take your time with it and find the angle. You will know it when you do. And I'm almost sure you will fall in love with that razor.

jimjo1031 and jay_gatz like this.
  7. IAmTheJody

Hrmmm...

Screenshot_20210913-180643_resize_9.jpg

Dave in KY, Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have a similar complete set. It doesn't say "Gold Plated", but the razor is gold plated, and pretty near NOS. Seems like it was put away after opening the box. Maybe an early version made before "Gold Plated" was added to the box and using up old stock boxes before the new ones.................
    IMG_20210913_193949_6_2.jpg

Enrico and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. IAmTheJody

Sweet set with the baton handle too! How does it shave? Or if you haven't shaved with that one, have you shaved with any Gem Junior before? I haven't so I am curious what people think about how they shave. I have used a Gem Junior Bar before but not a Gem Junior.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

I have a couple different versions, and they shave nice. The thicker baton handle helps with grip and with a hollow handle, it should be able to add weight to it, but not this one. It's going to stay original, maybe another one..............

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's a later version the 1912. Not a bad shaver, but not my favorite blade holder.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. IAmTheJody

I always thought I'd interesting the Gem Junior came with that baton handle or the .... I don't even know how to explain the metal handle because it's not perfectly round and it's not perfectly square... lol Still, very interesting. Like the Gem Junior Bar came with a metal handle or wood handle.

13. IAmTheJody

Dale, is it Milder or More Aggressive than the MMOC and/or Clog Pruf?

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't really remember. Mine came with a lot of razors I picked up some years ago. I never really use it, but never felt the need to move it along either. Its not a bad shaver, but there are just razors I prefer to use instead of it.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

Just my opinion, but I think the Junior is slightly more aggressive than the Clog Pruf. And less aggressive than the MMOC.

IAmTheJody and PanChango like this.
  16. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I gave the Shovel Head a test run tonight. Uhhhh, WAY more aggressive than the pushbutton. Got a few weepers, and I am still feeling the tingle 15 minutes post shave right about now. Brand new blade, had the same harshness that the first blade I tried in the pushbutton had. Does anyone know if these single edge blades mellow with a bit of use? I debated a new blade or moving the one from the pushbutton over to the Shovel Head, but went with the new razor/new blade idea. The shovel head seemed to have less audio feedback than the pushbutton, but clearly was mowing down whiskers. Did WTG, XTG, and ATG. The last pass was the one that got me. You definitely need a light hand with this one.

17. IAmTheJody

One thing I have learned in my new foray into SE razors, is "less pressure" and "less speed", sometimes even negative pressure depending on the razor and fresh blade or not.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i will be totally honest.after using gem style blades for 30+ years in the auto industry for various applications i found it hard to adapt a shave regimen with them.no matter how original they were in the grand scheme of things..;).my most sincerest apologies..:).they also lack the choices available compared to other blade types no matter how important that is as well.:) however..gem style razors are some of the most beautiful looking by design...:)

Enrico likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm ...I never thought to let Gem association with your auto industry impair my decision-making about razor choice...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

brit, Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  20. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

GEM SE razors are no fun at all for an unskilled, inept user who has the attention span of a goldfish.
    They didn't work well for me, either.
    ;-)
    - Bax

brit, Dave in KY and twhite like this.