Idiots with Cell Phones

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Sep 20, 2021.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This is a little rant about all the people who cannot put down their Cell Phones. Feel free to give some examples.

1. If driving a car, Stop Texting, Checking Messages, or Surfing the Internet. It is getting ridiculous with this. I almost get hit daily, by idiots swerving into my lane, while looking at their phones.
    2. Put the phone away, during church services. If the Almighty Phone is more important than Jesus, or God, then why the hell are you even at church.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As a pastor, a little slack to those who may have their phone out during church. Www.biblegateway.com has a plethora of Bible versions. We have people who would rather carry their Bible in a phone. Also can make for quicker access to passages when I encourage, "Please turn in your Bible to..." I know many also use their phone to take notes.
    Granted, there are some who are paying no attention to what I'm saying and using their phone for their own distraction, but those folks wouldn't be paying attention even without the phone.

By the way, biblegateway.com has ways to add your own notes and tie them to scripture passages right there on the site.

3. DaltonGang

I understand those who use their phone as bibles, but when they are in front of you, and you can see them scrolling through text messages, non-stop, and watching Tik-Tok videos, no excuse for that.
    My issue is that they are a major distraction, for those who are there for the message. I somewhat blame the Pastors, for not having the guts to tell people to stop playing on their cell phones, during services. Many people feel the same, and it makes service less enjoyable. I know nobody wants to offend the users of these cell phones, but, enough is enough.

4. swarden43

@DaltonGang I hear ya. But I'm not down in the congregation looking over their shoulder to see exactly what they're doing. And if I am in the congregation, why would I pay more attention to the guy on the phone than the man in the pulpit?

As long as their is no sound, if others are getting distracted by what others around them are doing, then nobody is paying attention. Bottom line, it's between them and God. As long as I can't hear their phones, I'm going to put my focus on God, not the guy next to me with the phone.

I can't let the ignorance of other "idiots" change my focus. If I do, the enemy has won.

Hembree, jgreenepa and Enrico like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Idealistic thoughts, yes. But, in reality, those of us in the congregation, in a dimly lit room, trying to watch the pastor, as bright cell phones are right in front of us, well, that is our reality, and it is not fair to us. The selfish needs of the few, shouldnt be catered to, and tolerated.
    It's easily solved, ask people to put away cell phones during service. If not, expect to lose live members each week. I can learn more, by reading the Bible at home, than watching some millennial play on his phone, during service. It is on the leaders of the church to lead their congregation, in the right direction, not let them go down the wrong direction.

Hembree, jgreenepa and Enrico like this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

My gripes about people using cell phones at inappropriate times mostly revolves around restaurants and stores.

When I am sitting there trying to enjoy my meal, I don't want to hear your phone conversation. Go to the bathroom or take it outside. Even worse is when the offender puts their call on speaker phone and everyone in the restaurant can hear both sides of the conversation.

When you are standing in line trying to buy something, pay for gas, etc. stop talking on the phone. I don't want to hear your phone conversation and you are holding everyone up and it's disrespectful to the cashier trying to check you out.

Hembree, richgem, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've literally leaded over to the teen or the adult in front of me and said as nice as possible "That's distracting; please turn it off or take it to the rear of the church".

I've also had it where two or three pre-teens are horsing around and after 5-10 min I tap them on the shoulder and in a firm deep voice say "STOP". Amazingly they're very well behaved after that.

:eatdrink013:

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

When we had to go to church as a kid, I spent my time reading the Bible verses backwards, or counting how many consonants there were in the text, and which ones occurred most. Or several other "games" I could think of with the text. Maybe the Bible was my inspiration to get into cryptography? ;)

But I wouldn't have dreamt of using my cell phone (which didn't exist then, by the way). Much too obvious, and woe me if it hadn't been on silent accidentally! :p

Hembree, Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  9. DaltonGang

One time, in church, there was a woman, probably around 65 yrs old. She was two seats over from me. She was busy texting and laughing at the texts, for about 20 minutes. I had enough, and quietly passed her a note that politely said: "please refrain from texting, during services, it is very disruptive to others". She became unglued, and started fussing at me loudly. How dare anyone tell her what to do. Her husband sat quietly while she was going crazy. We had to move, to get away from her. Several times after that day, when she saw me, she wou!d mumble something, and look angry.
    What is with some people, and their cell phones?

Hembree and Enrico like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Almost daily, at work, I see people running into the back of other drivers with their cars. Many admit to being on the phone, others just lie, and say they weren't paying attention. Some have to be told to put the phone down, while talking to me.

Hembree likes this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

If I’m in a public restroom and someone is on their phone I always attempt to make loud noises that give away their location.

12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’m also increasingly concerned that if I ever need emergency medical assistance that no one would be able to stop filming the scene long enough to render aid.

Hembree, richgem and DaltonGang like this.
  13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Yep, I have taken to using a Bible app. It makes it easier when the pastor goes through multiple sections of scripture, which I hate. I like expository preaching, not flipping through pages.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.
  14. swarden43

What blows my mind is that not only are they carrying on a conversation in a public restroom, they're on speaker phone!! The problem with idiots is they don't know they are idiots.

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

M'n neef* is cryptografisch technicus met US Navy. Maar 'ie mag erover niet praten. Of zo zegt hij. ;)

* De zoon van mijn zusje.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Hembree and Eeyore like this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Definitely agree with a lot of what has been said but the one that really blows my mind is when two people are on a date and are texting each other at the same table.

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Neef is the correct word indeed! (nephew).

Hembree and richgem like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have my hands full trying to control my own idiocy. :)

+1 on the usefulness of the Bible Gateway app. It's a great tool to study God's Word.

Hembree, lightcs1776 and Enrico like this.
  19. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

You did he proper thing which was not to escalate further. Good for you, really.

On the other hand, you could have just rearranged where you sat in the pew to sit next to her and fart silently . When someone turns around, point to her. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hembree and DaltonGang like this.
  20. DaltonGang

"Turn my other Cheek"??
    Nice thought, but it was church, and I was there with the family.

Hembree and Enrico like this.