Schick injector blade longevity

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I shave with a vintage Schick Type G. One of the best razors ever invented IMO. I would like to know from other users how many shaves you get from a blade. I generally change my blade every 10 days. I have started a trial to see how many shaves beyond my usual 10 before I need to change.

Ron R, brit and cliffb599 like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Really depends, to me, on the blade.

Chinese Schick, about 5 comfortable shaves after the first shave, so a total of 6. That first one is always a rough one. Which is why I don't use these anymore.

Personna "med lab", about 8.

Vintage Schick Krona and Personna 74, about 15.

Looking forward to trying out the much loved 1980s Dutch Schick blades as a pack was PIFed to me recently by @jay_gatz .

brit likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It will depend how aggressive the razor is and inital blade sharpness out of the key. If the razor is sufficiently aggressive and/ or efficient which a Type G is then for modern blades Personna or Schick I'll get about 10 good shaves from a blade but can get as many as 15. After 10 to 11 shaves though the blades start dropping off appreciably for me. Something too mild like the Parker V1 injector about 7 shaves when set wide open with a Schick blade and 0 good shaves with a Personna no matter what setting.

Keep mind a shave for me is 5 passes and only face shaving. If you head shave you'll probably get less shaves out of a blade and if you do less passes you may get more.

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For the Schick II twin blades as long as it is in the right razor that works well with them like a Type N or Schick adjustable made 73 or later I can get anywhere between 22 - 25 5 pass face shaves out of a blade. The only kniggit to this is you need to shave daily with these blades or they will clog easily and have trouble cutting. In that case you need to use something else to remove the excess hair length to make it manageable first.

Ky K and brit like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend if your Type G isn't a Canadian one that you find and try one of those if you think American Type G injectors are good. The Canadian Type G razors are in my opinion one of tbe best injectors Schick ever made that I've used.

Here is what they look like
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

There is also a chrome head and black handle variant of this razor that looks identical to an American Schick 66 Type G razor.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Ron R and brit like this.
  6. Rusty blade

I should note, I use the Chinese made injector blades. I will keep you updated on how many shave I get from this blade challenge.

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Chicks - at least 8 and as many as 12

Personna - a few less. Always less than 10

vintage Schicks - 5 to 7 or so. I have several varieties but haven’t noticed a huge difference

Ted Pella and EMS are two of the latest brands I’ve picked up so not enough runs yet to say anything.

Schick Proline - probably close to Chicks

Personna 74 - upwards of 20. I lost count on one I had in my Floating Head one time that I was pretty sure got past 20.

brit and Ron R like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I would say you picked a good reference of 10 shaves. When I started first using my Schick blades in my E2 I would do a average to find my sweet spot for # of shaves per blade. It seem to get 8-12 shaves and I determined 10 my average. If I get 10 shaves the blade is tossed to keep the shaves at the best performance, if the blade does not feel right below 10 it gets tossed. I do not use my Schick razors enough because of my 9 different injector razor rotation so a blade can sit in a razor for some time before it reaches 10 so it could deteriorate a little.
    I find the Personna SS PTFE injector blade is also a good sharp blade and I do not push them past 10 shaves, they are the best cost per shave if you fancy them. Sharp with good longevity and they smooth out over time.
    The B20 Schick proline blade is really is not designed for injectors but for Shavettes because they really do not seat properly because of the round Radis on the corners of the blade. People still use them regardless but you might find them a little more aggressive because they seat closer to the safety bar edge.
    (L) Schick Pro line, large corner Radis and blade is 7/1000 of inch shorter in length than a stand injector blade......(R) Regular Schick blade sitting properly in the blade stops.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Schick proline b-20 vs regular1 (2).jpg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Schick regular vs Schick Proline 4 (2).jpg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(click picture)
    The Twin II Schick injector blades (Japan)are very good for longevity and smooth shaves. I got 32 shaves off the ones made in Japan. If you shave every 3 days> they are prone to plugging and if a person is prone to ingrown hairs you might have to avoid this blade.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Aztecmike and John Beeman like this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I found out that the Japanese Schick single and twin injector blades are made here in the USA. I translated the Japanese text on the back of both packages. Here's a post I did with the translation images:

https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...-blades-from-amazon-japan.65209/#post-1974088

Aztecmike likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct but the Twin II blades might be assembled in Japan possibly, Good old Personna blades. (Edgewell)
    Schick proline P30 blades are made in the USA
    http://tryablade.com/blade/schick-proline-p-30

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. Rusty blade

I have ordered some Taconic injector blades from Amazon. I see they are made in the USA. I will let you know what they are like after a few blades worth of shaves. The price is better than Chicks. Has anyone else tried the Taconic injector blades?

Ron R likes this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’ve thought about buying some but haven’t pulled the trigger.
    I’m wondering if they’re rebranded Personna’s

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They are rebranded Personna blades and yes I've used both.

As far as shaving blades goes there really are only 2 maybe 1 manufacturers if the other jobs out its blades to them. Everything Schick branded is sold by Edgewell. The Gem and Personna brands are Accutec. The rest are rebranded Accutec blades. It is possible Edgewell no longer makes their blades and those are made by Accutec now.

jtspartan likes this.
  14. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

I’ve looked at these in the past and have been put off by the comments. A couple people claim that the blades are in the injector backward, with the sharp edge facing the other way. Still, 60 blades for $26 is a great deal if they turn out to be decent. Please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

15. Rusty blade

Final results -- 10 shaves. I could have cashed in my chips at 9 but managed a 10th shave. I could feel it starting to slip at 8 but kept going. At 10 I felt I was tempting fate, so I ended it there. So it turns out I wasnt that far off with my regular blade change every Sunday or thereabouts.

16. SRQShaver

I take it the blades weren't in backward? Did you find them to be much different from the Schick blades?

17. Rusty blade

Very similar. I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

18. SRQShaver

Good to know. Thanks for getting back to me.

19. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Which are these? How are they branded? These are different than Ted Pellas, Parkers, Supply white-box?

Not to be controversial, but "twin-blade" injector blades seems to go against the concept that you really only need one blade. I've never tried them, but it seems like a step forward (backward?) to using carts. ;)

I haven't been keeping track of how long injector blades last -- I'm trying to be more relaxed about shaving lately, and not be so OCD about everything.
    :p

I can say that they last me more than 7 shaves, which is my self-imposed limit that I put on DE blades even if I could push them further. Since injector blades are pricier, there is more motive to make them last longer.